The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

well heck, i'm still confused. i have a 2002 automatic 4x4 f350.
    i never know when to lock the hubs on the wheels or when to only use the dashboard knob.
    my manual is kind of useless, as it was written by someone for whom english is not even their second language. lots of double negatives and doublespeak--hey, maybe it was written by a politician!!
    so i'd love a clear primer on care and feeding of my 4x4 function.

I am not an expert on Ford 4x4 but recent experiments by myself an a team of colleagues show that pushing the switch on the dash is not enough and manual locking of the hubs is required to engage 4L on trucks that have lock-able hubs. It is not readily apparent from inside the cab whether or not the truck has lock-able hubs, unless you count the fact that you are not going anywhere.

We were moving several fleet vehicles out of an unplowed lot and got to experiement a bit with various configurations of button-pushing and hub-locking. We were also unaware that "they still make hubs you have to lock?" at the outset of the experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Maybe you had better re-read the original post, then take a cloth and clean the egg off your face! I've only been driving them for about 25 years.

ORIGINAL POST
    I have a new to me 2001 F-250 4WD. In my earlier 4WD days (the sixties) the hubs were manual and clearly marked lock and unlock.

I seem to have manual hubs that will turn clockwise or counter clockwise but they appear to have been painted or something and I can't read them. My manual is no help and my dealer is less help.

anyone have one that can give me some input. I don't mind getting out to turn them when I need 4WD which is never and would just as soon not have the front differential spinning all the time (I may only know about old technology)

thanks in advance. I doubt it matters but it is the 7.3 diesel
    What part of all Fords (4x4) have dials on the hubs are you having problems with? You honestly believe that with the electronic (knob on dash) 4x4 you still have to get out and lock the hubs?

25 years is a long time to be driving something and still not know what youre talking about.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Quote Originally Posted by silver2 View Post
    I am not an expert on Ford 4x4 but recent experiments by myself an a team of colleagues show that pushing the switch on the dash is not enough and manual locking of the hubs is required to engage 4L on trucks that have lock-able hubs. It is not readily apparent from inside the cab whether or not the truck has lock-able hubs, unless you count the fact that you are not going anywhere.

We were moving several fleet vehicles out of an unplowed lot and got to experiement a bit with various configurations of button-pushing and hub-locking. We were also unaware that "they still make hubs you have to lock?" at the outset of the experiment.
    While I dont doubt your experience; if you had to manually lock the hubs on trucks with the electronic 4x4 ("dash switch") the system was malfunctioning. In some cases it can take considerable time for the truck to automatically lock the hubs, sometimes they will never lock. Ive known some Ford owners to retro-fit true manual hubs to their electronic 4x4 trucks due to the very problem you experienced.
    Last edited by 2bee; Mar. 12, 2009 at 09:22 AM.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.

There are two types of hubs. Those that you have to lock manually and those that are called "Automatic". Those labeled as automatic or electric lock with the forward motion of the vehicle and are notoriuosly unreliable and tend to unlock when the vehicle is in reverse. Either type can be fitted with the cute little knob on the dashboard. I guess you don't have to have much experience to have a big mouth! AND I REPEAT the original poster did not make any mention of a knob on the dashboard.

There are two types of hubs. Those that you have to lock manually and those that are called "Automatic".
    Yep, Ive mentioned that several times.

Those labeled as automatic or electric lock with the forward motion of the vehicle and are notoriuosly unreliable and tend to unlock when the vehicle is in reverse.
    Yep, I just mentioned that (more or less) in the post right above this one.

Either type can be fitted with the cute little knob on the dashboard. I guess you don't have to have much experience to have a big mouth! AND I REPEAT the original poster did not make any mention of a knob on the dashboard.
    Why dont you take a look at post #4 in this thread, then get back to us.

Of course NONE of that has any bearing on the fact your statment "If your hubs are not locked YOU ARE NOT IN 4WD high or low" is incorrect. IF the electronic 4x4 is operating correctly, you will be in 4x4 with the dash control set and the hubs in auto.

How many more ways can I say it?
    Disclaimer;

Let me be more clear.

I have a switch on the dash for 4WD.

My hubs appear to have two settings. I can't read which setting is which.

I need some help as I don't want to tear up my differential.

I need to know if I rotate them both towards the rear or front.

or both cw or ccw.

I do not have a manual shift for 4WD, just a switch on the dash.

thanks for all your help. I still need some.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Hubs (automatic & manual) are used to lock the front wheels to the axles allowing the wheels to be powered. Locking is a purely mechanical action and is insensitive to the electronic 4x4 system. For manual hubs the locking occurs when the hubs are turned to the "Lock" position. For automatic HUBs the locking occurs when the axle shaft begins rotating within the HUB, which causes the splined engagement mechanism to idle up on the engagement cam which locks the hub in the current direction.

HUBs (automatic & manual) are insensitive to the electronic 4x4 system. The electronic 4x4 system only shifts the T-case in/out of 4x4 by means of an electric shift motor and 4x4 computer. The computer is used to determine the current position of the T-case selector shaft which will determine the course of action when the 4x4 Buttons are pressed.

So - Your button on the dashboard shifts the transfer case and you have to manually turn the hubs.
    You rotate the manual hubs CLOCKWISE to LOCK, ANTI-CLOCKWISE to FREE them ON BOTH SIDES.

Hubs (automatic & manual) are used to lock the front wheels to the axles allowing the wheels to be powered. Locking is a purely mechanical action and is insensitive to the electronic 4x4 system. For manual hubs the locking occurs when the hubs are turned to the "Lock" position. For automatic HUBs the locking occurs when the axle shaft begins rotating within the HUB, which causes the splined engagement mechanism to idle up on the engagement cam which locks the hub in the current direction.

HUBs (automatic & manual) are insensitive to the electronic 4x4 system. The electronic 4x4 system only shifts the T-case in/out of 4x4 by means of an electric shift motor and 4x4 computer. The computer is used to determine the current position of the T-case selector shaft which will determine the course of action when the 4x4 Buttons are pressed.

So - Your button on the dashboard shifts the transfer case and you have to manually turn the hubs.
    You rotate the manual hubs CLOCKWISE to LOCK, ANTI-CLOCKWISE to FREE them ON BOTH SIDES.
    Boy, you just keep on with the nonsense dont you?

Taken from the 2001 F250 owners manual;

"Electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) 4x4 system (if equipped)

The 4WD system:

• provides 4x4 High engagement and disengagement while the vehicle is
    moving.

• is operated by a rotary control located on the instrument panel that allows you select 2WD, 4x4 High or 4x4 Low operation.

uses hub locks that can be engaged and disengaged automatically by using a rotary control located on the instrument panel.

• automatic hub locks can be manually overridden by rotating the hub lock control from AUTO to LOCK. Automatic operation of the hub locks is recommended.

• For proper operation, make sure that the arrow and the indicator dot on the hub are aligned.
    "

As we have established, she has the ESOF as indicated by the dash knob (rotary control). So "Your button on the dashboard shifts the transfer case" AND lock the hubs when they are set to "AUTO". Are you still confused about the hubs? 25 years........

I was begining to wonder if I had actually 'willed' myself out of the field all those times........because I never set any Ford hubs Ive owned to "LOCK". The "AUTO" setting always seemed to claw me out, slinging mud on my doors the whole time after I selected 4x4............

I will agree, after a little internet image searching, that "LOCK" does appear to be clockwise. That would mean "AUTO" is couterclockwise.
    Disclaimer;

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    Let me be more clear.

I have a switch on the dash for 4WD.

My hubs appear to have two settings. I can't read which setting is which.

I need some help as I don't want to tear up my differential.

I need to know if I rotate them both towards the rear or front.

or both cw or ccw.

I do not have a manual shift for 4WD, just a switch on the dash.

thanks for all your help. I still need some.
    Here is a link to the hubs that 'should' be on your truck;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3728&viewitem=
    Disclaimer;

Not at all - what you just gave us the benefit of is totally consistent with what I posted - except of course to you.

"Electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) 4x4 system (if equipped)"

All that is established is that there is a knob on the dashboard "for 4WD"
    There will be a knob on the dashboard whether the truck is equipped with ESOF or not. It is entirely possible that the OP has manual hubs and a knob on the dashboard to shift the transfer case. Manual hubs are marked Lock/Free, ESOF are marked Lock/Auto. In either case you lock clockwise and free them anticlockwise. In the case of the ESOF when the hub is moved to "AUTO" (or free) the automatic splined engagement mechanism will then lock on demand when the vehicle moves forward.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Mar. 12, 2009 at 05:07 PM.

HUBs (automatic & manual) are insensitive to the electronic 4x4 system. The electronic 4x4 system only shifts the T-case in/out of 4x4 by means of an electric shift motor and 4x4 computer.
    Not always true. Some automatic hubs operate as you described above. But on many Fords (including my 2001 F350), the auto-locking hubs are actuated by vacuum. There are vacuum hoses running from the hubs to a solenoid valve which is energized when the cute knob on the dash is switched to 4x4 High or 4x4 Low. So the dashboard knob affects both the transfer case and the hubs, IF the knobs on the hubs are in the AUTO position. If the hub selector knobs are in the LOCK position, then the dashboard switch has no effect on the hubs.

Assuming the vehicle has not been modified in some way, 2bee's response is correct. If the transfer case is shifted electrically via a knob on the dashboard, then it is equipped with vacuum-powered autolocking hubs, If the transfer case is shifted via a lever, then the hubs are manual.

Since Liza said she has the dashboard switch, then the truck was built with vacuum-powered autolocking hubs. Theoretically, there should be no need to lock those hubs manually, since they will either be in LOCK (permanently engaged) or AUTO (engage when 4x4 is selected).

BUT, it's possible that the auto-locking system may not be functioning properly. Or it's possible that a previous owner got tired of the auto-locking system malfunctioning, and replaced the hubs with manually locking hubs. If either of those is true, then it might be necessary to lock the hubs for 4x4 to work.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by 2bee View Post
    With the manual stick on the floor, the hubs should read "LOCK" or "FREE", pretty much self explanatory. When you need 4x4 you'll have to get out and "LOCK" the hubs.

My buddy has a 2000, the "LOCK" position is counter-clockwise........that may or may not help you.
    My '99 PSD has the manual locking hubs also, and the locked position is counterclockwise. There is no indicator on the dash, although once you've locked the hubs, using the manual stick to select 2H, 4H or 4L will result in that selection being illuminated on the instrument cluster.

You can probably google the owner's manual for your vehicle year and get the specific info for your truck - most have diagrams.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Not at all - what you just gave us the benefit of is totally consistent with what I posted - except of course to you.

"Electronic shift on the fly (ESOF) 4x4 system (if equipped)"

All that is established is that there is a knob on the dashboard "for 4WD"
    There will be a knob on the dashboard whether the truck is equipped with ESOF or not. It is entirely possible that the OP has manual hubs and a knob on the dashboard to shift the transfer case. Manual hubs are marked Lock/Free, ESOF are marked Lock/Auto. In either case you lock clockwise and free them anticlockwise. In the case of the ESOF when the hub is moved to "AUTO" (or free) the automatic splined engagement mechanism will then lock on demand when the vehicle moves forward.

Lets see; you stated "Locking is a purely mechanical action and is insensitive to the electronic 4x4 system" Incorrect. With the ESOF it is sensitive to the 4x4 system, you turn it to 4x4 and the hubs lock.

Then you stated "So - Your button on the dashboard shifts the transfer case and you have to manually turn the hubs" Also incorrect. When set to "AUTO" you do NOT have to manually turn the hubs.

NO there will not "be a knob on the dashboard whether the truck is equipped with ESOF or not".......it will be the knob or the lever on the floor.

I wont even address the "if equipped" comment from your edit.

I dont see where what youve posted is even consistent with itself, let alone anything Ive posted. At best you have contradicted yourself numerous times in this thread. How about sharing some of what youre smoking?
    Disclaimer;

a little steel wool and some bright sunlight brought me some closure.

and some reading of the manual.

I have ESOF 4wd which is electronic shift on the fly which means I can do it all from the knob on the dash (following appropriate protocols)

there is a dot on the outside of the hub.

at about 10 and 2 (if the hub were a clock) it says lock and auto

rotating the hub ccw gets the auto on the dot

that is how it will stay unless it doesn't work and I need to manually turn them to lock.

I think.

thanks for all your help
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Sorry but I drove a truck with the dashboard switch and manual hubs - from the factory. So it is not quite as black and white as it may appear.

Sorry but I drove a truck with the dashboard switch and manual hubs - from the factory. So it is not quite as black and white as it may appear.

If anyone has, Im sure its you.
    Disclaimer;

You can't beat experience.

You can't beat experience.
    Now that you finally admit you dont have to manually lock hubs for 4x4, why did you hold to the "must turn hubs to lock" nonsense for most of the thread? Surely youve also driven a 'typical' ESOF Ford in your experience?
    Disclaimer;

You aren't making sense again. You don't seem to have understood a word I posted.