The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dumplin' is back from Cornell with a new lease on life! Update Pics added!

We made it back from Cornell in one piece...Dumplin' was an angel in the van. LOL! You should have seen him hop right in and out, what a good boy! They scoped him and all is good, nothing amiss and the guttural pouches are sparkling clear. They peeked at the lungs and all is good there too. So they did a set of rg's to check for abscesses and all is fine there too except he needs to have the dentist do some work so we are back on Friday morning! So all that worry for nothing (you were right Lori!) he is probably poking himself in the nose somehow and causing that tiny bleeding himself.

The ultimate fun adventure, and I mean this seriously, was the eval by Mike Wildenstein. He is one of the top farriers in the world, and he took one look at Dumplin's little leg and said "I can make a PROFOUND difference in this horses life". I asked him how profound it could be and he came back with this little metal and plastic shoe, popped it on and had him walk...WOW! So now Dumplin' is the proud wearer of a special corrective shoe and a new client of Mike's. Oh my God...you should have seen the tears in my eyes! His little hips were squared right up and he was able to really walk and use that leg. It WAS PROFOUND!!! I am still so overwhelmed at the difference. It is going to require a trip to Cornell every 5 weeks but he is such an easy keeper and such a good, good boy. His quality of life will be so improved by this, and the farrier department is incredible there so why not do whatever I can to make his retirement the best it can be right?

So all in all it was a relief. I thought I was going to vomit in the exam room during the scope! Such a RELIEF to know he will be fine!

The entire staff at Cornell was nothing short of wonderful. Dr. Fubini, Dr. Reesink, our Vet School intern Catherine Hall (she'll be heading back to GA and graduating this year for all of you in the Athens area...FABULOUS girl!), Mike Wildenstein, the resident Farrier, and the entire support staff...just incredible. All of them!

We go back on Friday for dentistry with Dr. Rawlingson then his mouth will be all set for a while.

WHEW!

I am waiting for the rain and mud to clear and then I am going to shoot a little video and take some pics. I'll post them later
    Last edited by equineartworks; May. 23, 2011 at 11:52 PM.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

That is one. lucky. pony!!!!!!!

What a nice adventure for everyone!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Hooray that he's feeling so much better!

I have to say, Dumplin' is quite possibly one of the luckiest equines on the planet EVER.

(Also, can I come live with you? )
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

Still beaming from your emails and text message.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

So glad to hear Dumplin is doing much better.

Hey, I never realized how close you were to where my folks used to own property....Sanford NY!--Right off 17 onto 41 - My grandfather lived there until his passing in 1997. Some of my happiest memories were of summers and three-day weekends at our property. We were nestled in a lovely valley on Clark Road.

Loved going to the Afton Fair every year and watching the drafts in the horse pull while picking at a huge funnel cake.

Oh and don't forget Lumberjack Days in Deposit
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Aww congrats on the successful trip!

We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

equine, I too can't say enough about Mike. He trained my farrier whom I have had for more than 10 years. Mike is so under appreciated at Cornell. They nearly lost him a few years ago b/c of the eggheads there. Thank God smarter minds prevailed.

Glad to hear dumplin is doing so well.

I missed the thread about him having to go to Cornell!!!
    What happened??

Did you bring along his marshmallows?? I guess it's a good thing I didn't know...I would have been worried sick and staying up nights. He's the cutest little thing EVER and I'm SO glad he's back on his pegs!!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

heheheh all the years I have known Dumplin and never had a clue his little crooked leg could be fixed. hahaaha so where have you been all his life hmmmmmmmmmmm. Just goes to show, its never too late to love.

I miss that little guy.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

awww...Lori. I bet he misses you too. I always tell him how proud you would be of him! He has really settled in and completely "claimed" us all now. I think he is very happy. He spent this afternoon "helping" Todd build him another new Mr. Ed door.

It was really a case of luck that this all happened. My Vet (who I LOVE!) spent much of her last year of school in the farrier building working with Mr. Wildenstein so she when she saw his little leg she was very hopeful he could help us and put in the referral for us. We found out that no amount of corrective trimming would have ever really made a difference, which was what we were working at. Now I feel bad that he could have this right from the start and the snow would have been so much more enjoyable for him. At least I know next year he will be able to run it and roll like a crazy man.

I took him out in the field for a walk this afternoon, nothing big because he is sore of course, but man o man! You should have seen that little old man trotting along...with no coaxing from me!

It was a teary eyed moment for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
    I missed the thread about him having to go to Cornell!!!
    What happened??

Did you bring along his marshmallows?? I guess it's a good thing I didn't know...I would have been worried sick and staying up nights. He's the cutest little thing EVER and I'm SO glad he's back on his pegs!!
    lol!

Oh yes, there was a bag of mini marshmallows for the trip! Now he is back on boiled carrots and apples and "good for you" snacks until Friday when we go back

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    So glad to hear Dumplin is doing much better.

Hey, I never realized how close you were to where my folks used to own property....Sanford NY!--Right off 17 onto 41 - My grandfather lived there until his passing in 1997. Some of my happiest memories were of summers and three-day weekends at our property. We were nestled in a lovely valley on Clark Road.

Loved going to the Afton Fair every year and watching the drafts in the horse pull while picking at a huge funnel cake.

Oh and don't forget Lumberjack Days in Deposit
    Lumber Jack Days!!!! Wooo hooo! I've been there many many times! My Dad and his friends had a hunting lodge (read that as a very old house with no plumbing and a woodstove) and we spent so many weekends in Sanford at that place! I can't remember what road it was on now...it's been what? Maybe 30 years since I was there last. I think it may have burned down if I remember right.

I'll be going to Cornell for vet school this fall...meeting Mr. Wildenstein absolutely sold me on the school. After talking to him for 10 minutes I knew I wanted to go there, because I think an understanding of the horse's hoof and shoeing is so important for equine vets. I just hope he can shoe my horse when I bring her!

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    Lumber Jack Days!!!! Wooo hooo! I've been there many many times! My Dad and his friends had a hunting lodge (read that as a very old house with no plumbing and a woodstove) and we spent so many weekends in Sanford at that place! I can't remember what road it was on now...it's been what? Maybe 30 years since I was there last. I think it may have burned down if I remember right.
    Oh if they hunted in Sanford, then they did their pre-hunt shopping at Diddiwigs in Deposit. EVERYBODY goes to Diddiwigs! hehehehe, I just love to say the name!

Upstate is the only part of NY I truly miss. Summers at Camp Cherith in The Adirondacks (Corinth...above Saratoga Springs), the Catskill Game Farm, Lake George/Paradox Lake, etc. etc. etc.

Mr. C'Mare and I vacationed up there in 2002....spent a lovely week at a GAWJUS Bed and Breakfast in Bainbridge. Now that I know you're "in the neighborhood," we'll have to schedule another trip up.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

LOL! Boy do I have stories of vacations in the Adirondacks lol!

Colleen I too lost track of Dumplins adventures ( hangs head in shame and sighs) but I am glad to know that the bloody nose was nothing more than his Secret Adventures in Pony Mischief

And corrctive shoes... I have seen those little shoes on foals, I bet the farrier was happy to have an easy and useful tool to help Dumplin.

I imagine the muscles over his loin are in for a new workout as the hip is back in its proper place. Dont be surprised if you find tenderness soon.

you know, while you are grooming that rug.

Here "The Big Shed" has started.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Hoopoe, he is so cute...he will walk a bit and stop and turn his head and look down at his leg like "huh? When did it start doing that?!?!?" then he give this whatever kind of look and keeps walking That shoe is just worth its weight in gold!

I was just laughing about the Big Shed. He was out eating his breakfast and this giant puff of fur just fell off...ahhhhh...spring....

Colleen, that is wonderful news! Bless you for all you have done for Dumplin!

I wonder sometimes what life would be like right now if Lori hadn't taken him and I hadn't pm'd her about him??!??! He has taken over all our lives here at home

I remember asking Lori and thinking there was no way she would let him come up here to the tundra and not letting myself get too excited. SO much has come about because of that pm! It was all meant to be...

Quote Originally Posted by cleozowner View Post
    I'll be going to Cornell for vet school this fall...meeting Mr. Wildenstein absolutely sold me on the school. After talking to him for 10 minutes I knew I wanted to go there, because I think an understanding of the horse's hoof and shoeing is so important for equine vets. I just hope he can shoe my horse when I bring her!
    I know what you mean! I wanted to go to vet school myself! lol! It was just awesome there!