The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need Dog Fence Ideas

I need to replace my backyard dog fence. Current fence is about 40" high, picket style, and rotten in places.
    I need to contain 3 young active dogs. The problem dog is a 40 lb mutt, border collie/terrier/hound mix, who has learned to go over the old fence. Area to be fenced is roughly 40' by 60'. Dogs are left in this area while we are at work so it needs to be secure.
    House is out in the country, no zoning issues for fence.
    I am thinking metal not wood since some fence chewing has been going on.
    I am considering horse-style no-climb mesh or chain link. Other ideas?
    Can augment with electric wire if necessary but would rather have a fence that isn't climbable.
    Thanks!

What about chain link?
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

We're doing the same here. I want an"exercise area", just a safe place to let them out am and pm before we do barn stuff. Bella runs in the fenced pasture areas when we 're out there and for a good run during the day to play catch, etc, but sometimes she just wants to lie in the sun. She's on a tie out for that, and I check her constantly. It's not ideal, but 'til we get a yard fenced, it has to do. Very busy road and we don't let her roam, anyway. . We're thinking chain link 4'high . That's pretty secure for us, but you may need a 6'. One thing you could do is put a "hot wire" inside , at the top for a while . A few good zaps might deter your "hunter/jumper" , .

Just a note, for climbers chain link seems to be pretty easy to scale, usually because of the v a the base for the foot to sit in and the uneven texture. The horse wire is probably going to be harder to climb, but remember the wire might bend and not look as nice if 40lbs tries to climb it.

I do second thie idea of a hotwire around the top to deter climbing, or you can run an invisible fence underneath the standing fence, which also prevents digging underneath, since it will deliver a shock if they get within a set distance in any direction. also will stop the chewing, since they won't want to be that close. for the cost of an invisible, if you're going to do that I would go ahead and spend the little extra and fence the perimeter, esp by the road, so even if they do get out of the primary fence you have a backup system so to speak. And FWIW, Invisible Fence is made by PetSafe, which is the brand sold at Petsmart.......

Does your farm supply carry the panels of "bull wire"...they are about 16 ' x 4' and are welded thick "wire"...These are great for pens...and run a hot wire at the base if you need to.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

How about PVC? The prices have really come down and the dogs can't climb or chew it. Obviously, no issues with rotting/repainting either.

I have some 16' x 6' chain link panels, that connect to each other, that I can make any kind of fence for dogs.
    My neighbor just came for a few, to let his two dogs have more room around his house.

You may want to check those out from fence companies, that some times have used ones for little, from big jobs.
    Those generally are more like 10' x 6', as they are easier to move from jobsite to jobsite.

Most dogs won't dig out under them, because they have a pipe at the bottom, or go over them, they are very tall.
    If you have one that may, hot wire to start with will discourage it.

Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Loewes and such also sell chain link dog pen panels and you can put several together to make a larger pen.

This is what our yard fence looks like now. We added a concrete bottom because we have wild pigs starting to come in and they would have dug right under the panels.
    We tried laying railroad ties along the bottom, but that made a good home for mice and the rattlers they attract, so we picked them up asap.
    Before wild pigs, we didn't need anything, the pipe that goes along the bottom of the panels was enough to keep most everything from digging, in or out:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1236555790

What is good about panels is that you can move them to get machinery closer to the house, make the yard smaller or larger by adding or taking panels away, change where they go and sell or take them with you when you move.

Invisible Fence, or any close faxsimile, gets my vote!! Has worked well with all our dogs for more than 15 years!!
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

My aunt has 8 foot chain link fencing for her GSDs. (6 ft probably would be fine but the husband does overkill on everything)

I use 2x4 no-climb horse wire with no top board. It holds up well is is very non intrusive to look at. When we moved into this house the back yard was 4 ft chain link with a top metal rail. It was much more visible than the horse fence and made the house look like a former day care.

Another friend has the no climb for her dogs and she runs a rescue. She just runs horse electric about 1 ft from the bottom to discourage both diggers and jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
    Does your farm supply carry the panels of "bull wire"...they are about 16 ' x 4' and are welded thick "wire"...These are great for pens...and run a hot wire at the base if you need to.
    I used livestock panels for my fence. Welded wire, very very sturdy (did not need corner posts to hold the wire up) and with landscape timbers was extremely inexpensive. I think I did my whole yard for less than $250. It's sturdy enough that I can grow grapes on it.

Default That's our solution also!

Originally bought the panels for a mobile goat pen, but discovered how well they work for the dogs too.

We have an invisible fence for our Jack Russell Terrorists. It works like a dream. They are happy, we are happy. There is nothing to see, so we still have a view. Our other dogs don't need it, so they come and go through the fence as they please. It is easy to install (you just bury a wire in the dirt). There is some training involved but they had it down in 3 days. I can't recommend it enough!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

My 40lb dog can climb 6' chain link. At least we assume that's how she's getting out of the dog yard every time we turn our backs. She's a hound and they climb though- a normal dog would be fully contained in there.

We had a dilapidated picket fence at our house when we moved in, and the dog figured out how to climb/jump over it, especially in the winter when the snow piled up.

We ended up going with Invisible Fence, because we were afraid we were going to end up investing all kinds of money in a 4 foot fence and have him jumping that, too. A 5 or 6 foot fence would have had to be 5' or 10' in respectively from the property line due to town codes, which wouldn't have worked out in our yard. The invisible fence has worked out well for him, but if we were in a busier neighborhood or one with lots of loose dogs, if he were a small dog or we needed to leave him outside while we weren't home, or if he wasn't respecting the fence, we would have gone with a 4 foot fence with the invisible fence run around the inside. I think that would slow the dog down enough that he would be spending too much time in the "zap zone" if he tried to climb/jump the fence.

I have 5 foot tall non-climb. Works well for me.

Just a note if you do chain-link, make sure it is secure in the ground....my mom's old english sheepdog pulled the fence back off the steel pole it was "grounded" on and all 3 dogs (95lb sheperd mix, 90lb pit bull, and 75lb old english) were able to get under it and escape. The pit bull could get under just about anything, so that didn't surprise us, but the sheperd is not agile AT ALL and got under it!

Well, she's now showing her terrier stripes - she has been digging out under the fence. And she went thru some no-climb mesh near the barn - she chewed and bent and slid the wire over to make a hole that she could get through.
    So I guess it is chain link for us.
    Last edited by lwk; Mar. 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: more info