The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Angry ***UPDATE 3/15***WARNING -Please do not ride alone -ALMOST RAPED YESTERDAY

MODS, please consider this horse related ... it could happen to so many women who ride alone. So I beg of you that this thread not be removed.

So I was nearly raped and abducted yesterday at a local State Park where I was trying to get a short hike in.

Normally I take my big burly dog with me whenever I go to such places, unless I'm on horseback, but yesterday I had horsey errands to run after the park and didn't want to leave him in the truck after being allowed to work out so hard (he uses an extend-a-leash so he can run circles around me).

I'm not going into details, as I've gone over those details already once with the Ohio State Troopers yesterday, then again with the Ohio State Parks Police today.

But it didn't take the local newspaper long to latch on to the incident:

http://www.cantonrep.com/crimes_and_courts/x792882003/Woman-assaulted-in-possible-abduction-at-Quail-Hollow

I believe the only reason they didn't mention the attempted rape was because a rape kit wasn't necessary.

Always go for the nutcracker, ladies. Knee to the crotch. Worked this time, but still have bruised ribs, bruises everywhere, and 8 puncture wounds where he tried to use a pocketknife to stab me into submission.
    Last edited by TinkerBells; Mar. 15, 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Thank God you are ok. Aiming for the jewels is always the way to go if possible.

So you weren't riding in this case? Just confirming you were going for a walk in the woods alone, not a ride.

Glad you managed to escape. I too like to hike in the woods near my house, but only dare with my 2 GSD's with me. To many bastards in the world.

Anyway, for those interested (and the OP if she wants to be even better armed next time, though it sounds like she did a good enough job!) I recommend this book:

http://www.attackproof.com

No you don't have to do all the martial arts exercises but it does go into a lot to help you become more aware and decide in advance how you choose to react.

OB horses, my plan is to not let anyone within a 10' radius of my horse, if I am alone. I tell them my horse is nervous and might bite or kick. Maybe its lost me a few PR moments for horses, but I decided long ago I wouldn't be pulled off a horse, nor have a hand on it's bridle, in the case of being on the trail alone.

Hope you heal well, and please do seek therapy for PSTD!

Arcadien

TB, I am SO sorry this happened to you and SO glad you were able to get away. Big hugs to you. Please take care of yourself and consider getting some good counseling to deal with the after effects. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.
    Sandra

Jesus, that's horrible. Riding, walking, cycling, hiking, it's all much riskier when we're alone. I'm glad it wasn't worse for you, and sorry that it happened at all. I take my dog with when I want to go hiking; the last time I went alone (to a bird sanctuary which doesn't allow dogs) I had an unnerving experience that ended with me calling 911 on a very scary person who was following me home. It's so unfair, but enough male animals out there regard women as prey that it pays to be cautious to the point of mild paranoia.

I carry pepper spray ever since I had 3 large dogs come after me and my horse. Peace of mind.
    The more I get to know people, the better I like my horses.

Lucky you, as a lot of women are not only raped, but also killed.
    If you can shoot, and aren't afraid of firearms, there are tiny little 22s that you can carry that fit in the palm of your hand. Holds 8 shots. For riding and times when the .45 glock is too bulky. The little22 is good for horseback riding.

And if you scream "fire" instead of "help" people will run out to see a fire since some won't if they think it's boyfriend/girlfriend fighting.

If someone is trying to pull you into a car, go limp, either pretend to faint or pretent to have a heart attack. And pretend to throw up.

I'm glad you are safe, and I know you are still shaking from the experience.

Remember when riding (and doing anything else) to have a plan for "what if".

You are just as vulnerable, if not more, on a horse. Suprise is a criminal's weapon, you won't have time to get into a gallop. It's very easy for someone to startle your horse and get you thrown, or just grab a rein.

Ah, but that is one of the biggest preaching points in this book I recommend - awareness. As in, I don't wait for the scary stranger to appear, I *expect* one around every corner. 10' buffer between me and any person that appears, in a solo situation.

Yes, for some people its a scary leap to move to living always expecting trouble, but if you spend a lot of time on your own, it becomes second nature.

Arcadien, who also doesn't approach her car in a parking lot without doing a 360 inspection at a distance, who takes the long route to avoid a potentially lonely one, and who checks the back seat of the truck for anyone before getting in, etc, etc, etc... oh and who has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do but aims never to need to use it.

(Again the book I recommend every woman should read - it is a bit rattling so if you must read it in small doses - but read it and when your daughters are close to that age, have them read it too!)
    http://www.attackproof.com/ATTACK-PR...T-SELLING-BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    You are just as vulnerable, if not more, on a horse. Suprise is a criminal's weapon, you won't have time to get into a gallop. It's very easy for someone to startle your horse and get you thrown, or just grab a rein.
    Are you saying you're safer if you're surprised on foot? No thanks, I'd take my chances horseback where I could possibly kick the attacker in the face.

I've been told that men expect the 'knee in the crotch', and that either stepping on his instep or bending the little finger on a hand is a lot more effective.

Glad the OP is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadien View Post
    Ah, but that is one of the biggest preaching points in this book I recommend - awareness. As in, I don't wait for the scary stranger to appear, I *expect* one around every corner. 10' buffer between me and any person that appears, in a solo situation.

Yes, for some people its a scary leap to move to living always expecting trouble, but if you spend a lot of time on your own, it becomes second nature.

Arcadien, who also doesn't approach her car in a parking lot without doing a 360 inspection at a distance, who takes the long route to avoid a potentially lonely one, and who checks the back seat of the truck for anyone before getting in, etc, etc, etc... oh and who has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do but aims never to need to use it.

(Again the book I recommend every woman should read - it is a bit rattling so if you must read it in small doses - but read it and when your daughters are close to that age, have them read it too!)
    http://www.attackproof.com/ATTACK-PR...T-SELLING-BOOK
    Good sound advice. I haven't read the book but I've known lots of rape victims.
    Also you are safer with your dog and/or on your horse, unless you've been targeted by a serial. If he's just hunting, he'll pass you up cause it is too much trouble to deal with the dog or the horse. He'll pick a DISTRACTED and unattentive person before he'll tangle with your dog or horse. I rode all over on my horses bareback as a child up thru my 20s, and everyone was scared of my horses. Amazingly, when I retired and moved back home, I found that most of the general public is still scared of my dogs and my horses.

Okay, just one quick tip from this book - seems gory, but this person is out to hurt you right?

Take out his eyes. No matter how big or strong he is, he can't make his eyeballs any stronger. This is where advance thought comes in handy as the thought disgusts us, but if you think about what he wants to do to you...

Your fingers are strong, eyeballs are weak, easily gougable things. Think about it in advance and make the decision. It's him, or you. For those who just 'couldn't' live having blinded someone, do you think it better he lives as a blind man, or you live with the memory of a rape? or live at all?

Think about it, resolve to do it, and if it ever comes to that moment, don't hesitate. He won't expect that, and you can blind him within seconds.

Arcadien (sorry Mods, this may be getting a bit gory!)

I'm so sorry this happened to you, but thank goodness you are ok. I live on a wonderful and very popular park/bike trail that runs along a river. It is a great place to bike/walk/run etc...or it was. A serial rapist/attempted rapist has been targeting women in my area (especially those out walking/running - even with their dogs) for the past two years. While this didn't deter me in and of itself, a woman being murdered while running on the trail not even a mile from my apartment last summer during a popular evening exercise time (when the trail should have been busy) did. By foot, bike, or horseback I am nervous enough now to not go out to exercise by myself. It scares me that I still have a few friends that feel safe going out by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RHdobes563 View Post
    Are you saying you're safer if you're surprised on foot? No thanks, I'd take my chances horseback where I could possibly kick the attacker in the face.

I've been told that men expect the 'knee in the crotch', and that either stepping on his instep or bending the little finger on a hand is a lot more effective.

Glad the OP is okay.
    Well the cops say the crotch punch or knee is disabling, but they also say if you can stick a thumb in the eye, that helps. But if you just make him mad, then you have an angry rapist. It's an individual situation. Sometimes if you fight,you escape, and sometimes they kill you. And sometimes if you don't fight, they still kill you. It's just that everyone should be informed and prepared and have options.
    Forgot: Anything thing cops teach you is to shove the nose hard, this pushes the cartilage into the brain. But I'd think you'd have to be pretty precise in doing that.
    Last edited by cloudyandcallie; Mar. 8, 2009 at 07:06 PM. Reason: forgot

Quote Originally Posted by RHdobes563 View Post

Glad the OP is okay.
    Or, to quote Minsc, from Baldur's Gate, "go for the eyes, Boo!"
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Thank you for the safety reminder. I do thank God you're okay. Big hugs to you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Glad you're alright and safe now and were able to fend the guy off!!! way to kick ass in a scary situation! It's always good to remind everyone to always be alert and on guard no matter where you are.

Wow.. so glad u got away!

I think it's a good idea for women to learn to use a gun and carry one, at the very least, when you will be alone. I actually plan to desensitize my horses to gunfire this summer. They are already pretty relaxed about it because there is a lot of hunting around our farm. But I plan to desensitize them to have it happening from their back.

Some of the best advice on this thread is to go for the eyes. I'm not going to into it again, Arcadien covered it. Another tip is, don't hit the face, unless you can do a really good hard palm to the nose.... punch them in the throat. Right in the adam's apple. Hard. That will take them out longer than hitting them in the face. Kicking them in the knee from the side will reduce their ability to follow you MUCH more than kicking them in the nuts.

For those of you riding alone... at the very least get yourselves a really good crop to carry. I mean like a stiff long racing bat. Even if your horse doesn't need it... you can use it to defend yourself.

Best of luck to the OP on your continued recovery. You controlled your fate. You survived. You'll be okay... I hope you get some counseling if you are having emotional after effects.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

"Are you saying you're safer if you're surprised on foot"

No. Try to find where I said that; you won't have any luck.

I couldn't open the link to the story...so glad you are safe...hope you heal soon. Were you able to identify this person at all?
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"