The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me spend my $500!!!!

All of you that frequent the Dover Saddlery website/ get their catalog know that they just opened a new store in RI and had a drawing for a $500 shopping spree and I WON!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it, I never win anything! I have no idea what to get... my horse needs new blankies but I probably won't have her next winter, and my family just got me a whole lot of stuff that I wanted for chistmas (hence why I was at the new Dover to begin with).

So.... Help me spend my $500.... what would you get with it!

WOW! What a fun dilemma!

A beautiful new show coat
    Lovely show shirts
    Schooling breeches in fun colors
    An amazing new show bridle for my mare
    A nice show trunk
    The helmet you've always wanted
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    WOW! What a fun dilemma!

A beautiful new show coat
    Lovely show shirts
    Schooling breeches in fun colors
    An amazing new show bridle for my mare
    A nice show trunk
    The helmet you've always wanted
    Ha ha... I just got the helmet I've always wanted as part of my christmas present (i am scared to wear it because I don't want to get it dirty).

I think my mom would shoot me if i got any more show clothes....

Share the wealth - use part of it for yourself and use part to buy necessities to help out a rescue, or some 'luxuries' for an old schoolie you loved, or just generally help a horse at your barn whose owner is operating on a shoestring. It will help you justify to yourself (and your mom) using part of it on an absolutely 'unnecessary' item for yourself. And since you don't know that you'll have your current horse next year, it's a lot safer to buy something for yourself than for the horse in case it doesn't fit the next one.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by hrsgirl07 View Post
    Ha ha... I just got the helmet I've always wanted as part of my christmas present (i am scared to wear it because I don't want to get it dirty).

I think my mom would shoot me if i got any more show clothes....
    Buy another helmet so it can be the one you can get dirty.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Quin View Post
    Share the wealth - use part of it for yourself and use part to buy necessities to help out a rescue, or some 'luxuries' for an old schoolie you loved, or just generally help a horse at your barn whose owner is operating on a shoestring.

Agreed! So many people are having a tough time right now, so many rescues are going under, so many schoolies could use a good spa day makeover...

Quote Originally Posted by Percheron X View Post
    Buy another helmet so it can be the one you can get dirty.
    Or maybe just a helmet cover??

Why not help out a local therapeutic riding center? Great cause and they (riders, owners, ponies) would love it, I'm sure.

Are there any community supplies at your barn you could contribute to - i.e. group fly spray, hoof oil, etc. Maybe a present for your trainer?

Do you have to spend it all by a certain date? If not, I'd use a little here and there... buy some supplies for a therapeutic riding center or rescue - but save some in case you have a need or a want later.

Girl, you won it, have a blast with it! Buy yourself something you'd never be able to splash out on if you didn't have the gift certificate.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Ok, I know one thing that I want to get is a sheepskin half pad....

does any one have any experiences with either of these:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=753766704

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...-19096/cn/106/

I don't usually post here, as I don't jump anymore. But I dream that I do, sometimes. So now I'll dream about spending that $500! I love those Dublin River boots. Don't know where I'd ever wear them, but I would like them. And that wool dress sheet with the braid on the hip. I'd start showing again just to have to use it! Oh--and a browband with the fancy crystals on them. And you know those half chaps with the interchangable trim on them? I'd get all the trim options to suit my mood of the day! Don't they sell jumps, too? $500 probably isn't enough money, but I'd take a look at what I could get. Maybe enough to start jumping again? Dream on!

Blue Ribbon scrim and dress sheets in the exact colors you want! That should take care of it.

I was pondering this myself when the GA store opened - what would I get if I win?

At the time, the answer was pretty simple for me: two Pessoa anatomical girths, one in 48" and the other in a 50." (And obviously have to add funds of my own). Kind of sad, really.

[I'm actually grateful that I did *not* win, however, because I was able to get a Dover anatomical girth off eBay for $30, and a Jaguar one off eBay for $100....]

NOW, because I'm on a "trying new tack cleaning products" spree, I would definitely buy ALL the tack cleaning products I want to still try (there's only like 4 or 5 more).

I would also buy the Sprenger Dynamic RS loose ring snaffle. I would also get the Stubben EZ Control dee ring. And maybe a Mikmar combo bit. Or a few "basic" JPs - regular dee, French link, another oval mouth...

I'm also really interested in trying a ThinLine Ultra pad, so I would get one of those.

Maybe buy a new pair of tall boots... last sale catalog had the Ariat Crownes for about $300.

If I were to buy a fleece pad, I would definitely pull out all the stops and get the Mattes correction pad. You don't have to use the shims if you don't need them, but then you would have them if you did need them.

Soooo... in short: add to bit collection, add to pad collection, add to boot collection (and formerly, add to girth collection)!

Though if I actually did need blankets for my horses, I would probably be logical and get those...
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by hrsgirl07 View Post
    Ok, I know one thing that I want to get is a sheepskin half pad
    Oooohhh, I went to the grand opening VIP night at the RI store... Lucky you, have fun spending! I have the ovation half pad. It has held up to multiple washings and I am impressed with the quality for the price factor. Definitely nicer than the Roma pad I had previously.

Congrats - that is awesome!! I'm so jealous!! How about a really nice bridle - a good one would last a long time. Or maybe some of their custom chaps - I've heard they're pretty nice if you don't have any - you can get your name on the back and your colors.

Or you could get lots of smaller things... but nicer stuff that you wouldn't usually buy. Like the $50 gloves instead of the $20 ones and the sheepskin pad instead of synthetic.

I would get myself a Charles Owen GR8 Helmet...

Forgot to add that I would also strongly consider getting a tack trunk... or previously would have, before I became sold on the Stanley trunk! So maybe a custom trunk cover?... And other custom bags, too!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

A thin line pad. Congratulations, what fun.

Quote Originally Posted by LookinSouth View Post
    Oooohhh, I went to the grand opening VIP night at the RI store... Lucky you, have fun spending! I have the ovation half pad. It has held up to multiple washings and I am impressed with the quality for the price factor. Definitely nicer than the Roma pad I had previously.
    jusk checking: you can was the pad even though it has the gel-pad incorporated?

Ok so... I am going to dover next Saturday and still am not 100% sure on what I want to get:

I am definantly getting:
    A nice sheepskin half pad
    hoof picks/ lead ropes for the barn (ever wonder how those things seem to grow legs)

I still have just over $200...

Talking

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!! You lucky, lucky girl. Keep spending.. spend every last cent. Buy something way out there that you would never dream of buying. Keep us posted; we will all live through you!!!