The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Raised by a Jack Russell

When I was a kid, my mother, who is Romanian, would ask when we were misbehaving, if we were raised by gypsies. Now I have the corollary question in the dog world, were you raised by Jack Russells?

What were we thinking? We got this really nice well-bred German Shepherd puppy. She is beautiful black and tan but mostly black and we named her Halle Beary. We aren't around much so our Jack Russell and Toy Fox Terrier have been in charge of her upbringing. They have done a really good job housebreaking her. She literally was housebroken within two weeks of being home without a crate. Unfortunately after 3-1/2 months I am starting to realize that she thinks she is a Jack Russell. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jack Russell but he weighs no more than 15 pounds give or take. Halle weighed 50 pounds three weeks ago when she was 4 months old. Am I on the road to owning a 100 pound Jack Russell? Can you imagine?

well, i have raised some JRT's and i would not want a Huge one. But not sure what you can do about it.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

You might NEED to send HER to the gypsies for a while... you're screwed if you end up with a 100# JRTerrorist...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

My JRT was raised by my Rottie, so he thinks that he is 100lbs+ of pure Rottie w/ the JRT bounce thrown in for good measure. He then raised my chihuahua, so now we have a 5 lb, 8" tall monster who thinks she is a JRT who thinks he is a Rottie! It is quite funny to watch her "protect" what she thinks is hers. We just have to be careful when she is around other dogs because she really does think that she can whip anybody's butt. Not a good thing!
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

Yikes! A 15 lb. Jack Russell is as much trouble as any other 100 lb. dog, so if he thinks he is a Jack Russell AND he ends up being 100 lbs, then that is like having a 200 lb. dog!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

imissvixen, I have a young Doberman being raised by JRT's too! It's not too bad-lots of digging, tug of war and rat hunting-the Dobe doesn't have the JRT's selective hearing problem, thank goodness!

my chocolate lab is named Halle Berry, just thought I'd add that in there.

LOL, heaven help you if that happens.

When our now 13 year old Jack was a youngin he created a task of charging the vacumn and barking at it when ever I used it. It was funny as all heck. I'd hate to see that happen with a mega big shepard.

LOL! Try 5 of them... Oh yeah, that's a whole another story... Throw in a 6 week old baby boy.... NEVER a dull moment here! LOL! Our one female is such a princess, it's so funny! She gives all the others the most dirty of looks when they want lap time and she is in your lap.
    They all act like children, fight each other at certain times, act like snobs when people go to touch them, and so much more... I shake my head... LOL!!
    Unbridled Oaks - Champion Sport Ponies and Welsh Cobs

Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/unbridledoaks

Been there - three Jacks and a GSD. GSD only pretends to be a Jack when he thinks he can get away with it. Like draping himself over a friend of mine on the sofa. (He is not allowed on the sofa, the Jacks are). He is Teutonic enough to distinguish between his set of rules and those for the Jacks. Actually, the GSD and the more obedient Jack have one set of more restrictive rules. The ancient deaf blind Jack has no rules - just right - she bosses everyone around, yelling at the top of her lungs whether she is facing them or not. The younger female Jack is too stupid, opportunistic and self-centered to have any rules except that behavior which can be influenced by cookies. Good thing she is really cute. Glad someone else shares a love of this crazy mixed up combination!

OH gosh, this thread is SO funny!! I have a 18lb JR terror and a 92lb Flat Coat Retriever mix and I always say that I'm so very glad the big one doesn't act like the little one or I'd be in BIG trouble.

My JRT was raised by my Rottie, so he thinks that he is 100lbs+ of pure Rottie w/ the JRT bounce thrown in for good measure. He then raised my chihuahua, so now we have a 5 lb, 8" tall monster who thinks she is a JRT who thinks he is a Rottie! It is quite funny to watch her "protect" what she thinks is hers. We just have to be careful when she is around other dogs because she really does think that she can whip anybody's butt. Not a good thing!

We just visit homes with Jacks and Chihuahuas, but I thought they ALL know for sure they are 3 feet tall and able to whip anybody's butt. Aren't they?