The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fit of Tailored Sportsman Breeches

I was wondering how TS breeches fit compared to other breeches. I've never actually had a pair, but was looking at getting some. I was looking at either the Trophy hunters or the TS breeches. The breeches I'm wearing now are the On Course Premier breeches and I also have a pair of Tuffriders. Does anyone know how they fit compared to those? I've also had ariats in the past.

I find they fit small. They come in waist sizes, so I figured I'd order the same size as I wear in jeans. They arrived and didn't fit. I had to send them back and get a size larger. Just my experience.

I have a pair of the front zip low-rise trophy hunters and find that they run true to size. They are 4-way stretch so more comfortable than the 2-way ones, which fit different (I find that those run a bit small). They don't shrink around the waist area either after washing, but they did get shorter (i'm happy I got the L and not the R).

Default SHRINKING

I do not think the waist can shrink as they breeches are made more like Mens trousers with a non stretch waistband...

For me, I find the fit of TS to be horrible. I have never found a pair that come remotely close to fitting well enough for me to spend the money on them. I am 5'6, 102lb with extremely long legs, so finding breeches that do not hang off me is always a problem. I think it really depends on your body type though, what fits me seems to never fit anyone else, and vice versa. I like the fit of most ariats and equine couture over TS, and I love their price tag!

I do know that TS has loads of different styles, each fitting differently, so I would say you have to try them on to see for yourself.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

I tried a pair and they did not fit me at all. I am 5'11, about 140 lbs, with skinny legs, and butt but my waist is size 30. So, I tend to fit well into pants/jeans which are either low rise and/or strechy.
    I tried low rise TS in size 30 and they were tight in waist and too bit in butt and short :O
    Kingsland (sp?) in medium and Schumacher (30) tend to fit be beautifully. I school in strechy Irideon and the problem is solved
    Although, I would love to hear about breeches experience from people with simular body types.

If you have a chance to run to a local tack shop to try them on, I would strongly suggest doing so.

They have a very odd fit and you will know as soon as you try them on. I usually wear Ariats and Pytchleys but bought some TS's recently. I haven't worn them since I was in my early teens and my body isn't what it was then!

As for sizing, their waist sizes run about a size or two smaller than most other breeches. The two way and four way stretch do fit different so trying both on would be ideal.

Not to hijack this thread...

But does anyone know how SmartPak britches fit? I keep seeing the scrolling bar at the top of this page with the custom britches options and I am a little obsessed with them.

Thanks!

Default One thing you could try...

Pretty much all TS breeches don't fit me. I have the same problem that someone else mentioned... I have a small butt, narrow hips and skinny legs but my waist isn't that small. I wear a 28ish in most breeches and my waist fits in a 30 in TSs but they're HUGE everywhere else.

BUT my trainer suggested trying the kids breeches since they're cut narrower everywhere except the waste. Well, I tried on a used pair of 18 girls' TS and they fit really good with even a little room to spare in the waste!! I think I got them for $35 and they're one of my favorite pair to school in.

The Ariats fit me much better and my show pants are the RJ classics WEF low rise breeches... they're AWESOME and even better they're only $100.

Just try different ones on and check in consigment areas... you'll be surprised what you find!!

I love my TSs. They're the only britches that fit me well. I'm 5'6" with muscled legs and a ghetto booty and they fit me very well. I wear the low rise style and they come up right under my belly button, relax through the butt and thigh, and then fit in again at the knee and calf. They're perfect for me. I've tried Ariats before and I hated them. The seam in the back and the V-fit system was not comfortable at all for me.

I too, found that I had to size up in Tailored Sportsmans. I normally wear a 32 in jeans/pants, but a 34 is best for me with Tailored Sportsmans. I also think the style has to do with the fit, because I CAN wear a 32 in the Supreme Hunter, but the TS schoolers must be 34 (they are both four-way stretch). I like the way they fit everywhere else, though.

p.s. Yes, the waist does not stretch, which means there's not much room for error. I have found there's room to take them out/in, though!

depends entirely on the model of TS you try out. theyre all different because that way it will fit different bodies. then again, usually people are either ariat people or TS people (in terms of fit) and then some of us (like myself) can fit in both (though i am most comfortable in TS, i have one pair of ariats that i wear when i school). try on all the different types beofre you buy ! it's the only real way to know what size and model you are in their breeches. i am a 14 R (childrens) in the supreme hunters but i find a 14 in the royals to be too tight for my comfort. granted, theyre really not tight at all but i really like my breeches to be loose. plus, the 16s in the royals are TOO loose, esp. in the waist. butttt, with the schoolies, a 16 r fits me nicely, though the waist is loose.
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

TS fit me like ILuvMyBoy described. If the waist fits, the rest is baggy. I guess I could get a pair of 28's and have the waist let out. I have found the TS Trophy Hunters are a little more generous in the waist and have a way more flattering fit on me. Thanks for the tip on trying the children's breeches.

I just tried a pair of Ariat All Circuits and they fit OK except for this big puff of material at each hip. I had to return them.

Default Some history

The story of TS breeches is kind of interesting.
    When they first came onto the market there were really own two brands of breeches selling in the US. Millers and Tailored Sportsman.
    The Millers breeches sold under different names like Regency etc were knit construction and were tight, close fitting in nature. TS was actually a uniform company and made breeches out of a woven fabric, pretty much like those used in mens apparel. The fit was not clingy like the knit breeches. They provided a distinctive look and became popular on the show circuit.
    The one thing that no one ever thought was that the TS fit well. Heck pretty much the opposite but they had a look that become in a sense a status symbol. The uniform of Hunter/Jumpers. Today with the development of new fabrics and an eye toward better fit and performance many new brandes have entered the market with a better fit and with enhanced performance. In fact the family that developed the TS breech sold the company quite a while back and have since gone on to developing much higher performance and better fitting breeches.

Default I have both TS and OC Premier

I just recently ordered a pair of the OC Premier online and wear TS style 1965 for showing (I only do little shows, so I don't see any reason these aren't fine for showing, IMO). A 36R TS style 1965 fits like it was custom made for me--I'm curvy and short. I wear 32s in OC pull ons to school in (which fit me like a dream), so I ordered 34R in the Premier side zips b/c I usually go up a size in side zips. However, they are skin tight and fit much more like a long. I'm 5'3" and the TS length is perfect for me, but I'd have to be ~3-4 inches taller before I would be happy with the length of the Premiers. The overall cut is fairly similar, although I find the leg to be much slimmer in the Premier than the TS and the hip area to be only a smidgeon slimmer in the 34 Premier than the 36 TS. The waist seems about the same. Hope that helps.

FWIW, if anyone is looking for a pair of Premiers, PM me. Tags still attached, but was a final sale, so I'm considering rehoming them rather than letting them collect dust.

Yep, I think TS breeches, of various styles, fit different types of people differently. I live out in cowboy-nowhere-ville, so I waited until I took a business trip to Boston to actually try them on and find some that worked. (Nearest tack shop to me is 350 miles away.)

I have a rather large waist-to-hip ratio (small waist, normalish butt), AND I'm on the tall side, which makes it difficult to fit in the other brands, as things that fit my waist are waaay too tight in the hips/butt/upper thighs. I find that the lower-end TS fit me amazingly well. While I could get the waist taken in just a smidge, I don't feel like I have panty lines and every butt dimple magnified for all to see. In fact, I feel OK wearing them to the grocery store on the way home and don't feel like an aerobics instructor with my ass on display.

They do run quite small. If you're getting the kind you intend to throw in the washing machine, go even one more size up, since they shrink even in the cold cycle and air-drying. (Yes, they do.) I am 5'8", 127, and wear a 4 or 6 tall/long in normal pants. I like the fit of the 30L, low rise, TS. I could squeeze into the 28L, but I don't want my butt out there for all to see. Sorry, ya'll

I've found that the TS, Supreme Hunter, Professionals, and Royal Hunters - in the exact same size - fit completely differently. Like a previous poster mentioned, head to your local tack shop and try a bunch on. I can't, for the life of me, wear the 2 way stretch, but the 4 way stretch of the Supreme and Pros fit well.

The Pikeur breeches that everyone is wearing now, while pricey, are pretty sweet.

[QUOTE=Two Black Cats;3934343]I've found that the TS, Supreme Hunter, Professionals, and Royal Hunters - in the exact same size - fit completely differently. Like a previous poster mentioned, head to your local tack shop and try a bunch on.

QUOTE]

Try a bunch on. I have a lot of pairs of the two way stretch, one 4 way stretch, and one 2 way low rise. The ones that are the regular two way stretch are all the same style, same size, etc. but no two fit the same. One pair is super baggy, another I can barely zip, some have tight bands around the calves, others are so loose they get caught zipping my tall boots. I swear no two TS's are the same size!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "While girls schools are notoriously wild, the true party-hearty girl attends Hollins" ~The Preppy Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by IsolaBella09 View Post
    I love my TSs. They're the only britches that fit me well. I'm 5'6" with muscled legs and a ghetto booty and they fit me very well. I wear the low rise style and they come up right under my belly button, relax through the butt and thigh, and then fit in again at the knee and calf. They're perfect for me. I've tried Ariats before and I hated them. The seam in the back and the V-fit system was not comfortable at all for me.

Which style do you wear? You sound like you're built a little like me and I've never found TS that fit me well. I love the Ariat Brittany though.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I'm also 5'6 with muscular legs and a big (but not droopy) butt.

The low-rise trophy hunters fit me well.

All the other ones don't though.