The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fake Tails

As someone returning to the show ring after more than twenty-five years I'm often surprised by which things have changed and which are still the same. One thing that I can't quite understand is the use of fake tails. When did this start and why and do people really think it looks good? I can see maybe using one if a horse has a particularly damaged or unattractive tail but what's the point otherwise? I find it distracting to watch a horse go around with an obviously fake tail.

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    As someone returning to the show ring after more than twenty-five years I'm often surprised by which things have changed and which are still the same. One thing that I can't quite understand is the use of fake tails. When did this start and why and do people really think it looks good? I can see maybe using one if a horse has a particularly damaged or unattractive tail but what's the point otherwise? I find it distracting to watch a horse go around with an obviously fake tail.
    That's the thing -- you only "notice" them if they are bad. The dozens of good fakes that are well matched and properly attached aren't noticed. You simply think "My, that horse looks good."

My horse wore a fake and I absolutely 100% promise you that you wouldn't have known.

I mean, we're talking hunter fakes here, right? Not those WP atrocities. Those are a different story completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I agree if it is done correctly, it should look great and you shouldn't notice it. Although, I don't feel they work for horses with really short/ scraggley tails becuase you can see the wig through the horse's naturally whispy tail. In those cases, is it better to see the wig obviously? Not braid the tail? Mudtail?

Just wanted to add that the tail doesn't need to be braided for the fake to be attached. My horse wore his fake every day but was only braided one day a weekend.

I wasn't sure if everyone knew that. I didn't until my braider told me and showed me how to put the tail in.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I agree that you shouldnt be able to notice the fake tail. I have one for my mare. She has a lovely thick tail up top but it thins out at the bottom, so I use a very small 1/4 lb tail. Its just enough to fill out the bottom and look very natural.

I once went to a line show and there was a horse in the ring with an obvious fake tail.. its all you noticed and I think took away from the horse. Though looking at him after, I noticed several "issues" that the handler was likely trying to hide. but it was also attached wronf and every time he lifted his tail you could see the natural tail and fake seperate.. it looked really bad.
    Love Story Equestrian - Orangeville,ON,Canada
    Quality,Relaxed, and Affordable Boarding

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    . One thing that I can't quite understand is the use of fake tails. When did this start and why and do people really think it looks good?
    You were looking at fake tails 25 years ago and just did not know it because they were high quality and properly "installed".

Nothing new.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

As an 'installer', I can tell you there are WAY more fake tails now than ever. 20 years ago, not ten per cent of my horses had fake tails. Now, probably 3/4 of them do. You notice them more now, because those awful braided together at the top and too short and banged off at the bottom tails were sold by Bevals and Dover and were relatively inexpensive. It seems everyone got one and no one cared if it was the right thing.

The problem now is too many horses are walking around with overly large tails and the horse with a regular sized good tail suddenly looks like it doesn't have enough, when in reality, the other horses have too much.

Fake tails are like boob jobs: if you can tell, you did too much.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post

You notice them more now, because those awful braided together at the top and too short and banged off at the bottom tails were sold by Bevals and Dover and were relatively inexpensive. It seems everyone got one and no one cared if it was the right thing.
    I try to do my part! Every time someone posts about where to buy a fake tail I always say "have your braider mix one for you."

Sometimes they just won't listen...

And your boob analogy was PERFECT!

Too funny! And true.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

As an 'installer', I can tell you there are WAY more fake tails now than ever. 20 years ago, not ten per cent of my horses had fake tails. Now, probably 3/4 of them do. You notice them more now, because those awful braided together at the top and too short and banged off at the bottom tails were sold by Bevals and Dover and were relatively inexpensive. It seems everyone got one and no one cared if it was the right thing.

The problem now is too many horses are walking around with overly large tails and the horse with a regular sized good tail suddenly looks like it doesn't have enough, when in reality, the other horses have too much.

I totally agree.

When I got my current hunter, I was thrilled because he has a beautiful tail. (All my previous horses have been a little tail-hair-challenged, LOL.) I was amazed when my then-trainer suggested buying him a tail!

I admit that when he is standing next to those "double D's" in the ring, his tail doesn't look as full... but he goes "natural" anyway. I keep hoping that the WP pleasure look will fall from grace one of these days; some of those horses just look odd with enough tail hair for a mini herd...
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Where is a place to get a good tail??

HAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    I try to do my part! Every time someone posts about where to buy a fake tail I always say "have your braider mix one for you."

Sometimes they just won't listen...
    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Bound View Post
    Where is a place to get a good tail??
    The irony
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
    The irony
    What about the few of us who braid our own and don't know a braider? I braid my own, my horse does need a little fill, and I have no clue how/where to get one! I have not needed one yet but will need one eventually. So I don't think that is a stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by TweedADeedle View Post
    What about the few of us who braid our own and don't know a braider? I braid my own, my horse does need a little fill, and I have no clue how/where to get one! I have not needed one yet but will need one eventually. So I don't think that is a stupid question.
    I didn't say it was stupid, I said it was ironic.
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by TweedADeedle View Post
    Then go and talk to your friend's braider. She'll match it, mix it, make it, and show you how to install it.

Lemme put it this way, if you show at a show big enough and nice enough to require a fake tail, there will be braiders roaming the grounds at all hours of the day. If you see someone walking around with multiple skeins of yarn exploding from her belt loops, flag her down.

I had to use a fake on my mare when we showed the hunters - she had a beautiful tail when I got her and one day she just came in from the field with a little scraggly thing that barely came to her hocks. I have no idea what happened. So we bought a fake tail from a tack wagon at a show. It was really nice, not straight at the bottom, very natural-looking and you couldn't tell when we put it in. Horse had enough tail left to conceal it braided or unbraided, and mom grew up showing saddle horses, so she was kind of a pro at putting one in.
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/Ashley26

"You keep one leg on one side, the other leg on the other side, and your mind in the middle." -- Henry Taylor, "Riding Lesson"

My old horse had no tail. It hit his hocks and that was it. I put tons of product in to make it grow...no such luck.

New horse...has a nice tail and I never touch it. I actually had to cut it :faint: because it was dragging on the ground. However, it is thin and needs to be thickened. When I get to the level that it actually matters I will get him a fake tail. Right now, it doesn't matter.

I also like the boob job analogy. At the one show series I do, the tails are so thick that is is obvious.
    Last edited by AppendixQHLover; Mar. 11, 2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: NEED more coffee....

Default Breeding Classes YHUS

Heres what I don't get, and mind you I am not against a fake tail piece to enhance "the picture".
    In the in hand classes or strip calasses the rules state you can't use fake anything???? So why @ Devon for instance was horse after horse being pinned w/ obvious fake tail pieces in the YHUS classes???
    One gray had such a huge abundance of tail if wet would have drug him down.
    No sour grapes mine pinned w/O one, because I left his off!