The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    "hink some dogs just need to mull things over a little bit."

it's called latent learning. Some animals (not just dogs, horses and people do it too), need down time to process what they have been taught. Often they can't process immediately when there is a high stress level so if "put away" or "left alone" it will process at a later time.

I would use a marker word, and food with Malarkey, for the simple reason that food lowers adrenalin levels. It will help him to learn to relax during training sessions.

see this article for a how and why:

http://dragonflyllama.com/%20DOGS/Wr...ulOfTeeth.html
    The lady that wrote that article gave a two day seminar to our dog club here about a few weeks ago ago.
    She is incredible to watch working with dogs.
    Many of her theories and techniques are really interesting.
    She also knows when she doesn't know and helps you find ways to accomplish what you want anyway.
    She is very entertaining, so much we were wishing she could have stayed longer.
    We were already following much of what she and other such trainers are doing, but the seminar made it more clear for us.
    We are changing two of our basic classes to incorporate what she was suggesting, with interesting techniques to teach dogs self control.

Good luck with your further training.
    Nothing like keep practicing to get better, both, the trainers and dogs.

Sue is the only trainer I'd hand either my lead or my lead rope to without one second of hesitation. She's an *outstanding* trainer. She's smart, approachable and.....has a brain injury.

which only makes her more incredible.

lucky lucky lucky you Bluey. I attended one seminar and have toyed with the idea of having Sue come here at some point. She's wonderful, isn't she?

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    lucky lucky lucky you Bluey. I attended one seminar and have toyed with the idea of having Sue come here at some point. She's wonderful, isn't she?
    Yes, she is a neat lady that knows her stuff.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Y'all are going to be sick of me. I am SO GRATEFUL for the ideas here. Completely got me thinking entirely differently.

It's very obvious now that she knows the job. If the pen lands on the floor instead of in the colander, she sort of rolls her eyes and picks it up again. If it still isn't in by the fourth try, she stops and stares closely at the pen, then moves to stare closely at the colander, as if reminding the two of their relationship. Then she tries again.
    "As if reminding the two of their relationship."

Seriously, I suspect the author antromorphises a wee bit... OTOH, she has me THINKING completely differently.

Eamon & I had a completely SMASHINGLY SUCCESSFUL walk on leash this afternoon. Almost heeling, on a super light leash (halti, though we try the gentle leader tomorrow.) But it's MY attention and attitude that's changed.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the blog, and will work my way through the training levels. Blog first, it appeals to MY way of learning.

And I'm very interested to try a gentle leader harness on Malarkey. He's just not as interested in the headcollar as Eamon, and yet isn't as hard a puller either. The harness might be the ticket. For Eams, the headcollar is BRILLIANT. Wow. I'm SO happy with today's walk. He walks on leash like my horses walk on lead.

Thank you all again so much. For some reason it's an emotional day for me today... three weeks since Shan left. I have hope and grins though, along with the sadness. The boys are getting along quite well--and Sue's article about 'dominance' was eye opening. So much to learn for the human...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

Y'all are going to be sick of me. I am SO GRATEFUL for the ideas here. Completely got me thinking entirely differently.

"As if reminding the two of their relationship."

Seriously, I suspect the author antromorphises a wee bit... OTOH, she has me THINKING completely differently.

Eamon & I had a completely SMASHINGLY SUCCESSFUL walk on leash this afternoon. Almost heeling, on a super light leash (halti, though we try the gentle leader tomorrow.) But it's MY attention and attitude that's changed.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the blog, and will work my way through the training levels. Blog first, it appeals to MY way of learning.

And I'm very interested to try a gentle leader harness on Malarkey. He's just not as interested in the headcollar as Eamon, and yet isn't as hard a puller either. The harness might be the ticket. For Eams, the headcollar is BRILLIANT. Wow. I'm SO happy with today's walk. He walks on leash like my horses walk on lead.

Thank you all again so much. For some reason it's an emotional day for me today... three weeks since Shan left. I have hope and grins though, along with the sadness. The boys are getting along quite well--and Sue's article about 'dominance' was eye opening. So much to learn for the human...
    which entry was this? And yes, Sue does that, but she is such an outstanding trainer I think she does that for the humans in the equation more than she does because she thinks the dog is really thinking that.

I don't dare look at that website because I need to get other things done today... but a couple ideas. I had a difficult dog years ago and his dog school teacher suggested finding some treat that was so incredibly yummy to him that he would choose it over other doggy distractions. For him, it was cheeseburgers from Burger King. We'd stop on the way to dog school, he'd smell it in the car and then get bits for rewards during class. It was worth the greasy fingers. So for your dog who's not terribly treat oriented - maybe looking outside the biscuit box for a different treat? You were saying you have trouble getting one of them into the car - maybe pick up some takeout on the way home and have them "kennel" into the back seat for a snack, without going anywhere? then start little drives with dinner to follow?

Other thought: we have Hamilton harnesses for our Labs and they make walking two at a time SO much easier. They don't get tangled in each other's leashes when the leashes come over their backs, and they don't get their foot over the leash when it comes from mid-back. Granted, ours are old ladies now and don't pull and have been trained to heel on either side of me when we walk, but now and then when I'm too lazy to put on harnesses for a quickie around the block, I realize how much easier they make walking two at a time.