The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default please help with my 4WD Ford hubs

I have a new to me 2001 F-250 4WD. In my earlier 4WD days (the sixties) the hubs were manual and clearly marked lock and unlock.

I seem to have manual hubs that will turn clockwise or counter clockwise but they appear to have been painted or something and I can't read them. My manual is no help and my dealer is less help.

anyone have one that can give me some input. I don't mind getting out to turn them when I need 4WD which is never and would just as soon not have the front differential spinning all the time (I may only know about old technology)

thanks in advance. I doubt it matters but it is the 7.3 diesel
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

No help sorry... but I didn't think that they still made locking hubs like that.

My 2000 Ford F-150 4x4 didn't have them

What do you have in the cab, electronic shift or manual stick on the floor?

Either way you're going to have to clean off the paint so you can read the position on the hubs. Or if the markings are damaged, youll need to find a similar truck and note the positions.

With the electronic shift, the hub should read "LOCK" or "AUTO", you want "AUTO". In "AUTO" the hubs will lock theirselves when 4x4 is activated.

With the manual stick on the floor, the hubs should read "LOCK" or "FREE", pretty much self explanatory. When you need 4x4 you'll have to get out and "LOCK" the hubs.

My buddy has a 2000, the "LOCK" position is counter-clockwise........that may or may not help you.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

I have the switch on the dash board (or possibly a knob). I will check.
    Why would I want them anywhere but auto?
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

A vehicle question I can answer! Well, maybe not now that I carefully read the question. Sigh.

On my 2000 F-350, you turn the manual hubs backwards (towards tailgate) to lock the hubs, and forward (towards headlights) to disengage the hubs.

We with manual hubs seem to be the last of a dying breed!

****Edited:***** I was wrong on the hub turning directions. The correct procedure is clockwise to lock, and counter clockwise to unlock. Same on both sides!
    Last edited by oldbutnotdead; Mar. 12, 2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Reread the question . . . . and then corrected my directional error!

I know people who have pulled out the auto hubs in the newer Fords and replaced them with the old skool manual variety!

I have a 1997 F-250 and the hubs are as oldbutnotdead describes

Good to hear there are more of "my kind!"

Beware - clockwise/counterclockwise varies depending upon which side of the truck you are on!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdead View Post
    Good to hear there are more of "my kind!"

Beware - clockwise/counterclockwise varies depending upon which side of the truck you are on!

I wondered about that once I hung up the phone after talking with my buddy.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.

Now I am wondering if I have been doing it wrong. I turn them clockwise to lock and counter-clockwise to unlock. On both sides.

ok, I think that I am right. See this:

http://www.quigley4x4.com/pdfs/warranty_ford.pdf

I went to the parking garage and played with my hubs . . . . I'll check again later today!

I knew I could count of COTH

so backwards (the top) to lock and forward to disengage (auto?)

now when do I do which? I will rarely be using 4WD but need it when I need it.

I lovethis truck. now that it has all new fluids, filters and belts!! ($$$)

Quote Originally Posted by lizathenag View Post
    I knew I could count of COTH

so backwards (the top) to lock and forward to disengage (auto?)

now when do I do which? I will rarely be using 4WD but need it when I need it.

I lovethis truck. now that it has all new fluids, filters and belts!! ($$$)
    i will have to check which way i turn my hubs in the morning. but

i have a 2002 version mine reads lock and unlock, if i am in 4x4 high i leave them unlocked, if i am going into something i dont know i will get out and lock the hubs and switch into 4x4 low.

something i didnt know was to get out of 4x4 low you need to be in neutral then flip the switch to get out of four wheel drive. i drove home from a ride one day doing 30mph cause i couldnt get the truck out of 4x4 low never thought to read the manuel

Clockwise = lock (clock/lock)
    Anticlockwise = unlock
    BOTH SIDES
    If your hubs are not locked YOU ARE NOT IN 4WD high or low.
    To engage/disengage 4WD low, transmission must be in neutral.

I was wrong! Equibrit and the poster's friend were right! Clockwise to engage 4x4. Counterlockwise to disengage 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Clockwise = lock (clock/lock)
    Anticlockwise = unlock
    BOTH SIDES
    If your hubs are not locked YOU ARE NOT IN 4WD high or low.
    To engage/disengage 4WD low, transmission must be in neutral.
    Well I dont know about the clock/anti clockwise for sure, (just going on the second hand, over the phone info) but liza said she had the dash knob which means electronic 4x4. Her choices will be AUTO and LOCK. When in AUTO the hubs will lock after a few seconds and she certainly WILL BE in 4x4, placing the hubs in the LOCK position will allow for immediate 4x4 should the situation call for it. The LOCK position also serves as a backup in case the electronics dont get the hubs locked, wish my Chevy had a switch on the hub.
    Disclaimer;

The OP's question was about manual hubs which are found in the centre of the front wheels. Not that cute little knob on the dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    The OP's question was about manual hubs which are found in the centre of the front wheels. Not that cute little knob on the dashboard.
    I see you are completly unfamiliar with Ford 4x4.

She stated; "I seem to have manual hubs", then "I have the switch on the dash board" indicating electronic 4x4. Either way, Ford hubs (or "centre of the front wheels" as you put it) have the dial to select "AUTO" vs. "LOCK" on the electronic 4x4 and "FREE" vs. "LOCK" on the manual 4x4.

You stated "If your hubs are not locked YOU ARE NOT IN 4WD high or low", that is incorrect. If you have the electronic 4x4 (the OP appears to) then you WILL be in 4x4 after you flip the cute little knob on the dashboard, with the hub set to "AUTO". Placing the hub dial in "LOCK" is not necessary with electronic 4x4.
    Disclaimer;

Don't worry about clockwise or anti clockwise. THINK, tightening (right turns)or turning a screw in, LOCK's the hubs
    UNLOCK the hub, undo the screw(turning left) loosen the jar lid, turn left

Usually the vechile has to be in nuetral to move the centers of the hubs, then get back in the truck, put the truck in gear, and SLOWLY engage the transmission and speed.

Leaving it on auto, if you have a dash knob, the free wheels the 4WD differentials. Better gas mileage than always being in 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by 2bee View Post
    I see you are completly unfamiliar with Ford 4x4.
    Maybe you had better re-read the original post, then take a cloth and clean the egg off your face! I've only been driving them for about 25 years.

ORIGINAL POST
    I have a new to me 2001 F-250 4WD. In my earlier 4WD days (the sixties) the hubs were manual and clearly marked lock and unlock.

I seem to have manual hubs that will turn clockwise or counter clockwise but they appear to have been painted or something and I can't read them. My manual is no help and my dealer is less help.

anyone have one that can give me some input. I don't mind getting out to turn them when I need 4WD which is never and would just as soon not have the front differential spinning all the time (I may only know about old technology)

thanks in advance. I doubt it matters but it is the 7.3 diesel