The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pling...Pling...Flying mice everywhere

Well, I guess since it has been an abnormally cold winter, the mice have taken up their winter home in my grain shed. I have done everything to make sure no grain ends up on the ground for them to eat and I am still infested with the little critters. I first thought...heck, what's a few more mouths to feed and house for the winter. Damb things are everywhere now! I walk in by grain room and I have to duck as the little things are jumping off shelves and scattering to the dark corners. I do not dare pick anything up without shaking it first.

I have tried to lock my one barn cat (who will not spray out of anger of being thrown out of the warm house) in there at night and he literally tore the door up trying to escape this scary herd of critters.

I cannot put the sticky traps out (it would just kill me to see the suffer like that), I cannot feed poison (my labs will probably eat the dead mouse with my luck). My cat is deathly afraid of the invasion in the feed room. And I now have mice poop and pee everywhere.

What do I do???

Snap traps, catch traps (don't harm them, but you have to drive a long way to release or they'll beat you back home again), JRT experienced with mousing.
    Also, they don't congregate anywhere they aren't getting food. Find out how they're getting into the food and stop that ASAP.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

ferrets? barn snake? feral barn cat?
    we had two semi-feral barn cats abandoned here, they cleaned up our mouse problem tout-sweet!

Sorry to say that there is no way to clear out the "meeses" without some death and dismemberment. Time to get tough! If you choose to be kind, your grain room will be covered with mouse pee and poo! I don't think your horses want that in their dinner.

Time to use traps, glue and snap!
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Snap traps. Thank you for not using glue traps. If you don't want to kill them, there are plently of live traps out there, but you will need to relocate them FAR away.

I breed fancy mice (it's one of my hobbies--they make very neat little pets) and if I had to catch wild mice, I would go with snap traps.

"One Bite" poison works very well but you do have to put it where the dogs and cats CANNOT get at it.
    Laurie Higgins
    www.coreconnexxions.com

If you could borrow a feral cat for a few days the mice might move out...probably to the next nearest building!

If you really have that many that they are scurrying around on the shelves, I'd do a sudden death round of poisoning (put the poison out, keep the door shut and hang a sign on it, and keep your dogs leashed/contained for a few days). Then remove all the poison and dead mice, and switch to snap traps to get the rest of them. Dogs and cats will need to be kept out of the room while the snap traps are in place, too.

PLEASE Do not use baits or poisons of any kind, one bite or otherwise. It gets into the systems of other living animals via insects, birds, squirrels, etc on up into larger mammals. It is the biggest reason why some areas have lost all of their mountain lions, for just one example of the long-term chain of deadly events using poison on rodents can bring. Things do go up the food chain and poison is poison. Please don't use it!!! A Jack Russell Terrier or two would be happy to help you out, otherwise use snap traps. I vote for the JRT, they are good at what they do and do it fast.

Sorry, I vote for sticky traps

HATED them, still do, but after the millions cleaned out but very empty snap trap and mice eating my house around me (and poison as a no option) I went for the stickies, the big rat ones, too! The only thing that would work, caught the odd roach on there as well.

I did have the urge to pull the poor beasties off the glue and clean them up, but the stink and destruction they left behind made me reconsider.\\And please consider, they also chew electric wireing and cause a fire hazard for your buildings! (and yes, I did get a mild shock cleaning my kitchen counters with a damp rag touching the chewed on cable of my coffee maker!

KILL them, they have to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I don't know how well this will work for an established "herd" but... My "Mr. Hoots" works wonders!! It's the fake plastic owl that I just put in the tackroom. So far... no more rats!!! It's amazing how well it really works. I had tried the electrocuting traps but after one or two they get smart and won't go in it. I've also tried throwing my cats in...doesn't work.

But Mr. Hoots seems to do his job At first I changed his position around every few nights, cause...you know, they were smart rats! but now.. he just hangs out and does his job

I had a horrible mouse problem & started using the snap traps that have a cover over them. They look like a little mouse hole for them to run into. They work great & I don't "catch" my fingers trying to set them & the dogs can't set them off & get hurt either. I think d-con makes them. I got them at Lowes.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiancross View Post
    Well, I guess since it has been an abnormally cold winter, the mice have taken up their winter home in my grain shed. I have done everything to make sure no grain ends up on the ground for them to eat and I am still infested with the little critters. I first thought...heck, what's a few more mouths to feed and house for the winter. Damb things are everywhere now! I walk in by grain room and I have to duck as the little things are jumping off shelves and scattering to the dark corners. I do not dare pick anything up without shaking it first.

I have tried to lock my one barn cat (who will not spray out of anger of being thrown out of the warm house) in there at night and he literally tore the door up trying to escape this scary herd of critters.

I cannot put the sticky traps out (it would just kill me to see the suffer like that), I cannot feed poison (my labs will probably eat the dead mouse with my luck). My cat is deathly afraid of the invasion in the feed room. And I now have mice poop and pee everywhere.

What do I do???

I don't know where you are located, but I would be very happy to loan you my kitty. She is an inside cat rescued from the SPCA, but she wants to be a barn kitty in the worst possible way. She would take care of your mouse problem for you and love every second of it!

Maybe try something like this? --> http://journal.chrisglass.com/2005/0..._catch_a_.html

Quote Originally Posted by Friesiancross View Post
    I walk in by grain room and I have to duck as the little things are jumping off shelves and scattering to the dark corners. I do not dare pick anything up without shaking it first.
    This totally creeps me out.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

What about repeater traps that can catch quantities? Farmtek et al sell them.
    Second the issue of binning and barrelling everything as chew proof-ly as you can.
    Do a thorough "spring cleaning" and tote/crate any stored items to provide the least hidey-hole, nesty opportunities.
    Then, liberally douse the base boards and corners with pure peppermint oil. They can'tss abidess itss smelllll...
    NB: pure peppermint--not the pre-mix candy drop additive--you'd think it goes without saying, but had a GF make this blunder. much to her chagrin...(???)
    In short, you could kill-kill-kill all day/every day--but unless you simultaneously create an unappealing environment--the neighbors from down the field will simply move right in.
    I'm as big a softy as the next Mouse-kateer, but there is no amnesty chez-nous anymore--especially not this time of year!!
    If you find yourself getting soft, go rent "willard" or "1984" for incentive.
    Good Luck!
    To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. - GK Chesterton

Also, consider when you have that many rodents in one area, they can spread diseases to you, your horses, cats and dogs. We have a friend that moved into a rental property with a horrible mouse problem. He ended up with a staph infection and respiratory issues that the doctor attributed to the mice. Just thinking of the mess and destruction they are doing to your barn would make me want them out of there asap

My husband and I had a horrible mouse problem under our old house. We didn't like the thought of the sticky traps, but after the food was removed from the regular traps, time and time again, we went with the glue ones. In one night we caught over 30 mice. Hubby would pull the traps in the morning and put them out of any misery, right then. Our cats would catch which ever ones that would come into the house and our two huskies would catch them in the yard. (This neighborhood is infested!) When we started having rat problems (literally chewed the duct work under our house) we called an exterminator. He gave us some poison that would kill the rats in 30 seconds. We found a foot and 1/2 long rat skeleton right next to the poison the next year when the termite inspection was done. The exterminator was amazed that Tulsa has rats that big!

I generally agree with not using poison, however exterminators now have solutions that are quick acting and more effective than what you can pick-up at the store. We were worried about it with our animals too. It might be time to call an exterminator and see what they suggest.

I like the idea of the D-con snap traps. Those were not available when we had the infestation, otherwise, we would have used those.

I don't think that I would do catch and release, unless it was to a lab someplace. I would be afraid those little critters would make their way back home.

I hope you get it resolved soon. What a mess.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Make the rounds of Craigs List, local PennySaver and Freecycle.org places to find a dead chest freezer or two. They are truly rodent, critter, bug, horse, etc. proof.

For traps, go for the T-Rex: http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/mi...aps-p-936.html

They're much easier to bait and set. Plus once it snaps, there is no moving for the rodent ever again. It's very quick. You can run a wire through several of them to make a string along the floor boards or up on shelving.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    We found a foot and 1/2 long rat skeleton right next to the poison the next year when the termite inspection was done.
    OMG!!!

I can't even imagine. I thought a 6 incher was huge (minus the tail)

Ok, I have the willies now.

Rat SNAKE! Not RAT!
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I'm not killing anything. I have the tin cats and 2 cats in the house who are helping. I stupidly had cereal and crackers and other things not in airproof bins. I'm still working on it. I've saved some from the cats and taken them away. Cats got a hold of others, inside and outside. And the traps. Have to admit it's easier saving the smaller ones! And a mouse inside the toilet dead. Aaaah!