The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default horse hit by car - newspaper report-update post#35

I was sued! Anyway here is the newpaper article - I wanted to get the link here while it is still good. He has 10 days to appeal so I won't comment anymore until after that. Please don't criticize me, I have had to defend myself enough. I plan to write up the complete story after the appeal time is up and send it to some horse newspapers. I want people to understand the laws and what to do if this happens to them. I also plan to go to my township and ask for horse crossing signs on the road (though I doubt I will ever ride there again) there are horse farms on both sides of the road.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...rse-rider.html
    Last edited by Flying Hippotamus; Mar. 17, 2009 at 10:43 AM. Reason: update

I'm so glad you and your horse are alright!!!!! That's an absolutely horrifying accident!

You poor woman. I'm glad Dancer is okay. Cover all your bases next time, reflective wear and a camera. Good luck in the upcoming show.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

This kind of crap really gets me wound up. People just don't frickin understand that horses are not machines, they have minds of their very own. You cannot just hit the damn brake pedal and expect the thing to stop.

Sounds like the horse will be ok. Good luck in court.

Glad to hear you're both okay now. Whew!

Love the comments at the bottom of that article...:

As this happend at my house I knwow the details

That guy was an ass. he was driving over the speed limit, wasn't paying attention and had the nerve to sue her!

I hope there is a special place in hell for him.

The guys in the van also left the scene of the accident and didn't return until a couple of hours later and then demanded money.

The Bridge is technically a one lane bridge and from where we found the blood spots of the impact it was apparent that she was the coming off the bridge.

Also the weather was clear and visibility was excellent. Also that portion of the road you have clear visibility for about ½ mile My assumption was that they went to have a little "Christmas cheer" panicked ran off to sober up then came back
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Default i was thinking of you since you posted about this back then.

interesting how the driver didn't take the stand... what's that all about???
    i realize you're unable to comment at the moment.
    i'm looking forward to your post once the time for appeal runs.

i'm also curious if you were defended by private counsel or by your renter's/homeowner's/or equine liability insurer.

i ride on the roads through much of winter and all year round to some extent while crossing roads to follow our trail system. in my experience drivers wholly disregard riders and horses and do not slow down. we have a law in nj that imposes a speed restriction when passing a horse and rider but i doubt if people even know about it. i've also found that when you motion for people to slow down, it seems to make them speed up - perhaps that's the new jersey attitude.

anyway, i hope he doesn't appeal and that you can put this whole thing behind you. also glad to hear your horse is doing well.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

That's awful! Very glad you and your horse are going to be ok.

This hits close to home, as much of the year, the roads are the only places I have to ride without trucking out.

Motorists are CLUELESS about horses and it shows in the way they whiz past giving the horse absolutely zero clearance.

I have begun to wear a neon yellow traffic cop jacket and my horse has 3M reflective tape on her breastcollar, bridle and legs. I have also wrapped a long dressage whip in bright orange hazard tape and I USE it to direct oncoming traffic away from my horse.

The cars have a choice, slow down, move over, or hit my whip. It works fairly well and I feel much safer for it. Thankfully I only have to travel a short distance on a busy road, but it only takes one.....

Default Daatje

i started carrying the whip too. saw my gf doing it. i had an idea of tying a flag at the tip of it but your idea of wrapping reflective tape on it sounds even better. i'm going to do that. thanks

couple of years ago someone gave me ankle boots with reflective tape on them. i put them on my mare when we ride the roads. every bit helps and if nothing else, i can point to all the steps i undertook to protect myself and make us more visible in court when we get sued...
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Congratulations! And thanks for posting to let us know how it came out.

The judge gets to decide what the facts were, and based on the facts in your case it sounds like you did exactly the right thing. I can't believe the driver had the nerve to sue you and I'm glad to see it didn't get him anywhere.

Also happy to read neither you nor your horse had any lasting damage.

Default Good for you!

First, I hope you and your horse are A-OK!

I'm so happy to hear the judge's ruling! I truly this I think made a difference.

"While District Judge Maggie Snow sympathized with Pilon, she sided with O'Neill. "Your car hit her horse; her horse didn't hit your car," said Snow, who noted she herself has been a horse rider for many years."

People just do NOT realize that anything can happen when driving by, or behind a horse & rider. Or someone hand walking a horse for that matter! Horse people know, but the general public JUST. DOES. NOT. <-------that comment doesn't necessarily apply to what happened to you, the guy HIT you. He should have stopped and waited until you were well out of the way. But my point is, anything can happen when dealing with horses.

I sometimes ride or hand walk along a two lane private road. The only people going in or out are people who live up the hill behind gates (not horse property). You would not BELIEVE how fast they travel EVEN when they see horses. Or kids on bikes or people walking dogs!

Glad things turned out as they did; I think you were lucky getting a judge that rides!

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by spacehorse View Post
    This kind of crap really gets me wound up. People just don't frickin understand that horses are not machines, they have minds of their very own. You cannot just hit the damn brake pedal and expect the thing to stop.
    Any horse I'm riding along the road had damn well BETTER STOP if I "hit the damn brake pedal"! There's enough potential idiots to be encountered on the road without my horse being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    Any horse I'm riding along the road had damn well BETTER STOP if I "hit the damn brake pedal"! There's enough potential idiots to be encountered on the road without my horse being one of them.
    All I was getting at is that it just isn't that simple. You always like your mounts to be obedient, but it just doesn't always work out perfectly like we would all like it to.

Glad to see another santimonious A**hole!

As someone who breeds, raises and trains horses, i can tell you clearly don't "get" it. Ya know, someone has to take that green horse (to traffic) and ride it in traffic for the first time. Horses don't become traffic safe without some real work (that includes lots of prep work). But eventually, there has to be a first time. Clearly, you like to buy en broke and then brag about how you only take those with brakes out on the road. Well...you know what, that means someone else had to test those brakes and train those brakes cause it sure the h**l wasn't you, was it!
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post

As someone who breeds, raises and trains horses, i can tell you clearly don't "get" it. Ya know, someone has to take that green horse (to traffic) and ride it in traffic for the first time. Horses don't become traffic safe without some real work (that includes lots of prep work). But eventually, there has to be a first time. Clearly, you like to buy en broke and then brag about how you only take those with brakes out on the road. Well...you know what, that means someone else had to test those brakes and train those brakes cause it sure the h**l wasn't you, was it!
    How can you control a horse's rump when a car is about to hit it at the edge of a one lane bridge?
    Good for you OP for running after your horse to make sure it was OK.
    I can only wonder why the guys left, they probably thought they'd killed both you and your horse, did a cop ever run a breath or blood test on them? Wait a minute, I read the article and the owner wasn't driving or in the van? Uh, maybe he was and went home and switched drivers due to drinking? Happens a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Cielo Azure View Post

Three Cheers to you Jill!! You and a few others hit the nail on the head. I get so many jerk off drivers on our county rode who honk, swerve or are just plain rude and won't slow down.

Another time I was driving my mare with the cart, coming down a driveway at breakneck speed was a young punk kid in his truck, came screaming around the corner and fish tailed toward us. Smoke kept up her steady pace though her ears swiveled forward as I asked her to come over. That was the only time my mentor reached over and not saying anything took the lines from us as the truck kept up a quick pace toward us. He came so close I could of spit in his window and hit him easily, never slowing down!!

We have horse and rider signs on either side of our road, and I have even gone so far as to side pass my horse and start waving like an idiot...once they do slow, as I do wear a bright orange vest, and ask them as politely as I can to PLEASE slow down. Same with my neighbors.

Unfortunately we have idiots who think because we horse folks have horses, we must be rich. Others think were just idiots to be on the road.

Are all your horses computerized so you can program them to act a certain way? Or are you one of those who are rough and discipline for any small infraction so the horse is too scared to be a horse and act out of fight or flight??

A big thanks to all who defended my statement.

I'm glad to hear that everyone is OK and that the judge sided with you. One place we trail ride ( actually part of a state owned park!) had a blind entrance from the horse trail to the road - very difficult to see if it is clear before you are actually up and on the road. They have warning signs, but you still see people fly through that area. I have to pass through there to get to our barn and I'm sure i piss other drivers off when I come around the turn and slow down, especially on "good trail riding days" just in case a group is crossing. And if I see them peeking out of the trail - I'll stop and let them through.
    Said thing is that some people are so ignorant that they don't care what they hit if it is in their way.