The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    You aren't making sense again. You don't seem to have understood a word I posted.
    Im not? I dont?

I understand that if liza had read your post #14 she would be wasting her time getting out and manually locking her hubs for 4x4. I understand you have said several times the hubs had to be manually turned/locked for 4x4. What am I not understanding?

Think twice, type once.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

The point is this. There is no way anybody knew what type of system she had; given the information she gave. There are more ways of engaging 4WD on a Ford than ESOF.

Would you say that these two statements are entirely consistent - Given your superior and utterly irrefutable knowledge?

"I understand that if liza had read your post #14 she would be wasting her time getting out and manually locking her hubs for 4x4."

"I will agree, after a little internet image searching, that "LOCK" does appear to be clockwise. That would mean "AUTO" is couterclockwise."

It would appear that the one thing that they do have in common is that CLOCKWISE is LOCK and ANTI-CLOCKWISE is FREE/AUTO (where a different means of engagement may be employed; be it vacuum tubes or splined engagement mechanism.)

The point is this. There is no way anybody knew what type of system she had; given the information she gave. There are more ways of engaging 4WD on a Ford than ESOF.

Would you say that these two statements are entirely consistent - Given your superior and utterly irrefutable knowledge?

"I understand that if liza had read your post #14 she would be wasting her time getting out and manually locking her hubs for 4x4."

"I will agree, after a little internet image searching, that "LOCK" does appear to be clockwise. That would mean "AUTO" is couterclockwise."

It would appear that the one thing that they do have in common is that CLOCKWISE is LOCK and ANTI-CLOCKWISE is FREE/AUTO (where a different means of engagement may be employed; be it vacuum tubes or splined engagement mechanism.)
    It appears I did. Must be my superior and utterly irrefutable knowledge.

What is inconsistent about my statements? I did not say she needed to lock the hubs, only identified which way was what setting.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.

It appears you made a guess which was not based on fact but ignorance of the facts.

In your first statement quoted above you say liz would have been wasting her time by locking her hubs by turning them clockwise; when in fact she would not. They would have locked.

In the second statement you then say LOCK is indeed clockwise.

The inescapable fact is that in order for the front wheels to drive the hubs must be locked in some fashion.
    You either lock them manually or you allow a "device" to lock them.
    If you have no device you must do it by hand.
    If you rely on a "device" you leave the hubs FREE/AUTO to allow the "device" to operate the hubs.
    Hence the instructions say; "automatic hub locks can be manually overridden by rotating the hub lock control from AUTO to LOCK."

"Device" being ESOF vacuum tube gizmo or a splined engagement mechanism.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Mar. 12, 2009 at 09:35 PM.

It appears you made a guess which was not based on fact but ignorance of the facts.

In your first statement quoted above you say liz would have been wasting her time by locking her hubs by turning them clockwise; when in fact she would not. They would have locked.

In the second statement you then say LOCK is indeed clockwise.

The inescapable fact is that in order for the front wheels to drive the hubs must be locked in some fashion.
    You either lock them manually or you allow a "device" to lock them.
    If you have no device you must do it by hand.
    If you rely on a "device" you leave the hubs FREE/AUTO to allow the "device" to operate the hubs.
    Hence the instructions say; "automatic hub locks can be manually overridden by rotating the hub lock control from AUTO to LOCK."

"Device" being ESOF vacuum tube gizmo or a splined engagement mechanism.
    No guess here, she had the dash knob.

My statements are perfectly logical, no matter how you phrase them. She would have wasted her time by manually locking the a-u-t-o-m-a-t-i-c hubs.....period.
    Disclaimer;

The dash knob does not mean she has automatic hubs.
    And locking the hubs is locking the hubs.

The dash knob does not mean she has automatic hubs.
    And locking the hubs is locking the hubs.
    So youve said.
    Disclaimer;

Ya know, it's really pretty easy. Just like almost everything else (except circular saws for example) righty tighty, lefty loosey. Right to lock, left to unlock.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Not to break up the love fest, but... a little info for those with ESOF Fords and auto hubs.

If you find that your hubs are NOT locking when you put it in 4wd, check the vacume pump as there are not a lot of things to go wrong with this system.

- Vacume pump running? If yes, go to next
    - Broken/leaking line to the hubs?

If those things are ok, then the seal around your wheel bearing has gone bad and you will have to manually lock the hubs... now, the real problem is that your bearing is probably going to go out soon.... just FYI.

Also, if your auto hubs do fail, there is a rebuild kit you can get instead of spending $350 EACH for new auto hubs.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

Default when the earth was cooling

I had a 72 pos Jeep truck that I did all the work on. My favorite thing was taking apart the hubs to work on them. they were cool.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have a '69 Series II Land Rover in the middle of restoration right now.