The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    And I agree it gets old when they do it, but they must enjoy hearing me because they bring the subject up over and over.
    No. We don't enjoy it. You just seem to really get under the skin of those who don't shut off their heads or hearts to the pathway of each horse that they have responsibility for.

I listen to JSwan. She never gets me under the skin. She is logical, and is fair, and can accept slaughter as a reality. But you have this way of drilling it in to the first layer of the heart that really ticks true horse lovers off.
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    LouLove - OTTB - 1992-2008...miss you my pretty red girl...
    Wilde! NEW - OTTSTB - 2004 Gelding...my heart's new journey...

Lou: I love your tagline "It's 2009. Do you know where your old horse is?"

Kinda says it all. ....and yes, I know where each and every old horse of mine is.

Helping Hearts Equine Rescue in NJ rescued a large pony from a local lesson program that had been dumped at the local auction. She's about 25, and has a hitch in stifle. She would have been on the truck to slaughter but the auction owner contacted the rescue. Anyone know a solid APP mare fitting this description that was recently giving lessons in central NJ?

I'm a true horse lover and it doesn't tick me off at all I'm betting theres other true horse lovers as well that aren't. Sounds like a generalization me.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

I think you must also look from different perspectives. I strongly support animal research. I know the benefits. In all my years of research, at numerous universities (as student, faculty, visiting) I have yet to meet a researcher who in any way abused their animals; all did what they could to minimize pain and suffering - which, I do appreciate, does not mean it has never happened. It is a major reason why I use the model system I do, which is not mammalian (heck, it's not vertebrate). But personally, I cannot bring myself to work even with rodents.

I have one horse. Unless the $$ start flying in, I can't ever see myself owning more than two at a time, if that. Ted has a home with me forever. Period. If anything happens to me, I have money put aside for his care (which would piss the hell out of my niece if she knew Ted was getting the money and not her!). If he lives to be 30, and 10 of those years are as a pasture pet, that is a responsibility I have chosen to shoulder.

But then, I do not breed horses, I do not make my living selling horses, I am not someone rising through the ranks of my discipline.

All I ask, if that if there must be slaughter, that it happens humanely, with minimal pain and suffering, and it happens quickly and with minimal fear. And I feel this way for all animals, not just horses.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I'm going to call DDA this morning- will update and let you know. I was just as surprised to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by suniday View Post
    DiablosHalo - I was under the impression that it is against the law in DE to bury a horse on your property. I am in Sussex County, so I wonder if Kent and New Castle Counties are different?

I would also like to know about the new rendering fee/State assistance. When I had to use the renderer about 3 years ago it was $250 plus around $150 for the vet. I have a 25 y.o. guy whose time will come sooner rather than later.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DiablosHalo; Mar. 16, 2009 at 08:19 AM.

DiablosHalo - Thanks!

Looking forward to seeing what you find out.

..... I just talked to DDA. Apparently, a letter was sent out to all the state vets last year and it IS now illegal to bury any large animal- cow, horse, buffalo, etc. citing water quality concerns. The regulatory agency on this issue is DNREC with guidelines sent to DDA.

The state started the rendering cost share to help the cattle owners dispose of their large animals. I'm still waiting for a response from a different person at DDA about the rendering cost share situation.

No actually slaughter is what feeds millions of people and the people involved in it are very very responsible types. I 've known 1000's of them all my life they pay their bills, raise food, go to church, raise families, do every thing any other responsible type person does.
    As did many millions of Germans when Hitler was in power. Responsible acts do not cancel out immoral ones. It's immoral to participate in something that causes misery to other living creatures and disengenous to assign to it a benefit. After all, who's going to starve if the supply of horse meat from the US was cut off?

And it's "they're" not "their". (Did you notice you're spitting?)

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    As did many millions of Germans when Hitler was in power. Responsible acts do not cancel out immoral ones. It's immoral to participate in something that causes misery to other living creatures and disengenous to assign to it a benefit. After all, who's going to starve if the supply of horse meat from the US was cut off?

Surely I'm not reading this right. Surely you are not comparing the Holocaust to horse slaughter?

And it is "disingenuous", not "disengenous".

I never go near slaughter threads because of their extremely volatile nature, but here goes:

Oh, never mind. People will hear what they want to hear. My opinion won't change anyone's mind.

Carry on with your arguments.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

BabyGreen did you notice your the one whos spitting??? ROTFLMAO I love those who give English lessons but need them themselves shows just what a joke they really are.

BTW no ones going to starve if the supply of horse meat from the U.S. is cut off. Same as the supply of beef, pork, and poultry. Not sure what your point is?

Yay! Godwin's law finally invoked!

I wondered how long it would take to compare Hitler to eating meat usually someone does it long before this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    If people really want to cut down the # of horses that go to European dinner plates, the only way it will happen will be a PR campaign in Europe that informs THEM about the type of medication and chemicals that are in horsemeat that comes from the US and Canada. THAT is where the efforts need to be ramped up.
    OR that could completely backfire and end up with us having a lot more restrictions on what we can and cannot give our horses.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Actually, it's not. They're is the contraction of "they are". So really, you do say "pay their bills" not "pay they are bills".
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

SevenDogs what is getting old IMO is people that slam anyone thats pro slaughter at every turn to me its Ad naseum. I get it their anti slaughter and for every name they call someone and every time they slam anyone that does something other then the way they do it I'll keep responding as I do. People get it? No actually I don't see anything that indicates they do at all.

Actually, the context of the use above would call for "they're". I think country just got excited and forgot his grammar.

I'm not arguing against eating meat. What I object to on moral grounds is supporting/encouraging/permitting the acts of those who bring misery to living creatures, whether horse or human. And I personally believe that applies to all slaughterhouses and transport thereto.

No I didn't forget anything its just not important to me. As long as the person reading gets the meaning thats all I care about. If they don't get it ask and I'll explain.

I also object on moral grounds those who bring misery to any animal IMO all species deserve humane treatment

I love my horse the way I love my dogs and cats. On some levels even more. I would not ever take a horse that I could not give a forever home. Period. In fact, I love the fact that they can have such a lengthy lifespan. That means that I have more years to love them! That is for better or for worse too. My animals all have provisions made for their care so that if anything happens to me they will live out their lives the way I want them to.

I am curious of something...how many who oppose horse slaughter eat meats, eggs and dairy from commercial sources? You know, grocery store meats. And I don't mean to sound judgmental, I judge no one...I just really am curious.

*eta* I agree with cloudyandcallie...It's a shame this dear old soul didn't have as many people pulling for him before he needed it most
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    I think you must also look from different perspectives. I strongly support animal research. I know the benefits. In all my years of research, at numerous universities (as student, faculty, visiting) I have yet to meet a researcher who in any way abused their animals; all did what they could to minimize pain and suffering - which, I do appreciate, does not mean it has never happened. It is a major reason why I use the model system I do, which is not mammalian (heck, it's not vertebrate). But personally, I cannot bring myself to work even with rodents.

I have one horse. Unless the $$ start flying in, I can't ever see myself owning more than two at a time, if that. Ted has a home with me forever. Period. If anything happens to me, I have money put aside for his care (which would piss the hell out of my niece if she knew Ted was getting the money and not her!). If he lives to be 30, and 10 of those years are as a pasture pet, that is a responsibility I have chosen to shoulder.

But then, I do not breed horses, I do not make my living selling horses, I am not someone rising through the ranks of my discipline.

All I ask, if that if there must be slaughter, that it happens humanely, with minimal pain and suffering, and it happens quickly and with minimal fear. And I feel this way for all animals, not just horses.
    Here Here!