The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oh Crap - I forgot to change the clock

Holy cow - wake up this morning after a lovely evening at the Cadora D & D last night and realize I forgot to change the clocks - the horses need to be fed before the barn help comes - so much for a relaxing morning - now I have to run out.

Just thought I would post this for the others that went out last night and forgot too.

I didn't go out and I didn't forget - I had no idea today was the day! LOL! Woke up this morning and it was dark out and TV said 6:30 and my clock said 5:30. I was, needless to say, confused. Happy Spring!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Don't feel bad - One year we got up bright and early, loaded up and drove to Pony Club lessons to find nobody there - we had forgotten to Spring forward and had an hour to kill.

Did the same thing. AND overslept. Quattro got fed at 9:30 "new time".
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Well, I did change MOST of the clocks last night. But I don't get up until it starts to get light. Hey, the dog and horses know that and if I came out to feed when it was still dark it would throw their clocks off so I wait till it gets light.

Now, just to show you how anal-retentive a person can be, I gradually change their feeding times over about a 2 wk period. I learned that early on in my horsey life. First barn I ever boarded at, the farmer did just that so as not to throw off the horses clocks.

Now, for me, I'm a morning person and I've just LOST an hr. And since I'm retired, I don't have to set the alarm except for when the farrier comes but I will start to get up a bit earlier each day so I can get that hr back.

The only clocks I still have to change are the truck and the TV's and VCR's which I'm off to do now.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I had no idea today was the day.

Walked into church just in time for the post communion prayer.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Oh, I so did.... Thank god baby had me up eairly.... Made me on time for work! LOL!
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Now, just to show you how anal-retentive a person can be, I gradually change their feeding times over about a 2 wk period. I learned that early on in my horsey life. First barn I ever boarded at, the farmer did just that so as not to throw off the horses clocks.
    Give yourself a break!
    Unless your horses are stalled and have nothing to do until food arrives I bet they wouldn't even notice an hour either way.

My guys are out 24/7 & have staggered feeding times - usually at 6A so I have time to get some things done before I have to head for work.
    Dinner is 6P or whenever I get home.
    I've fed as early as 4A and as late as 11P (horrendous traffic - I was a wreck, they were fine).

But generally I feed as early or late as I need to and so far they are fine.
    This morning they were outside and surpised to see me so early, but they headed right for their stalls.
    They know what it means when the Breakfast Lady appears!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I changed all the clocks in the house but the alarm clock by my bed. Ooops. Was an hour late to work this morning...

I had to be at work early, so had to feed early as well. I actually caught a couple sleeping this morning that I don't normally see down.
    I think Sport was still trying to wake up when I was already on my way back out of the barn.
    He kind of made me think of a little kid that had been woken up to early. He would take a mouthful of his grain and then look at me and then slowly eat it as if he was still half asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Give yourself a break!
    Unless your horses are stalled and have nothing to do until food arrives I bet they wouldn't even notice an hour either way.

My guys are out 24/7 & have staggered feeding times - usually at 6A so I have time to get some things done before I have to head for work.
    Dinner is 6P or whenever I get home.
    I've fed as early as 4A and as late as 11P (horrendous traffic - I was a wreck, they were fine).

But generally I feed as early or late as I need to and so far they are fine.
    This morning they were outside and surpised to see me so early, but they headed right for their stalls.
    They know what it means when the Breakfast Lady appears!
    Well my boys aren't really stalled as each have their own paddock that opens off their stalls. The only time their shut in is if there's really foul weather blowing snow into their stalls. And there's always leftover hay there as well BUT I've looked out the window at them when I'm getting dressed and they are BOTH staring at the house -or maybe I should say GLARING cause I'm not down to give them breakfast.

Can you tell who rules this farm?

PS. My dog has separation anxiety and hates it if I'm gone for any length of time. Can you tell who rules the house?

PS. One horse tends toward gas colic frequently so I really do try very hard to keep him on schedule.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I most definitly passed out the nigt before and didn't get to change the clocks! I had to work at the hunt barn the next morning and they were having a clinic that morning...good thing the BO is so awesome and went out and fed them. I lost all sense of time yesterday!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I've looked out the window at them when I'm getting dressed and they are BOTH staring at the house -or maybe I should say GLARING cause I'm not down to give them breakfast.
    Can you tell who rules this farm?
    They are using Equine Telepathy - sending you brainwaves:
    "feed the horses.....feed the horses...FEED THE HORSES!!!!!!"

Both my guys will look up when they hear my car. Even if they are all the way out in the big pasture, by the time I pull in the drive they are headed for, if not already in, their stalls.
    My Senior horse will snatch his flake of hay if I'm later than normal, but he is in no danger of starving. I believe he has ribs....pretty sure...can't swear....
    Just his way of saying "You can be replaced!"

LOL! I have a housecat who does the 4AM facial w/claws if I don't get up to feed her.

Do you ever feel like underpaid Room Service?

Sorry about your gassy guy. I'd think the extra hay would keep his gut moving & prevent the gas impaction, but they are funny individuals.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I used to do the 'two week pre change clock' thang. But since it's still 'winter' and somewhat dark most mornings due to this neverending round of snow storms. Eh, they'll get fed at 8am and be none the wiser. I've loosened up my horse keeping way of thinking after visiting my friend in Montana and seeing how the ranch horses are dealt with. My hot house flowers can very well deal with a silly hour time change.
    Bah, snow!

LOL I used to do the morning feeding during the week...lately it's my SO's job and more than once as I drive down the driveway to leave, Maggie Mare has 'chased' me down the fenceline, furious that she's not been fed yet and I'm off to work

I don't believe in rigid schedules. They have free choice round bales 24/7 and Shall Not Perish if mom drinks another cup of coffee first

They are using Equine Telepathy - sending you brainwaves:
    "feed the horses.....feed the horses...FEED THE HORSES!!!!!!"

Both my guys will look up when they hear my car. Even if they are all the way out in the big pasture, by the time I pull in the drive they are headed for, if not already in, their stalls.
    My Senior horse will snatch his flake of hay if I'm later than normal, but he is in no danger of starving. I believe he has ribs....pretty sure...can't swear....
    Just his way of saying "You can be replaced!"

LOL! I have a housecat who does the 4AM facial w/claws if I don't get up to feed her.

Sorry about your gassy guy. I'd think the extra hay would keep his gut moving & prevent the gas impaction, but they are funny individuals.
    Hee hee hee, I know what you mean by not being sure they have ribs. Believe it or not, my gassy guy, an OTTB, is almost at that stage and he gets next to nothing grainwise. Mostly just some beet pulp to disguise his supplements. He gets plenty of hay -enough that there is usually some left over in the morning both in his stall and out in the paddock. Course what's in the paddock is left over from the day before and he certainly shouldn't be expected to eat that!

Underpaid room service would be great. I don't get paid at all. If there is reincarnation, I want to come back as one of my horses if that were possible. Remember I said I was anal retentive!
    Sue

Hurray for the fact that the time on my cell phone changes automatically!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Ohhhh yeah. I SURE do. I, too, have the 4 a.m. wake-up call cat. Most exasperating (but surely the funniest) was when the late HRH Avery and said cat decided to GANG UP to wake me up at 4 a.m. Avery banged his metal-shod hoof on my wood porch "BANG! BANG! BANG!" while Liam Yellowcat sat on my window AC unit yowling and scraping his claws along the metal vent. No way could you sleep through that.

New kid Quattro is kinda headed the same way: he comes trotting to meet my car, and if I go inside to change clothes first, he Yells At Me.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Geez! This all sounds so complicated! I am glad I live in an area where we DON'T change the clocks. And amazingly enough, our world gets by just fine without doing it.

I would hate to suddenly have one less hour of sleep or end up showing up late for things.

My ex husband and I very nearly missed our own wedding in Las Vegas. We got there the day before time change, two days before our wedding. We decided to go to a show the day before our wedding and ended up only catching the last half. That's when we realized something was wrong! We were going with our watches and the clock in our hotel room. Of course it was up to us to change the clock in our hotel room. If we hadn't gone to that show we certainly would have missed our own wedding!!
    My horses past and present....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgMOjxvLMJo