The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It's that time again...Spring fever!

My TB definitely has it!

We have had some warm days here...yesterday was around 60° and we had just had a snow storm earlier in the week. Sheesh.

Every spring he always feels great and full of himself. The past weeks he has been lazy and not to thrilled about working but today he was bouncing off the walls.

We went for a little road walk then down for a walk in the field...he couldn't stop squealing, shaking his head or randomly jumping in the air.

I let him loose in the arena and he was kicking up his heels and squealing as he floated around.

Sure I wanted to kill him but they were all feeling good. This day gave us all a taste of spring...and mud for that matter.

And yes...there were a few invisible ghosts today as well. Or people washing their cars being scary.

Time for everyone to come out of their hibernation and show up at the barn again! With that, the "barn gossip" starts to go into full effect (oh, the joys of a boarding barn!)

My guys were happy to get out yesterday in the 74+ degrees weather, and when lunging one of my usually alert and forward moving critters, he was actually l-a-z-y ! I think the still-winter coat was weighing him down in the heat! I'll take that, though, against the guy who was lunging his horse who hadn't been out in a couple of weeks...I was afraid one of them was going to get hurt. The strong winds didn't help!

I hope this great weather is not a trick, and we really are in spring!!
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

Woohoo! Later days too mean I can make it to the barn after work now!!

My horse is already shedding like crazy - worried he'll lose too much hair and I'm sure we'll get one more big snow - March is one of the snowiest months here in Colo...

My TB is usually pretty sensible. But he was doing his best Arab impression Friday night.... prancing around and snorting, tail flagged...

We hit the 40s and 50s this past week and I think the warmer temps are easier on his joints. And he was very happy to be rid of his layers of blankies!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Yep, my TB had it yesterday, and so did her little TB friend, who managed to scoot past me as I was putting my mare back out in the pasture. Meanwhile I almost went down in the HUGE mud-hole at the gate! Fun.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

So, what, we only get one season a year where our horses AREN'T nutcases? Between winter and spring I'm on my last nerve with Mr. Attitude!

Ohhhh - so that's what going on with my TB mare! I thought she had decided to switch disciplines and hit the rodeo circuit.

My TB has been SOOOOOO bad that he got pulled out of his turnout group and put into horsey time out. He seems to have forgotten that his testicles have been gone for a couple of years or so....

His solo turn-out is next to the girls' paddock so he had to put on a big display for the ladies, but alas - they are just not that into him!!!

It humors be that most of these posts were also about TB's.

I think my guy is also glad to get rid of his blankets.

Here's the story of my first spring ride on my horse's blog "Mudville" . I haven't ridden since the last thaw the week of Christmas. It felt WONDERFUL!!! He had a great time too. He was such a good boy, and afterwards, he just had such a calm and contented look on his face. (not like the expression in the picture of him in the cooler with the flash going off in his face )
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

With the gorgeous weather, I was rather shocked that my coming-6 OTTB was such an angel this weekend. We had a schooling show on Saturday, only did about 10 minutes of warm-up, waited 45 minutes for our three classes, took 2nd in the first one and 1st in the second two. I could not possibly have been prouder.

Now if only we could transfer his angelic behavior in the indoor to being that placid while out on the trails or riding next to pastures with galloping horses on turnout, we'd be good to go.

Ah yes. My boy has quite a bit more "spring" in his step. His buck too; I came off for the first time in a year and a half.

Yep, I can't wait for him to settle down again. He loves the snow, he loves sunshine, he loves when I stupidly take him out in a gentle bit that he loves to ignore.

Thank goodness we love them.

Default Gotta love spring!

Mine ran around like crazy fools then finally wore themselves out and took a nap in the clover.

My 21 year old OTTB gelding supervising

Afternoon snack
    Cloverfox Stables