The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Solar-powered lights for my hayshed - price, installion...?

I have a hay shed - guessing about 30x30 - that is quite dark. I want to get some lighting in there, just one little light (a 60W bulb would be all I need), and I can't imagine I'd need it more than 5 minutes a day - just long enough to see what I'm grabbing for early AM and night check hay feedings. We try very hard to be "green" here, so I thought a solar light might do the trick.

Googling solar lights? A bajillion results, everything from little solar-powered lawn lights to solar panels for my roof!

Can anyone help me narrow my search perameters? What would the cost of such a thing be? And I barely passed high school science, and never even took shop, so is this in my capabilities to install?

TIA!

They have solar lamps/lights at walmart- easy to install. Bright lights. 180 or 270 degree coverage. You can get very sophisticated as well- but I did see these easy-types in Walmart last week. I wanted to get some but figured I'd be back for them. I haven't been back or I'd give you much more info...
    They were around $100

we use one of these, we call it the night light for when we just need a little light (we are 100% solar in the barn) but this is a supplment light that we use occasionally. This particular light could not be easier to install.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0014_200360014

Javasmom, How much light does the bulb throw? ...
    I am really interested in how you are 100% solar in your barn.... most of the solar lights I have seen are too dim for use in stalls....
    L

That little unit is not really bright. It's fine for what I use it for: checking water, tossing a flake at night, night check type things. It's like a single lamp light brigtness.

Our regular lights are flourescents and it is very bright with those, our electrician put reflectors to direct the light where we want it. Everyone stops, pauses, looks at how bright it is and says... this is solar? Really. I know very little about it, my husband and the equipment manufacturer figured it all out.

Here is a link to a previous and similar solar question I addressed here, this gives you the mini-tour of the solar set up. The barn is 24x36, lights in the aisle, loft, stalls and overhang:
    http://javasbarn.blogspot.com/2008/12/solar.html

We now have two panels up on the roof, and additional batteries to store more and make sure we have enough. It has been relatively easy to set up.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Javasmom, that is an ideal set up for a barn.

Any idea how much the total setup cost you? And better yet, any wiring diagrams?

I'd love to imitate you.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I got a nice little light for my auxilliary hay barn. It has a solar panel about the size of an open pocket book, 15 feet of cord, and a 5-LED light array with on/off pull cord. It gives plenty of light for moving hay. Cost was about $20 on sale at the local hardware store.

Hey Thanks!!

Going totally solar in our barn - Each panel, now we have 2, cost between $700 and $800 each. The electrician wired us beautifully, switches where I want, outlets where I wanted, etc, for I think it was $1800, including the materials (wire, lights, reflectors, bulb guards, etc). THe box that is like a battery costs I think around $100. We added more batteries, probably tack on $200. We also power our water pump with it. However, we do not have a hot water heater in the barn.

IF we had not gone solar, we first of all would have electric bills for the barn. Secondly, we would have additional material fees and have to dig a trench to line, and connect to that... permits, blah blah just sounded so messy. The cost after it is now all done net net would have probably been the same to be on the grid as off the grid, but it was fun, and I"m very happy with the set up. And, the lighting is great. Any vet or farrier can see well, and no complaints.

The solar motion detector lights have been great too. They all cost under $100, and light my way every night up to the barn beautifully.

The "night light" garage light thing is a good just in case light for seeing at night.

We ordered most of our stuff from Northern Tool.

wish I could find the link, but Target was selling some solar positionable "flood" lights last year. It was $25 for solar panel, rechargeable batteries and 3 flood lights. The lights are outdoor decor lights, for a flag or landscaping, etc. They're only 3led

BUT they are nicely designed, the interior of the hooded flood is mirrored and faceted, it bounces the light around quite a bit. I purchased two set ups, so I had 2 panels to install and 6 lamps to spread about. My barn is about 40x24 divided in 3, a hay stall, a narrow tack aisle down the middle, and a run in. I have 2 in the stall, two in teh aisle, one by the hay and one by the door.

I wouldn't read by this light, but I can certainly fix a meal or toss hay, or clean a hoof, read a thermometer, etc.

for the money it wasn't bad, and though the light is weak, I liked having several units to position.

I can't find them on the target website though... I tried 4 kinds from target, walmart and lowes... the ones at target, branded target, were by far the best.

I have been looking into solar lights also, EBAY had a few that might work like this one. It is motion activated.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Maxsa-Solar-Powe...160319630563QQ

No details, but I've seen smallish solar lights at TSC. We were looking at them when the ice storm knocked out our power for 9 days.

I'm loving this topic! Keep the ideas and stories comin'!

Javasmom-I LOVE your barn. It is very charming and well laid out. I'd live in that barn!

The SO has been forewarned! It helps he is in construction and has all the contacts.

Anyplace one could view the layout sketches?

Default solar fans

I was wondering about solar fans for my run in shed. Any ideas.
    Also depending on how your place is laid out I have had great luck putting a 500 watt halogen light on top ( 2 story) of my house that points at the paddock and run-in shed. It lights up the place so bright i could clean the paddock at night and saved me the $ of running power to the shed row. Great for checking the horse late at night w/o leaving the house. I am so lazy.......
    so are there solar fans?

Sam's Club has a great solar light with remote control for $39.00. I've used one all winter in my barn as my electric wasn't completed. It's been flawless. They also have a motion control light that may be brighter - I'm not sure - but I wanted the steady "on". This is plenty bright enough for your needs.