The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to prevent future Bucking? (and help with Rider fear)

Is there really any feasible way to prevent a buck or train it out of the horse (besides just riding through it)???

Or, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to help a rider overcome fear related to prior bad accidents from bucking? How can a rider learn to deal with the occasional buck calmly and with confidence when they have been hurt several times and are afraid of getting hurt again? Not to mention they are at an age where they don't bounce as much anymore...

Any thoughts, experiences or ideas would be appreciated.
    Last edited by LookinSouth; Mar. 10, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

They can't buck when you get them going fast enough.

Consistently not letting them get by with it. I think that's about the only way. Most horses will eventually quit this habit (for the most part...), but I think it's more about the rider learning to anticipate the buck. I know many buckers just do it randomly, but there are usually warning signs, though sometimes very slight. As soon as he even THINKS buck, you make it completely clear that he will NOT, then you get back to work immediately. No resting and recovering.

With known buckers, I usually try to give them a lunge with the saddle on to let them "get the kinks out" and then hope for the best but be prepared for the inevitable buck. Some horses really just need to get that buck or two out before they'll settle down, no need to fight it. Once in the saddle, if the horse consistently gets firmly reprimanded for his actions, he'll usually find an easier way. So probably no "cure" like you can sometimes do with a rearer (hot water ballon over the head, etc). But this is usually a habit that can mostly be minimized to the point of almost not being there.

If the rider in question needs a little brushing up on her technique on how to ride through and reprimand a buck, it's something that's pretty easy to demonstrate by a more experienced rider. Also, a horse that is convinced that whoa means whoa and responds to your voice is much easier to verbally "scare" or "soothe" (whichever is most appropriate) out of bad behavior if you feel it coming.

Even big bucks while running up hill are not that bad, momentum is in your favor. When I have known feel good buckers I always wait until we can be cantering up a hill to get the initial bucks out. Are they over horsed? How long have they had him?

The horse may have had a little extra energy and let out a playful buck. Horses are living creatures, not robots.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Even big bucks while running up hill are not that bad, momentum is in your favor. When I have known feel good buckers I always wait until we can be cantering up a hill to get the initial bucks out. Are they over horsed? How long have they had him?

The rider is not overhorsed but has had several bad accidents as the result of "buckers" so needless to say riding out the bucks isn't what they want to do. Up until the now the horse hasn't done anything wrong.
    We think that maybe the horse is testing the rider as she hasn't had him more than a few months....

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post

not true. I've had a bolting horse at a GALLOP headed home buck 4 times and on the 4th got me off..

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    The rider is not overhorsed but has had several bad accidents as the result of "buckers" so needless to say riding out the bucks isn't what they want to do. Up until the now the horse hasn't done anything wrong.
    We think that maybe the horse is testing the rider as she hasn't had him more than a few months....
    You're probably right. I had a friend who got a mare and that mare had her number. My friend, while sort of a pretty rider to look at because of the finishing school posture but not a good rider, did not have hands independent of seat. The mare was very sweet and you could put almost anyone on her but she learned very quickly that if she just dropped her head she could unbalance this particular rider. This changed very quickly to some decent sized bucks.

If she is trailriding, is she riding in a western saddle? That sometimes gives a little more security than an english saddle. Also, don't let the horse get it's head down. Unless extremely athletic, talented and determined, most horses can't give a good buck without putting their head down. If the horse pulls the reins out of her hands and she has soft hands then use a bit that gives her a little more leverage. But I'd be concerned that there are experience issues if this rider does not do these things naturally (keep the head from going down) and changing a bit is only going to do more harm than good if your friend is an insecure rider and may make the bucking worse if she hauls on the horses mouth as the only means to stop the behavior.

If she is trailriding, is she riding in a western saddle? That sometimes gives a little more security than an english saddle.
    she's currently riding in an english CC saddle. Nice leather but not a whole lot to help hold you in. I suggested a deep seated, suede seat Barrel saddle so maybe that would be the next step. She didn't end up coming off but she is very scared of getting hurt again so she's not sure what to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    Is there really any way to "cure" a bucker?

Lets assume the horse has a saddle that fits, isn't sore behind, is not overly hot/young, well trained, has been in regular work and just out of nowhere decides to put in two fairly bad bucks going uphill while out on trail and departing into the canter. Lets assume the horse had no reason to be overly excited since the one horse in front transitioned to canter in a 100% calm and normal fashion. In addition, lets assume the horse has cantered behind other horses in the past 100% fine.
    In other words there is no logical reason why the horse would buck but the horse bucked bad enough to scare it's owner though luckily they stayed on.

Is there really any feasible way to prevent an unpredictable bucker from bucking(besides just riding through it)??? Any thoughts, experiences or ideas would be appreciated
    I think she was probably holding him back and he has learned to run up hills.

Also I wouldn't call this horse an "unpredictable bucker"; I would call it a HORSE.

If she is VERY scared then maybe she has the wrong horse. He has now done the dirty deed and she's going to have trouble trusting him, especially if she has serious fear issues. Either that or I'm projecting my own issues on her! I broke 4 ribs in my last fall and have fear issues I'd never dreamed I could have.

I think though that if she was cantering uphill, the bucks really couldn't have been that awful. So is it fear making them seem horrible or are they truly horrible. There is a big difference between a feel good big buck and a nasty, I'm going to get you off my back buck. Which one was it?

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    I've seen TB's bucking pretty hard while galloping pretty fast. In fact one set out bucking during a big Australian race a couple of weeks ago.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

If she is VERY scared then maybe she has the wrong horse. He has now done the dirty deed and she's going to have trouble trusting him, especially if she has serious fear issues. Either that or I'm projecting my own issues on her! I broke 4 ribs in my last fall and have fear issues I'd never dreamed I could have.

I think though that if she was cantering uphill, the bucks really couldn't have been that awful. So is it fear making them seem horrible or are they truly horrible. There is a big difference between a feel good big buck and a nasty, I'm going to get you off my back buck. Which one was it?

You make excellent points and I think you might be right...that the fear might be making the experience seem worse than it actually was. I did not see what happened. We don't really know if it was a feel good big buck or a nasty type big buck. My guess is *maybe* a feel good big buck as the horse continued cantering forward afterwards w/o continuing bucking.

I wouldn't be too quick to label the horse a "bucker" that needs to be "cured" if this is the first time it has happened. Even if there were two in a row, and even if they were big. Give the horse a break... just see if it happens again, and go from there. But if you start thinking, "oh no, now he's a bucker," I bet he'll live up to your expecations.

And even if someone doesn't have a REASON to hold a horse back, and even if they SAY they didn't, that doesn't mean they didn't. Heck, if you asked me, I would usually SAY my heels are down and my back is straight, and I have no reason to ahve my heels up or my back roached, but it's not always so simple. I'm not sayign that's her problem- just don't ask for advice then get all defensive when someone gives you a probable response.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Personally I would not call a horse, a bucker, if he has bucked on 1 ride and only 2 bucks, espically a bucker that needs to be cured. If he wanted her off, he would of gotten her off. He is a horse on a trail and maybe he felt good and let out of couple of bucks. I would not completely freak out and call him a bucker because of that. I would call him a horse.

WOW 2 whole bucks! Damn I would consider myself lucky if I rode a horse that never ever bucked. They are horses not robots.

Tell her to get over it.

No maybe if she rides him again and he bucks okay maybe there is a problem but on 1 ride and 2 bucks. WOW really. I think she is overreacting.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    I wouldn't be too quick to label the horse a "bucker" that needs to be "cured" if this is the first time it has happened. Even if there were two in a row, and even if they were big. Give the horse a break... just see if it happens again, and go from there. But if you start thinking, "oh no, now he's a bucker," I bet he'll live up to your expecations.
    your probably right, I am only trying to help the friend. I dont' really think the issue can be "cured" just looking for honest suggestions rather than assumptions and criticism on how I word a post..but this is COTH afterall...surprised? Nah.

Now if you have an actual, confirmed bucker... of course it can be "cured." My mare was a nasty, nasty little bucker until I got her... took her off sweet feed and put her on Strategy, and she hasn't bucked since, except for tiny little happy-dances once in a while. So if it DOES become an actual problem, check the feed.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

Not sure what happened to your last post, but maybe the better question is how to help a rider get over previous accidents. No matter hte horse, that will be the bigger issue if her fear is getting in the wya that much.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    Not sure what happened to your last post, but maybe the better question is how to help a rider get over previous accidents.

suggestions?