The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Go to your local shelter and ask them for a couple ( not just one ) barn cat. There are programs that trap ferrel cats, spay them, give them shots and then send them out to barns. Your other cat won't work.
    Our barn has 4 and we have no trouble with the mice....

2 winters ago we had an infestation, and found that if we put a pickle barrell next to something the mice could climb up, then put sweet feed in the bottom, the mice would jump in for food and then be stuck. I would put the bucket on top of my car and drive out my road, and rehome them at the stop sign... I looked up the range for field mice, and forget what it was, but even dropping them at my mailbox seemed to help.

Numbers did go down - which was good, as one morning I think there were 7 mice in the bucket.

I know people are squeamish about killing rodents, but please re-think the relocating bit. All you are doing is giving someone else your problem. Mice that are used to a barn, will head for a barn, or other structure. If they aren't run over by a car, or killed by a cat, dog, or wild animal. I prefer to raise my own strain of mice, thank you

One of the best at controlling rodents of any kind is a big black snake. We had two here for the last several years, Kinky and Slinky. No mice, no rats, hardly any chipmunks or squirrels either. OK by me as the squirrels like to chew, a lot. Unfortunately Kinky was hunting the hay fields the day Mr. Lawndart decided to mow hay. The cutditioner won that battle. Yuck. A week later Slinky made the mistake of passing thru in front of my older neighbor, who had stopped by. Before I even noticed Slinky, he picked up a shovel and beheaded him I was seriously unhappy with the man, but what is the point of getting angry when he truly believed he was doing me a favor? All I can do is hope another one moves in. They stay away from the horses, and people in general. I didn't see them for months at a time, tho I did find shed skins in the haymow frequently. Slinky just unfortunately picked the wrong day to sun herself...

I could be wrong about this, but I remember reading somewhere that black and milk snakes will chase off all other kinds of snakes from their territory.

There are good snakes that are natural predators of rodents. I'd rather go that route, then have to clean up squished bodies
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Rat SNAKE! Not RAT!
    No, RAT! Seriously! The exterminator called it a wharf rat, and apparently, since we have ships coming up from the Gulf of Mexico to the Port of Catoosa, they have made their way into this area.

I never would have thought that a rat could get that big! I was totally repulsed and disgusted. (where's the barfing icon)

We could hear it chewing on the duct work. It would drive my cats crazy.

My husband found 2 more large rats in the backyard last year that the dogs killed before they could make their way to our house.

Fortunately, we moved from this house (and Tulsa) in November. Surprisingly enough, our new house/new construction has far less critters around than the old house ever did. We're even in the country. (Except for the occassional skunk passing through).
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

I've used poison (where the dogs can't get it) and snap traps. Be very, very careful if you use poison... I knew our barn dog wouldn't touch a dead mouse, and we had no cats or other mouse-eating critters. The dog did his best attacking the live ones-- a 50-lb border collie/lab mix can wreak havoc on a feed room diving behind shelves, bins, knocking over trash cans, chasing the scutter-scutter squeak. He was my favorite mouser, though!

Snap traps work well, reusable and cheap. I baited with peanut butter or small bits of bread.

Another option, which I read about here on COTH years ago, is a bucket of water. Add half a quart of oats, which will float on top. Meeses jump in, but meeses don't come out. I suppose drowning is a cruel way to die, but that's what they get for invading my feedroom, messing everywhere, and taunting the dog. Note: oats-water bucket will freeze in the winter, and you will end up with mouse-cicles.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Northern Tool catalog sells battery operated electric shock traps. Pretty pricey at somewhere around $29. each, but they last for years. I hate to see even mice suffer when halfway in a trap, and the electric shock kills them instantly when they touch the plate inside the trap. One time in my kitchen, I was pitching out a dead mouse every half hour (a light on top blinks). If you buy one of these, be very careful with the hinged door, the hinges break very easily, then it is harder to close lid properly and engage the electric charge.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Jack Russel Terrier.
    --o0o--

Quote Originally Posted by s6bee View Post
    Go to your local shelter and ask them for a couple ( not just one ) barn cat. There are programs that trap ferrel cats, spay them, give them shots and then send them out to barns. Your other cat won't work.
    Our barn has 4 and we have no trouble with the mice....
    There's a cat adoption program near where I live that always is looking for barn cats to rehome to barns, as they're not suited for indoors and harder to place.

I also would suggest the electroshock traps or the completely-enclosed bait or snap systems (where you dispose of the whole unit without touching the mouse or poison.) The electroshock traps, though, would probably be cheaper in the long run than disposables.

And you could always go looking for a rat snake...

First thing is to get your feed bins totally rodent proof, I also vote for the old freezer option.

If you don't want to use glue traps but are finding snap traps too slow there are a few other options for mass removal. Get a 5 gallon bucket and put grain in it. Place the bucket close to the edge of a shelf or table and leave overnight. The mice will jump down to get the grain and get trapped, letting you dispose of them any way you want. Works a treat, you can catch 5 or 6 at a go. I've also had good luck with the electric traps, thought it's much slower.

An alternative to poison is leaving dried beet pulp out. They eat it and it swells up and they explode. As long as you don't mind cleaning up exploded mice it works well and is not toxic.

As far as releasing them, you have to release mice a VERY long way away or they will be back in the barn before you are. Kinder just to kill them.

I've had good success with this live trap --> http://www.arbico-organics.com/1255001.html
    I'd catch one, put it in a holding area (AKA garbage can with bedding, water and food) reset the trap and catch a few more then haul them out to a REALLY remote area and turn them loose with some extra food. I tried a different type of multi-catch live trap that would catch mice in a tunnel and then flip them into a holding area which worked great a couple times then malfunctioned and ended up squishing a mouse to death :-(
    Good luck and kudos for trying to be as humane as possible :-)
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.