The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Who Knew It Cost So Much?!

My saddle has both its knee pads slightly torn so I talked to a repair shop to see how much it would be it fix it and....it cost as much as I paid for my saddle! (which is $700, since I bought my saddle used and with torn knee pads but got a great deal since it's a Delgrange and in great condition otherwise). I'm in sticker shock though since I'm a broke student and saved up forever to pay for my saddle in the first place! Anyways, does it usually cost that much just to replace knee pads????

Ouch, how bad are the tears? Do the whole knee pads have to be replaced on both sides? 700 sounds high to me.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Default You might be better off...

Trying to find another one like you have that either the seat is shot, tree broke, or something like that, that has good knees and have them swapped..

But I agree that sounds high...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    Ouch, how bad are the tears? Do the whole knee pads have to be replaced on both sides? 700 sounds high to me.
    I sent the repair person the pictures below and he told me that they both need to be totally replaced. I thought they could just be resewn....What do you think?

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...00366654SfaUEt

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2...00366654VcojUO

Call around some more. I got a saddle "re-furbished" 2 years ago - had the flaps completely replaced (they had worn through) and billets replaced and it only cost $300 and the repairs were excellent (he did a bit more than originally asked and used a lot of new leather).

I had to ship the saddle out and it took about 1.5 weeks to repair. Locally. within my city I think I would have been charged more. With this economy, if you dig a little you will probably find someone who will be competitive.

BTW this is were my saddle was sent - http://www.regalsaddles.ca/

I had to have the same thing done. I was also shocked at the price. I think my bill was more in the $400 range, but still.

A few last words of warning though: If they're going to replace the leather and not just stitch up the rips, ask for a sample of the leather they will use. My saddle is an old pessoa with suede knee pads. The saddle iself is sort of chestnut colored and the original suede was a darker brown. The guy used ORANGE suede as a replacement. Can you say EEEEK? Unfortunately, he was also extremely slow (over one month) and returned the saddle to me two days before I was about to make an international move, so I basically had no recourse.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskye View Post
    I had to have the same thing done. I was also shocked at the price. I think my bill was more in the $400 range, but still.

A few last words of warning though: If they're going to replace the leather and not just stitch up the rips, ask for a sample of the leather they will use. My saddle is an old pessoa with suede knee pads. The saddle iself is sort of chestnut colored and the original suede was a darker brown. The guy used ORANGE suede as a replacement. Can you say EEEEK? Unfortunately, he was also extremely slow (over one month) and returned the saddle to me two days before I was about to make an international move, so I basically had no recourse.
    Yikes! That's for the warning! I'm hoping to find a place that's not too far away and won't keep my saddle for long. I thought they would just be able to restitch the tear, but maybe not? The leather itself has a little crackling but it's not as bad as it is in the pictures, so if they could just restitch I'd be happy.

Does anyone know of any good saddle repair places in California? I'd rather not ship my saddle if I can avoid it....

Guys, they cannot just restitch that-there is nothing to stitch to. It's not like cloth where you can just turn 1/16th" under, the stitch holes in leather tear the flap leather back a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch so it's gone.

You might try shopping around but, if it makes you feel any better, I priced the same repair on a Butet, both flaps. They quoted 1k. It's a big job and takes alot of time done right.

Be careful if you try to cut too many corners on an expensive (new) and high quality saddle.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

i do not think it looks that bad. i would just ride in the saddle. i am a crazy glue fan. you could crazy glue where it is ripped. i did crazy glue on a saddle seat when it was starting to wear a hole. i had called a repair guy and he said it would cost like 500 to fix the seat and it would take him a few months since he was busy. this was years ago. he said if it wasnt that bad, just put crazy glue in the cracks. and you know what. it saved the seat. i still have the saddle as a spare when my newer one ended up having to have the tree replaced due to it cracking. (warranty repair job. i dont know how much that would have cost me to have it fixed myself)

A fellow up this way put new knee rolls on my DH's saddle and it was about $350. He did a beautiful job.

The rips on your knee rolls don't look too bad. I would also just use it and not worry about it.

Try to locate Aspen Ridge Tack in Colorado. I believe the owner's name is Donnie. (Sorry, I'd include contact info but I don't have it handy.) He comes to shows in Oregon during the summer, so I would imagine that he goes to other shows in the Western U.S. as well.

He did a great job fixing the flap on my Devoucoux for $25, after Devoucoux quoted me $500+. I'm sure they would have done a more extensive repair - and that included a plane ride to France (for the saddle, not for me). But Donnie's work was good, done overnight, and the price was definitely right.

Good luck.
    Heads up, Hearts up

That sounds about right to me. I would take your time, save up your money and have it done right.... Thats a nice saddle and if you have them repaired correctly you will get many many more years out of it, and they will look beautiful... Even then, you're only 1400 out on a great saddle... so you've still got a deal!
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

I've had the knee pads on a Pessoa and a Stubben replaced over the years because they tore just like in those photos. Like Findeight said, unfortunately the entire inserts have to be re-done.

Both times I paid $240 total. I got to select the leather, and each time I chose a heavier leather than the original, and they've never torn again.

Now the knee pads on my Beval are tearing! I just got a quote from the local saddle repair guy who is an authorized repairman for CWD saddles and... some French saddle company... and it was still $240.

Thanks everyone! I called my local tack store and they referred me to a repairman who said he could do it for a whopping $150 for both with quality leather and stitching! I'd much rather pay that than $700!

I had my daughters older PJ done for about $250, a girl at my local tack shop (when I was in MS) recommended a guy who did an awesome job.