The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default One eyed Harry from Lisa Ballard/Fox Point Farm (DE) lesson program slaughtered :(

Edited to add: This original post is looking for anyone who knew this horse's fate. He was a horse that many cared about, and should have never ever wound up at New Holland Sale and a horse slaughter plant in Canada.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexb...s?msg=34600.99
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bay gelding. Sold at the end of the day? Presumably to the killers?

Any and all info is appreciated... The rescues that frequent that auction have been contacted.

Thanks!
    Last edited by FatPalomino; Mar. 11, 2009 at 09:41 AM.

Default Any help appreciated!

COTH community-

I know that there are quite of few people from this community that frequent New Holland periodically.

An elder gelding was sold at New Holland on 2/2/09.

Description:

29 y/o Solid Bay gelding, large white star. Stands approx. 15.2 hands.
    Of special mention: only has one eye.

Link to picture: http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexb...s?msg=34600.24

The horse was given to someone WITH a written contract (per the OP on AB) that has been violated. New Holland reports that a 'rescue' bought this elder gelding, not sure how reliable that information really is. I know that there are many private individuals that rescue that others are not aware of, any help in locating this elder gent would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
    Last edited by Marli; Mar. 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: additional info

Bump for Harry

Unhappy

It's been posted on Alex Brown's that the horse was shipped.

RIP Old Man

Default Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by appdream View Post

RIP Old Man
    can't we have a thread where we out people who violate these agreements and send horses to be auctioned for slaughter?

I swear I'll put mine down before I'll let that happen to them. Besides mine are pets.
    Better to euth your horse than the scary frightening auction and then the ride to the slaughterhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by appdream View Post

RIP Old Man
    Damn.

Hope the previous owner pursues any remedy available to him/her.

Makes my heart ache.

There's a good Kentucky case where a woman gave her 2 horses to someone with a contract to return them if she ever didn't want them anymore. The woman who got the horses immediately sold them for slaughter, so when the owner went to check on them they were already dead, and the owner sued, and found the guy who had bought the horses and won.
    However, monetary damages don't replace their lives. She did however get punitive damages, which at least punished the wrongdoer financially.

RIP Harry ..

wonder what the backstory is on this. Did somebody really believe that another person wanted to take on caring for an elderly, one-eyed horse? Did the donor know the person s/he dumped the horse on? I realize there could be all sorts of extenuating circumstances, but there sure are a lot of trusting and/or irresponsible people around.

I'm always curious as well.

But someone who barely knew me trusted me with their horse...... and he's still here. I haven't heard from the owner in years.

Quote Originally Posted by RainyDayRide View Post
    RIP Harry ..

wonder what the backstory is on this. Did somebody really believe that another person wanted to take on caring for an elderly, one-eyed horse? Did the donor know the person s/he dumped the horse on? I realize there could be all sorts of extenuating circumstances, but there sure are a lot of trusting and/or irresponsible people around.
    I know his backstory - if you want to know send me a pm. I am not comfortable posting until I know all the details.

This just sucks so badly.

Harry, a noble old critter who served his people well for almost 30 years, pays the ultimate price because his "people" failed him. He was not unwanted.

We need one heck of a better tracking system. I can't tell you how many horses I just know someone loves and would do anything to bring back.... I see the horse at the feedlot, but have no way of tracing the horse's identity or the previous owners.

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post
    This just sucks so badly.

Harry, a noble old critter who served his people well for almost 30 years, pays the ultimate price because his "people" failed him. He was not unwanted.

We need one heck of a better tracking system. I can't tell you how many horses I just know someone loves and would do anything to bring back.... I see the horse at the feedlot, but have no way of tracing the horse's identity or the previous owners.

Yeah- it's called ending slaughter

Seriously though, everyone fights against a tracking system proposal (not mentioning any names of alledged programs) and yet we still have to hear about this sort of heartbreaking crap. Even with microchips, tattoos, and branding so auctionhouse, kill buyer, commercial slaughter hauler, or slaughterhouse is going to track anything. Me thinks they rather enjoy their little biz of shady inhumane nonethical behavior cause afterall they have to make a buck and put food on the table (cause we all know there isn't another job they could do- wtf???).

Oh but it's such a necessary evil... (roll eyes and where's the barf icon?)

RIP old man- hope you had one of the better "hell" trips.

I have to respond to the "tracking program" comment and the "program" you refer to.

NAIS is NOT intended to find your lost or stolen horse, ok? If anyone wants to have their horse tracked - have a microchip inserted - one that brings up the information needed to contact the owner. Or brand it. By all means do something.

Scanning the chip required under NAIS will bring up nothing but a premises ID number and there will be no way for ANYONE to connect that number to an owner. The contact information is not available to any member of the public, horse rescue, auction worker - or government employee UNLESS there is an outbreak of disease. And even then the premises ID numbers are used by USDA and state vet staff to conduct a traceback within 48 hours.

Whether a person is pro-slaughter or not doesn't matter. This is not a "slaughter" issue. NAIS is about tracing an outbreak to its source. Period.

If you want your lost or stolen horse to be recovered, or you work in horse rescue and want to help horses - do NOT rely on NAIS. Even in a best scenario case where the owner information might be made available - the goal of NAIS is to perform a traceback within 48 hours. By then the horse is long gone.

All anyone would be able to find out is where that horse was scanned on its way through the pipeline. By then..... what would be the point? The horse is dead.

Before you people jump all over me remember that I'm a horse owner too. I want to be able to recover them if they become lost or stolen, and I want to be able to prove to a rescue or shelter worker or law enforcement that the horse is mine. NAIS won't do that.

JSawn, I've talked with some folks from the local USDA office that are very familiar with the NAIS system. From the little I know, I believe you are very right. It wouldn't be helpful in a case like this.

Even branding horses is not an easy way to trace them. They vary from state to state, and tracing an out of state brand is nearly impossible. Tattoo's fade. Freezebrands can be hard to read in the winter. Microchips may migrate, and you may have to put the scanner very close to where the chip is to get a read. There are different chips and different readers. And I've never seen anyone check for one.

I just wish one eyed Harry didn't have to wind up with such a brutal, horrific end. We can only hope he his trip to the plan was quick... He's just one more example of a wanted horse that slipped through the cracks and paid the ultimate price.

I really see nothing shady about the auction, kill buyer, or slaughter plant, they had nothing to do with a horse ending up at the auction. Same as any other species of livestock.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I really see nothing shady about the auction, kill buyer, or slaughter plant, they had nothing to do with a horse ending up at the auction. Same as any other species of livestock.
    The only thing I can see is somehow proof of ownership (yes, I know it is neither feasible nor practical). Think about it....we sell a car, a house, a trailer - we need to prove that we own it. Cross the border with kids? Need to prove they are yours.
    I don't know....I can't find any answers that would have prevented the situation - but I sure know what I'd like to see done to the asshat who didn't honour the signed agreement.
    Going to hug my own one-eyed horse tonight.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I really see nothing shady about the auction, kill buyer, or slaughter plant, they had nothing to do with a horse ending up at the auction.
    Exactly, County.

To paraphrase the quote by kill buyer Manny Phelps: I mop up. I clean up the mess left by morons. I'm just the garbage man. I'm not the one who put the horse out with the trash.

It's the owners who are responsible for putting Harry out with the trash.

To blame the kill buyers or slaughter system is pointing fingers at the wrong people. It's irresponsible, asshat owners who caused Harry to be turned into horse steaks, not the slaughter industry.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.