The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default in the catagory of " I should not tell this on myself but..."

ok so at the risk of the whole Internet thinking I'm a bigger dumb-butt than I actually am I'll tell it...

as the mares/fillies go out of the indoor arena in the evening (where they stay out of the flies and sun) we have a sort of an assembly line...the two female children fetch them one at a time...about 9 mares in all...they bring them up the aisle to the tack room where Mama waits with the Wipe oil rag..

and we pat and say hello and go over the ears/face and down the legs and down the belly/udder (HELLO LADIES) ,back leg, off side and repeat and a pat sends them out for the night to the pasture...reload the Wipe rag...repeat

so anyway tonight about mid way thru the mares my 11yo says "gosh mommy they sure are shiney"...I pay no attention and stay on the assembly line...on the LAST mare (Calvins mule actually) I notice that I have been loading my blue Wipe rag liberally with the look alike bottle of Freibergs leather oil.... well at least maybe they are slick coated enough for the flies to miss the runway....

best
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Apr. 27, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Too funny! It makes me admit to the time that I grabbed a can of Cool Lube from under the bathroom counter (hubby had used it on his hair clippers) and sprayed it on my hair because I thought I had grabbed my hairspray .
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

That's hilarious, Tamara!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

My old man came hobbling in from the muddy pasture gushing blood from a nasty over-reach yesterday morning. I hose his legs off, dry him put him in the cross ties, get the clippers out and start clipping away to get the hair off from round the wound.

All the time, as I'm down there clipping away, I'm thinking "you are such a good old boy. If only all horses were as tolerant as you of having their booboos dealt with... Your little brother would be dancing on my head by now..."

Eventually, I realize I'm clipping the wrong foot.

Classic Tamara!

At least you weren't cleaning tack w/ the fly stuff!!

appaloosalady and atr. FUNNY!!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

if it worked...compare the prices!!!

Bet they smelled better too!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I have grabbed the show sheen and done the same thing'--"why isn't this flyspray working?!"' Duh. Also, not horse related, when I was a teenager, I accidently grabbed the noxema toner instead of the mouthwash in the cabinet-both were blue. Bad, bad mistake!!!
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Default Hay

Arh, arh! At least it wasn't anything lethal!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

ditto to show sheen instead of fly spray = my saddle was slipping all over the place afterwords! Had to re-wash my mare!

lmao this is great
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Well maybe this story will make you feel better.

I'm at a horse show..husband runs home to get battery for camera. I'm in high gear running around. I have no watch, I use my cellphone for the time.

Husband calls about 30 minutes later...I am talking to him and realize that I'd better see what time it is...Start feeling around in my pocket...and say.."Damnit, now I can't find my cellphone"...completel silence (I guess he was waiting for the punchline)..I start walking back, retracing my steps..when he says...YOURE ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has to be my all time Darwin award winning moment.

dalpal, OMG priceless.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

I'll admit that I did the exact opposite....I went to oil my bridle and kept thinking that the stuff smelled a bit funny - got about half way through cleaning before checked the bottle and I realized that I was rubbing Repel X concentrate all over my leather!!! Opps!!!

This had me roaring. I love the cell phone faux pax and must admit to one of my own. Upon leaving a restaraunt, all of us are checking our cell phones for missed calls. I redial the missed number on my phone not recognizing the number. When the party answers, I ask how I can help them assuming it is a rescue call. My ex- sister in law is laughing beside me and says really I cant since I am sitting beside her already. I heard her answer her phone with a hello but didnt realize I was calling her. Talk about feel stupid.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Well maybe this story will make you feel better.

I'm at a horse show..husband runs home to get battery for camera. I'm in high gear running around. I have no watch, I use my cellphone for the time.

Husband calls about 30 minutes later...I am talking to him and realize that I'd better see what time it is...Start feeling around in my pocket...and say.."Damnit, now I can't find my cellphone"...completel silence (I guess he was waiting for the punchline)..I start walking back, retracing my steps..when he says...YOURE ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

That has to be my all time Darwin award winning moment.

HAHAHA you aren't alone. I am a teacher and was talking to hubby packing up to leave for the day. As were talking I said "I gotta GO, I can't find my phone and I can't leave without it"! I put it down walked around for a sec. then realized what had just occured.
    http://www.blackberryhill.webs.com/

Sometimes you have to put your foot down to get a leg up!

LOL! these are great.
    So I think I'll have to tell on DH from the other day.
    I went riding with a friend and told DH that I'd call him when I was loading up to come home so that he could be ready when I got there (we had a wedding to go to and I was cutting time really close).
    I knew he'd be out in the garage fiddling with his race truck so I must have told him 10 times to take his phone out with him.
    Well, I got back from the ride, loaded up and called him. No answer. Tried several more times, no answer. All the time I'm thinking Dammit he didn't take the phone out with him.
    I get home and he says why didn't you call me? I say I did, several times, but you didn't answer. Did you forget to bring the phone out?
    He says "no its right here" and picks up the TV remote- LOL!! totally priceless
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Well, looks like I'm in good company.

I have searched for sunglasses for 20 mins before realizing I was holding them.

The best was my sister, friend and I used to trailer out together and always had to stop and open/close the gate at the barn when coming/going. We enjoyed teasing my sister by then locking the doors and slowly rolling forward and giggling until we finally let her in. It was funny until we were really tired one night and actually left her at the gate. Oops. She's a forgiving soul.

Quote Originally Posted by amdfarm View Post

At least you weren't cleaning tack w/ the fly stuff!!

Shyly raises hand....I did that once, at a horse show. I grabbed the bottle of RepelX instead of the Leather conditioner.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I had a bee in my room one day (allergic), went downstairs, grabbed the bee and wasp spray, came back upstairs and hit the sucker with a shot of it. Usually they take a minute to drop. This one dropped to the windowsill immediately after being hit. I looked at the can. I had grabbed the 3M adhesive spray by accident. Worked just as well...but it sucked wiping it off the window.

HORSES,

Hair spray works well on them also and easier to clean up than the adhesive spray!