The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Stallion Suggestions for Holsteiner Breeding

Hi guys! This is my first time posting in the Sport Horse Breeding Section.
    I am the proud new owner of a Premium Holsteiner Mare named Camilla.
    She is out of a stallion named Literat and a dam named Laurina. Her pedigree can be found at http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/camilla73
    I just got a great video from Karen at Fox Fire Farm. They seem to be one of the top suppliers for semen in the states. Given that breeding does anyone have any personal experience with any of these stallions, or could you suggest a stallion for me.
    Thanks so much!
    AGR

I've met Camiros and Ariadus in person, they are both exceptional stallions. Karen is also great to work with.

What about your mare would you like to improve, and what are your goals for the foal (jumpers, dressage, etc)?
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

Photos of her would help. Are you looking at frozen or fresh semen stallions?
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

I've had foals from several stallions Karen represents: Ariadus (3), Camiros (1), Linaro (3), Quinar (1 expected next month), Lorentin (1) and Cheenook (1). Each of them were different, having come from different mares, but each did what I had hoped they would do with the mares. If your mare's name starts with "C", she is 21 years old, so I would avoid frozen unless she's been bred with it successfully in the past. What is her foaling history? What do you plan to do with the foal? What attributes are most important to you to produce?
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

I think my mare is absolutely darling. She was an upper level dressage horse until an accident landed her with a broken shoulder. I think as far as proportions go she is near perfect. I think I would like to breed some height in more than anything. She stands around 16.1 h or so.
    I love dressage but that isn't my forte, so id breed primarily for jumping ability although im the kind of person who thinks that a horse should do what its best suited to.
    Id love to visit Fox Fire though, ive fallen in love with this breed! And Karen seems so nice.

You might want to take a look at Cunningham, too (17+ hands, Cassini I x Contender). As his breeding indiciates, his jump is phenomenal. He's also gorgeous and wonderfully well-mannered with a terrific show record (2x national champion conformation hunter, going for #3, while also beginning his career in the Amateur adults/Ammie Owners). I have 2 Cunningham babies I'm delighted with.

Photos would help folks to recommend an appropriate match in terms of conformation...

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    You might want to take a look at Cunningham, too (17+ hands, Cassini I x Contender). As his breeding indiciates, his jump is phenomenal. He's also gorgeous and wonderfully well-mannered with a terrific show record (2x national champion conformation hunter, going for #3, while also beginning his career in the Amateur adults/Ammie Owners). I have 2 Cunningham babies I'm delighted with.
    Ditto that. I have a Cunningham mare that I adore. I found her because I was looking for a horse from the Cassini I/Capitol line -- as that's my personal fav. But, I also bred a mare using Karen's Stallion, Cicero (sadly he has passed), who was from the Cor de la Bryere line.

The mares could NOT be more different, but both are high quality sport horses. You have lots of options in the Holsteiner "world" for both temperament and physical ability.

As others have suggested, pictures and "specific wants" on your part will help everyone here give the best advice.

Good Luck!
    Seb

p.s. I have nothing but respect for both Karen (Foxfire) and Mary (Wildwood), both were GREAT to deal with...
    Aca-Believe it!!

Paardfolken has the following progeny listed;

Name Birthyear Sire Dam Dam sire Sexe Studbook
    CERCADO 2004 CASSINI II CAMILLA II LITERAT Stallionselection Holst
    GARDY 1992 GRUNDYMAN XX CAMILLA II LITERAT mare Holst
    INDRA IX 1994 AURELIO I CAMILLA II LITERAT mare Holst
    KASSANDRA IX 1995 CORRADO I CAMILLA II LITERAT mare Holst
    NAOMI V 1998 CASSINI I CAMILLA II LITERAT mare Holst

The mare by Corrado I appears to have been a premium something or other (I can't actually read the language, but bezirkspremie sure tips me off!) and other descendants are also premiums (http://www.paardenfokken.nl/progeny.php?horseid=125914)

Her daughters and granddaughters have been bred to; Canto, Quinar (x4), Cassini I, Chello I, Cristo, Cassaro and Cathargo.
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

Also, this mare was double entered into Allbreedpedigree - the more accurate one is here, which shows many of her descendants (when it feels like it!) and I have deleted the other entry; http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/camilla+ii6
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

Default Cassiano

Anybody have any foals by the young stallion Cassiano? I have a lovely TB mare and am trying to decide between Cassini II and Cassiano. Input anybody?

I have a mare I acquired called Loulou 4 also by Literat, and the dam sire is also a TB, but instead of Holsteiner on the dams dam, she has Dutch. But intersting to see a similar breeding.
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

cher6780 Guest

Default Literat Fan

Sorry...a little off subject, but I have a 7yr old Literat son. He is the BEST horse I've ever ridden, much less owned. He's toatally bred to jump (His mom is by Corrado I) But I do dressage with him and he just qualifed me for my USDF silver medal in 2 shows, his first time out at 4th and PSG. I don't hear much about Literat or see too many babies out there....So I'd love to hear more about him....and my boy's brothers and sisters!

I think we had the first Cassiano in the US (maybe only one???). He was very, very nice although he was also out of our best mare. Here is video of him as a coming 2 year old. He was sold to a trainer in NY. Coming 4 this year, we should see him in the ring soon.

http://www.silvercreeksporthorses.co...ciendoTrot.wmv

http://www.silvercreeksporthorses.co...ciendoJump.wmv
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!