The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Quiessence, do you use it

have you used it, what are you feelings about it.

I want to get this out of the way first off - I am not using this supplement as a QUICK FIX, I am working both my horses properly and with a trainer.

BOTH of my current horses are currently on it and while I've not seen a HUGE difference in Harriett's Cresty Neck; Pete is a far more calm horse recently. So much so that the trainer ventured up into the Mountains and he did very well. (I posted about this yesterday)

Here is a definition taken from Foxden Equine Nutrition & Therapy website:

Quiessence® is a Magnesium and Chromium formula designed to support calm, balanced behavior in equines. It may also help animals who are cresty-necked to reduce the crest, and may help reduce the tendency to founder by supporting normal glucose metabolism and increasing peripheral circulation. Quiessence® is natural and legal, with no known side effects.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the
    Riders with Fibromyalgia & Adult Re-riders Clique

I use it- I did a major diet overhaul so I can't say if it works or not, but he's doing well. I bought the big bucket and after it runs out, I'll leave him off it to see what happens. It's cheapest at dover, if you have a store in your area and don't have to pay shipping.
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    It's cheapest at dover, if you have a store in your area and don't have to pay shipping.
    Foxden is located in Stuarts Draft, VA and offers the 50lbs. bag for $180 + shipping. It's the cheapest I've found it, having seen the 50lbs. bag for $285 + shipping.

I'll give Dover a call and see what they have it for. I'll be out of the 5lbs. bag by Friday.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

Nope. Have tried it, never found it did anything. FWIW.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Nope. Have tried it, never found it did anything. FWIW.
    Um, what is FWIW? I've seen that a lot lately and have no earthly idea what it means?
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

Quote Originally Posted by VAHorseGurl View Post
    Um, what is FWIW? I've seen that a lot lately and have no earthly idea what it means?
    I believe it means For What It's Worth.

I have been using it since October and some days I think it has those magical calming powers and some days I think it's a waste (I use it for my sometimes spooky, ADD horse). I have recently tried Mare Magic and I think I get better results from that.

Really? I tried Mare Magic and didn't see any change in my ADD mare and was thinking of tryng Quiessence.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Melyni Worth, owner of Foxden, posts here on COTH. I recently attended a fairly informal talk that she gave on Cushings/IR horses and she was very open to receiving emails if people had questions. If you're considering it for your horse or you've already started it, but you're not sure that it's working as you need it to, why don't you either PM her or get her email from the Foxden site and contact her that way. She may have another recommendation for your horse or have an idea to further help the overall nutrition of your horses.

Quote Originally Posted by bellboots View Post
    I have been using it since October and some days I think it has those magical calming powers and some days I think it's a waste (I use it for my sometimes spooky, ADD horse). I have recently tried Mare Magic and I think I get better results from that.
    Thank you ThoroughbredFancy for the definition of FWIF.

Bell, since my spooky horse is my gelding, I don't think mare magic would work, or would it? My mare is the one with the cresty neck and fatty deposits, but she's only been on it less than a month now. Per her weight on February 21, she was getting 3.5 scoops of it daily.

I've only noticed that her cresty neck is somewhat softer, but I haven't measured it yet to see if it's decreased in size yet. I'm hoping to do that this weekend.
    Chronicle of My Horse
    Secret Passage Ranch
    **a member of the

Quote Originally Posted by VAHorseGurl View Post

I've only noticed that her cresty neck is somewhat softer, but I haven't measured it yet to see if it's decreased in size yet. I'm hoping to do that this weekend.

The softening is generally the first thing you'll notice before it begins reducing. I had my stud on it last year just for fat pads and cresty neck. Within 2 weeks the crest had gone from rock hard to soft and squishy. It began decreasing a couple of weeks later. I only had him on it for a couple of months before winter set in and I pulled him off of it. He's really laid back but it really calmed him down even more. Didn't notice the calming effect until I ran out of it

I will be putting him back on it this spring along with a mare of mine. I have tried tons of other magnesium supps and this is the only one that made a difference at all. You'll only notice a difference if the horse is magnesium deficient. Some can't tell a difference at all and some folks love it. Just depends on the individual horse as to if you'll notice a difference or not.

Use it and yes, I see a difference in my horses' necks.

You can buy MagOx (magnesium oxide) at your local feed mill for about 40 cents a pound. I can't imagine why anyone would pay thirty times the cost for other products.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    You can buy MagOx (magnesium oxide) at your local feed mill for about 40 cents a pound. I can't imagine why anyone would pay thirty times the cost for other products.
    Because some of us see no results from magox, that's why. I saw no results from Magnesium Oxide, Remission, or Thia Cal. I DID see results from Quiessence. I sure wish I didn't so I could save some money but I saw it work for my horse and I saw PHYSICAL changes. Don't belittle people who happened to have good results with a product and you didn't

Tried both Quiessence as well as a generic Vitamin E/Selenium supplement. Saw no effect from either.

I think if your horse is mineral deficient, you might expect to see a result. If you horse isn't, then you're not going to see any effect... simple as that.

I find MUCH better and more universal (though not entirely universal) calming results from Calm and Cool with valarian.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Did use it and saw a difference. However, they changed the "flavor" and my mare refused to eat it! I've since changed her feeding program and am using a ration balancer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Did use it and saw a difference. However, they changed the "flavor" and my mare refused to eat it! I've since changed her feeding program and am using a ration balancer instead.
    No, they didn't change the flavor per se. Each batch is different because it's used with distillers grains. If your horse refuses it, call Foxden for a replacement. My horse wouldn't eat it either and I mentioned it on here and Melyni told me to call them and explained why each batch would taste different.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

yep. On a 3/4 percheron. We saw an immediate difference in temperament. She used to be tense, unable to focus and unwilling to "give". Tended to be a bully. She immediately calmed down, was able to focus and interact softly with us and stopped bully-ing. In a week-2 weeks. Shes been on it since last summer and we've definitely seen a reduction in her crest.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Because Quiessence isn't pure Magnesium Oxide. It also contains chelated Magnesium, and some form of Chromium. Chromium's quite a bit more expensive to add to a diet than Mg is, from what I've heard.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

VAHorseGurl -

Yes - I give Mare Magic to my "spooky, grumpy, don't touch me" gelding. I was just browsing at the feed store and the description on the bag caught my eye ("for marish mares...and spooky geldings"). It was cheap so I bought it to see what it was all about. I am doubling the dose as per the SmartPak site suggests. I showed my horse this past weekend at an indoor arena - it usually freaks him out so bad that I think he could go bald. This time, however, he was as calm and cool as he has ever been. Now he wasn't perfect, but he was so much better than past shows it was almost weird. The only change was the Mare Magic.

If anyone thinks that his symptoms suggest ulcers, you are correct - he had ulcers in the past and we think he has a very sensitive tummy that is related to his very sensitive brain. He has done 2 rounds of Gastrogard and is on daily Ranitidine, which helps tremendously.