The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old Horse Movie, need name???

THere was a movie in the late 60s about a horse and a mute boy named Phillip. He names the horse Phillip as well. In the movie the horse gets stuck in quick sand and the boy gets him out and speaks, does anyone know the name of this movie...

Thank you!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Maybe the "Sad Horse" with Brandon de Wilde?

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

That would be ... drum roll, please! ... "Run Wild, Run Free." The boy is Mark Lester, of "Oliver!" fame. It's actually quite a lovely movie.
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Wink

Oh Wow. I can't believe someone else remembers that movie! I'd watch it every time it came on when I could get it in (hard to get in with the rabbit ears I think I was 5 and cried every time the pony got stuck in the mud but got up when the boy finally spoke. Sigh. Thanks for taking me back down memory lane.

Default another movie!

Ok - does someone remember the one called something like Maryland, where the horse falls during a foxhunt and the rider is killed or badly hurt, and the groom is ordered to destroy the horse...black and white from the 30s or 40s with lots of those dramatic movie actresses speaking with a high society accent...

Quote Originally Posted by prudence View Post
    Ok - does someone remember the one called something like Maryland, where the horse falls during a foxhunt and the rider is killed or badly hurt, and the groom is ordered to destroy the horse...black and white from the 30s or 40s with lots of those dramatic movie actresses speaking with a high society accent...
    I think this is the one you're looking for, and yes, its title is "Maryland" http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/1018...yland/overview

Thanks for the info - you are a better googler than I!

ps I notice it was in technicolor, but it wasn't on my old b/w...

Thanks for posting those. I can't believe I've never seen either of them. I love old horse movies from the 30s and 40s, so I'd really like to see Maryland.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    That would be ... drum roll, please! ... "Run Wild, Run Free." The boy is Mark Lester, of "Oliver!" fame. It's actually quite a lovely movie.

Was that a British movie, and there was always a lot of mist swirling around, and the pony got stuck in a bottomless bog, not quicksand? Or am I thinking of a different movie?

If it's the same one, it's a terrible tear-jerker - I remember crying until I threw up when watching it.

It was chosen by the parents for the Pony Club Christmas party one year, and I wasn't the only one throwing up; we were all equally stricken. Fine old mess that was - not quite the sweet pony movie they'd hoped for!

Yes, that would be the same movie, and I can understand why you cried. The movie is indeed British and the pony indeed becomes bog-bound, but in Yank terminology, it was quicksand.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    That would be ... drum roll, please! ... "Run Wild, Run Free."
    I never saw the movie, but I've read the book it was based on. The title was originally "The White Colt" but it can also be found under the movie title "Run Wild, Run Free" and it was written by David Rook.

I remember it as Run Wild, Run free and it sure was moving-I loved it!

Wow, I still vaguely remember watching that movie, it's probably been close to thirty years ago. I wonder if it's available anywhere?
    Nobody puts baby in a corner