The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Story about coming across a hunt using Bassets?

Wasn't there a story posted here a while ago about someone's local hunt they encountered that were using bassets?

I was out trail riding with a friend of mine and her border terrier (I think, I'm totally drawing a blank), and she was talking about how there is a hunt in Scottland that runs them.

I remembered a story about hunting Bassets and started snickering to myself about the image.

Anyone remember that story?!

I remember the Bassets but it wasn't a horseback hunt I don't believe. They followed on foot and I thought it was someone here on the board. Who knew they were more than just cute creatures?

I think JSwan has hunted with them..Also check out this site:

http://www.pbase.com/stl_don/3c_bassets_2007
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

It's a Reynard Ridge story, though not about the $700 pony - but I can't find it...
    Proud member of the EDRF

Thats the story about the Tewksbury Foot Bassetts, and I believe it is a RR original.
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

eponacowgirl is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Ah, thank you! Thinking about following Bassets on foot is a little better for a snicker... makes me think Monty Python!

Maybe RR keeps copies of all her stories and can repost for me?!

Bassets hunt hare, with followers generally on foot. They don't look like your garden variety Basset, though, much the way a working spaniel looks very different from a show variety. Think shorter ears, not as long, lighter in bone and tighter skin. There's also plenty of crossing with Beagles and Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen (PBGV), which can product the broken coat.

Here's a good article (and picture) from the Aiken Standard:
    http://www.aikenstandard.com/Local/basset-hounds

I agree with you, though, that the mental image of a pack of "typical" Bassets is hilarious!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    There's also plenty of crossing with . . . Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen (PBGV), which can product the broken coat.
    You know, I've always kind of wanted one of those, just so I could say "I have a peebeegeevee."
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

Aw... I was expecting the "regular" sort of Basset Hound with their adorably big feet that are more like flippers! But these kind are cute, too!

Kim
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    You know, I've always kind of wanted one of those, just so I could say "I have a peebeegeevee."
    Yeah, and if you lived in New York, and it hadn't closed, you could take him to the old Country-Blue Grass-Blues club. And let's say your dog got a little squirrely while listening to the music? Then he'd be a PBGV at CBGB with the Heebie-Jeebies!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Have to say one of the hands down funniest things I have ever seen was my cousins two late great Bassets running. When I'd visit her her two Bassets would come gallumping up the driveway towards my car baying...and the sight would have me laughing until tears ran down my face. They were pet Bassets, not hunting Bassets. They always looked like they were running in slo-mo...and everything flapped on them in slo-mo too! Very up and down movement...hardly any forward movement. Looked like a deranged loose skinned caterpillar attacking me, LMAO!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

As a dachshund owner, I love all "low-rider" dogs, and would love to see bassets hunting together... but more than anything else I would love to see a pack of hunting dachsies in action!

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    Ah, thank you! Thinking about following Bassets on foot is a little better for a snicker... makes me think Monty Python!
    Yes! with everyone running behind clopping coconuts together and pretending to canter along!

I have seen a hunting Dachshund - rough coated and he loved it. Alas, too short to keep up and stay with the pack. Hunting with Bassets is really fun, I've gone a few times. Wait, in fact, they crossed that Mighty little D with a Basset and they had cute pups! My friend has one of them!

Yeah, and if you lived in New York, and it hadn't closed, you could take him to the old Country-Blue Grass-Blues club. And let's say your dog got a little squirrely while listening to the music? Then he'd be a PBGV at CBGB with the Heebie-Jeebies!
    Well, Rihanna and Chris Brown were booked that night, and my dog can't stand criminal domestic violence.
    That's why he was a *deep breath*
    PBGV at CBGB with the Heebie-Jeebies cause of CDV!
    I never rode a broke horse but then maybe I'm a sorry hand. - Ray Hunt

eponacowgirl is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Oh, this thread has taken on a life of its own and has me rolling!

Thumbs up I hunt with Bassets!

I am a member of the Ashland Bassets. We are a rabbit hunting foot pack located in Warrenton, Virginia. We hunt 3 times a week at locations within the territories of 4 local foxhunts. It's basically like foxhunting without the horse! We have 30 people on average out. Most members are horsepeople and many are current or former foxhunters. It's a blast! And always a tailgate afterwards.

Yes a hunting basset is NOT like your image of a basset you may have. Ours are very athletic, fast and have wonderful hound personalities. We have English bassets, crossbreds with AKC types, and French Bassets (aka:Bleu-de-Gascogne's). They are like full sized hounds with shorter legs and since we are hiking to follow them; that's a good thing! We chase eastern cottontails mostly.

For some neat pictures of both beagles, bassets and foxhounds; go to KarenLMyers.org and go to Hunting Diary and look/enjoy! She's a terrific photographer of our sports. If you ever get the chance to hunt with beagles or bassets; you'll have a bunch of fun!

Default Foot Hunting

I'm a long time member of Ashland Bassets too!

We don't hunt feet - though I have often been reminded of Monty Pyton when we're running around in the woods!

We hunt waskily wabbits. Eastern cottontail.

Don't confuse these we the obese, sluggish AKC Bassets found on living room couches.

These are honest to goodness hunting dogs that are used in the US and overseas to slow trail game.

Bassets are used for rabbit, hare, and deer. Yes, really.

A few years ago Ashland imported new blood from France - which is very exciting as the Bleu de Gascogne is not common in the US.

My niece has been hunting on foot since she was three years old.

Hunting on foot is done in the same way mounted hunting is done - there is a Master, huntsmans, whippers-in, and the field. Hound and staff commands are the same, as is etiquette for members of the field.

It's also a very family friendly activity - children, the disabled and elderly can enjoy it and are most welcome to join. No special clothing is required other than a good stout pair of walking boots or shoes. Come in blue jeans and a jacket - and bring a smile.

I invite any COTH BB member and their family to be my guest to hunt with Ashland Bassets. We hunt Tues, Thurs and Sunday afternoons.

As my guest, you pay no cap and I guarantee you a wonderful time with wonderful people and hounds.

Just send me a PM if you'd like to come out and we'll arrange it. Don't wait - the season is almost over!

Ashland Bassets was profiled on Animal Plant - Dogs 101. Here is an excerpt from the show. This was filmed at Great Meadow last summer.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/d...set-hound.html

I actually "bassetted" yesterday for the first time with the Calf Pasture Bassetts in Maryland. It was a hoot! The bassetts are way cute and while they love chasing the bunnies, they are very affectionate with people, too. It was a bit too much uncontrolled chaos and three hours of walking up and down hills for me, though, so I don't think it'll become a usual thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Well, Rihanna and Chris Brown were booked that night, and my dog can't stand criminal domestic violence.
    That's why he was a *deep breath*
    PBGV at CBGB with the Heebie-Jeebies cause of CDV!

Well, I hope it didn't stress him so much that he developed a gastric dilitation with volvulus. Because then he'd be a...

PBGV suffering from GDV at CBGB with the Heebie-Jeebies because of CDV.

JSwan, if I can ever get away from work, I am taking you up on your offer. That sounds like loads of fun.

JSwan, if I can ever get away from work, I am taking you up on your offer. That sounds like loads of fun.
    Please do. It's an open invitation to any COTH BB member. I don't care if you are a Republican, Democrat, pro or anti slaughter, gay, straight, bi, blue, purple, orange, short, tall, young old, doesn't matter. It's an open invitation made in the spirit of good sportsmanship and friendship.

All you need is a sense of humor and good walking shoes and a jacket. I'm a patron member - unlimited guests. Take advantage of it while I can still afford to pay that membership!