The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To Those Shopping for Mortality & Major Medical Insurance...

Let me save you some time I scoured COTH for reputable companies and ended up with a list of 6. I got quotes from all of them and there were some pretty substantial differences between a few of the companies. I ended up with Hallmark - they had the best price and policy. I had this all typed up already so I thought I'd spend a few minutes copy/pasting it and hopefully save somebody some work (the whole process took me hours)! The following were rates for an 11 yr old hunter/jumper mare.

Markel
    Mortality: 3.5 % of insured amount
    Major Medical ($8,000 limit): additional $221
    $500 deductible w/ 25% co-pay on first $2000 plus 40% of diagnostics/therapy

Equisure (w/ USEF membership)
    Mortality: 3.68 %
    Major Medical ($10,000 limit): additional $206 w/ $250 deductible and 20% co-pay

Hallmark
    Mortality: 3.4 %
    Major Medical ($7,500 limit): additional $275 w/$300 deductible

EMO
    Mortality: 3.7 %
    MM ($7,500 limit): additional $250

Wells Fargo (GAIC policy)
    Mortality: 3.7%
    MM ($7500 limit): additional $250 w/ $250 deductible

Blue Bridle
    Mortality: 3.7%
    MM: ($7,500 limit) additional $250 w/ $250 deductible

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks!!!!! I was just going to start this process. I'm with Markel currently, and they've been great, but we are all trying to save some $$$ these days!

You missed a good one in Taylor Harris. They are great to deal with and price out well too, I think.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Broadstone equine is great as well. They paid out very quickly when my horse had colic surgery, and they're great about helping with anything needed.
    ~Waiting to Be Spotted~ ~Jet Lag~
    ~Willie Cruise~
    Hot Tea

Markel has several other medical/surgical options as well- both cheaper and more expensive The diagnostic copay is only applied to lameness conditions- not things like colics or lacerations,etc.
    I have had excellent experiences with them as I have my horse insured through them- with the med/surg plan with a $250 deductible and no copay (except on lameness claims). Paid quickly with no hassel on multiple occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by jetandmegs4 View Post
    Broadstone equine is great as well. They paid out very quickly when my horse had colic surgery, and they're great about helping with anything needed.
    You have to check on imaging fees also. Broadstone paid for only 1/2 of my friend's bone scan and none of the corrective shoeing needed for recovery.

Where as Great American paid for ALL of my MRI (I asked them and they pay 100% of bone scans also) and paid for the corrective shoeing needed on the injured foot. That is basically almost 2K more than Broadstone would have dished out to me.

General impressions of all insurances: So you may save 50 bucks here and there on deductibles or annual payment but what about the 700 bucks for half the bone scan or 1K for half the MRI?

That is where insurance becomes tricky.
    ; )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Agreed Purplnurpl... another good thing to find out is the company's policy on preexisting conditions that you don't know about. Honestly don't know about- not fraud. Also, on agreed value- which is for a mortality claim- that the insurance company will pay the insured value in the event of a loss, not necessarily the value of the horse at TOD (if they determine it's value has gone down due to not having shown in a few months, or whatever)
    Best advice? Read the policy!!!

I'd be careful going by these. I have a $3500 horse and what I pay is a good $200 more than what your quote ends up.

I used to have Marshall & Sterling (Great American)

Is that company no longer competitive?

They paid a colic claim promptly and in full. No hassle, no headache.

Thumbs up from me on Hallmark. Prompt payment of claims and great to work with.
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

Check not only exclusions for pre exsisting conditions but notification requirements in emergencies and/or necropsy requirements when euthanized due to catastrophic injury or illness without prior notification and approval.

That is where most disputes and claim denials originate.

Make sure you understand and make sure whoever your horse is managed by does as well.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I second Hallmark. I had full coverage on my mare when she had colic surgery. They were WONDERFUL to deal with. Yes, I had to pay all vet bills up front, but once submitted, had my reimbursements (less deductible) within 10 days. I highly recommend them.

I used to be a HUGE fan of Hallmark, until this year. Over a month ago my horse was hospitalized for a very high fever (over 106). I submitted my bills promptly, we're at the 30 day mark and no check, just a confirmation that they got my bills. Two years ago when I a lameness claim on another horse, the whole process was DONE withn 30 days. It's making me want to shop my insurance, and I've been with Hallmark for over 10 years! BE CAREFUL! I want to make sure the COMPANY is Great American... all the names we've mentined are AGENCIES not INSURANCE COMPANIES...

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    I'd be careful going by these. I have a $3500 horse and what I pay is a good $200 more than what your quote ends up.
    Sometimes they have a minimum premium, so maybe that is why? I have Great American and for my $4,000 youngster, even though mortality is 3.6% of value ($144) and major medical is $250 (so the total is $394), I have to pay the minimum premium, which is $450.

The percentage you pay on mortality can differ -- my "pleasure" horses are 3.6% of value, while the "hunter/jumper" horses are 3.7%.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post

Where as Great American paid for ALL of my MRI (I asked them and they pay 100% of bone scans also) and paid for the corrective shoeing needed on the injured foot. That is basically almost 2K more than Broadstone would have dished out to me.

)
    I have Great American (the company) through EMO (the agency...great point, whoever made it) and they've been great about paying on everything. I've had diagnostics for lamenesses as well as illness totally up to $4000.00 each time and they never even blinked. Easy peasy payout and I like that. I'm puzzled, though, as to why they paid your horse's shoeing (jealous, actually) because I had one with MAJOR shoeing issues and they were quite clear from the beginning that it wasn't covered. Anything to "heal an illness", yes, anything to "diagnose an illness/lameness, yes, but corrective (like shoeing) or maintenance stuff (like Adequan/Legend/joint injections)...NO.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Since the work is done--can anyone tell me of those companies (others ok too!) who does Farm & homeowners as well?

Currently with AgriRisk, and haven't had running water since Dec. 9, STILL AWAITING A CHECK 3 weeks post SECOND visit from the adjuster...

Needless to say I'm looking for another provider.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    Since the work is done--can anyone tell me of those companies (others ok too!) who does Farm & homeowners as well?

Currently with AgriRisk, and haven't had running water since Dec. 9, STILL AWAITING A CHECK 3 weeks post SECOND visit from the adjuster...

I know that Blue Bridle and Broadstone (both agencies) only do farm liability, not general Farm and Homeowners.

FWIW, my horse is insured with Blue Bridle through Great American. They have always been GREAT about answering my questions. Broadstone helped me get a friend's horse insured, and they were also excellent.

BTW, something that hasn't been brought up is the insurance percentage rates quoted by the OP. They not only vary by the underwriter but by the type of work the horse is doing. I believe for my Great American policy, my horse is insured at 3.7% because he is an eventing horse up to Training Level, but if he were ever to become dressage only, that is about .3% cheaper. So it really depends on what your horse does for a living and at what level.

Markel is not an agency- they are the company, and the med/surg policies cover corrective shoeing if prescribed by a vet...

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

Did you ever look into your local/state Farm Bureau or State Farm?
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Default Broadstone

Broadstone was very helpful when my young horse died. I was in a state far from home, without my mom (this was when I was only 18), and absolutely devastated. Rick Temple was SO nice and helpful, I was/am really grateful.