The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do you feed your Aussies?

I know I'll probably get a gazillion different responses, but I am looking to potentially switch feed for my 2. I am looking for something affordable, not the super duper expensive stuff.
    I feel like they are getting a bit too plump on my current feed...
    I feed them a "maintenance feed" that contains this:

Crude Protein 21.0% Minimum
    Crude Fat 12.0% Minimum
    Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
    Moisture 10.0% Maximum
    Ash 5.5% Maximum
    Calcium 0.9% Minimum
    Calcium 1.2% Maximum
    Phosphorus 0.7% Minimum
    Phosphorus 0.9% Maximum
    Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
    Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.2% Minimum
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.3% Minimum

"what do you feed your aussies?"

Yorkshire Terriers.

horse poop, littler box suprise, hoof trimmings, tupperware, sponges, lord only knows what else..... hehehe

I really like Purina One foods, they're higher quality than their basic Dog Chow lines, but still available in the grocery stores, and affordable. You may find that some weight maintence formulas are not really restricted calorie. Legally they only have to have less Kcal per cup if the bag is labeled 'restricted calorie" or 'low calorie'. A lot of the 'weight management' or 'weight loss' foods aren't really any different than the regular foods.

As far as brands go, Iams and Eukanuba are both on the higher end and tend to be a little fattier. Purina One is good, Royal Canin, Wellenss, Nutro are all good, but pricier. Also feed less than the bag reccomends, because remember they are in the buisness of selling food, so you feed more you buy more......

Default my two

"what do you feed your aussies?"

Yorkshire Terriers.

There was a little white dog in my yard a few days ago that was convinced this was true!

Mine get Iams. Their vet commented that he wished all 8 yo dogs were in as good of shape at their last appointment. I've tried cheaper brands in the past but found I had to feed more of it so wasn't as much cheaper as it seemed initially. Thanks to another COTH thread, I've added a spoon of plain yogurt as one of them tends to be a bit gassy.

horse poop, littler box suprise, hoof trimmings,
    Mine also supplement their diets with these as well as some things I'd rather not try to identify.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Pet Promise (aka the Whole Foods brand..) it's the only pet food my aussie will eat willfully. He is a strange one, but apparently stuffed animal parts fill him up... and dirt. he eats a lot of dirt.
    But at least this brand is "all organic!" and "all natural!" and has a decent mix of all the right nutritional content.. you know. to supplement the dirt.

Kirkland, from Costco.

I was looking into switching to BlueSeal food, but its the same food for double the price.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    Kirkland, from Costco.

I was looking into switching to BlueSeal food, but its the same food for double the price.
    After reading another thread here I tried the Kirkland food for the first time. They are 1/2 through the first bag, and so far so good anyway (no refusals, no gas, no change in 'output'

I had gotten unhappy with Iams recently and so did the dogs; don't know what changed, but it seems more like Purina One with a semi-inflated price.

I was feeding ProPlan, but they've added these 'shreds'. First they loved it, then they started picking around all the shreds.

I liked Canidae, but its price seems up and down more at my feed store, and was sometimes just too high.

eagle pack holistic with salmon. my aussiex is a sensitive boy with skin to match! it is pricey tho.

Quote Originally Posted by asanders View Post
    After reading another thread here I tried the Kirkland food for the first time. They are 1/2 through the first bag, and so far so good anyway (no refusals, no gas, no change in 'output'

I had gotten unhappy with Iams recently and so did the dogs; don't know what changed, but it seems more like Purina One with a semi-inflated price.

I was feeding ProPlan, but they've added these 'shreds'. First they loved it, then they started picking around all the shreds.

I liked Canidae, but its price seems up and down more at my feed store, and was sometimes just too high.
    I was just in pricing a whole bunch of foods, and to get the equivelent food it would almost triple my price per pound, even with the incentive plan of buying 8 bags at a time!
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I feed Science Diet Natures Best Lamb and Brown Rice to all my dogs, the two aussie crosses and the rhody cross and the brittany. They all are doing well on it, and like the taste.

I have 11 dogs, one of which is an Aussie. He's 12 this year, and everybody gets good old Purina Dog Chow. I tried Iams for awhile, but the labs wouldn't eat it. I tried some other stuff and somebody always didn't like something. But everybody eats the Dog Chow and I'm not running a buffet.
    They get the occasional side order of horse turds too.
    Everbody is shiny and not quite fat, no skin or hair problems and nobody smells. No excessive gas either, except from the Rottie, but that's a Rottie thang.

eta: the aussie is getting on in years and he just had to have some major surgery on his ear canals (twice) so he gets about a cup of the Dog Chow with a small can of Mighty Dog and his supplements. The MIghty Dog because he was having some trouble chewing the dry food after his surgeries. But prior to the surgeries he got the dry food same as everybody else and ate it right up. He doesn't get the traditional ground canned food, he gets the chopped up kind with the sauce/gravy on it to make sure he eats all the dry stuff too
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Blue Buffalo puppy and Blue Buffalo adult (am thinking of changing the adult to some kind of diet food for the older dog as she seems to have gained weight this past year).
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

My aussie gets Wellness Core Reduced Fat (Core Lite). It is grain-free and reduced fat/calories. Ginger is 10 this year and has epilepsy.

I order it from SmartPak by the sack as I live in the boonies and do not have access to specialty foods.
    Last edited by Boomer; Mar. 15, 2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: add order info

Default Blue Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by Buffyblue View Post
    Blue Buffalo puppy and Blue Buffalo adult (am thinking of changing the adult to some kind of diet food for the older dog as she seems to have gained weight this past year).
    Buffy Blue: Blue Buffalo makes both a weight control formula and a senior formula. You may want to try one of those before switching to another company.

Default Blue Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by red mare View Post
    Buffy Blue: Blue Buffalo makes both a weight control formula and a senior formula. You may want to try one of those before switching to another company.
    I was definitely thinking that - since my older dog has developed a sensitive stomach (diarrhea issues) in the past year or so and I've had the best luck with this food. I was getting her the sweet potato blend for adults. I'll have to go on the website and see which of the two I should try. She will be 10 years old on April 8th! I'm wondering if I should switch the puppy to adult now that she's a year old . . . hmm. Thanks, Red Mare!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

If you're looking for affordable but ok ingredients look for Taste of the Wild. Pretty much any of the "common" brands you can buy in grocery stores/ big box pet stores are a total rip-off. Very over-priced considering the low quality of the actual ingredients. If you can get it, Diamond Naturals is well worth its price of less than a dollar a pound, but still not exactly a food to brag about, but at least its price reflects its value, unlike say Eukabana or Purina One or Iams. Wellness Core has really nice ingredients but is approaching $3 a pound.
    Good primer on how to read dog food labels: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....e=labelinfo101