The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conformation Critique Please

Honest appraisal - no flames please.
    Thanks.
    http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...t-Mare_web.gif

first impressions.... Short neck, thick throatlatch, long back, wasp waisted. Legs appear pretty straight, good length and angles of pasterns. Mare appears pretty level from the general topline but it looks decieving, and I suspect she's going to have a hard time staying off her forehand.

Sorry if it seems really harsh, I'me better at seeing what's not right than what is. I'm sure somebdy more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

No problem with your comments... Just give it to me straight! Thanks

The horse is not standing in a flattering position. Parked out in a Arabian pose. Notice that her left hind leg is way too far out behind her with the point of hock being out beyond the point of buttocks. The hind leg standing out behind like this (6-8 inches past where it should be) give the impression and illusion of:

open hip angle
    straight stifle
    straightish hock
    down hill stifle to elbow
    wasp waist because weight is more forward over front legs instead of balanced on all 4
    straight shoulder - notice front legs angle is slightly underneath body
    long back

Stand the horse up more squarely and balanced, and you will probably find a nicely conformed horse with much more balanced conformation. Don't know that she has a short neck with thick throat, as head is up and that closed the throat angle. Looks like she might have wide jaws from the shadow but hard to tell.

I like the overall impression of the horse and think I'd like her even more if she was stood up correctly.

I actually think this is a very nice mare with a very good functionnal conformation.

Yes, perhaps not the prettiest heads but the rest is very good. She actually is not heavy on her forehand at all, seems like she has a good LS, a bit of a flatter croup normally associated with dressage but the rest of her hind end suggest more a career over fences.

I think she is rather nice also.
    She appears to be big bodied, deep hearth girth, and has a lovely hind end...deep hip, well angulated hind leg (based on right hind). Her back is a bit long, but she appears very strong in her loin, so not a big concern. Her shoulder is a bit steep, but is fairly open. Her neck is attached cleanly, but she could use some more length in her neck and her head is lacking feminity. She appears to be standing pretty wide, especially in front, but it is hard to tell from the side angle.
    My only real concern would be she appears a little light boned for her body size and could use some more substance in her knees and hocks.
    my 0.02c.

Well I am going to Disagree with HOrsegal and Fantastic,

I do not think she is wasp waisted, yes in the photo she looks slightly downhill but - she actually has quite good LS placement, I like that her point of shoulder is fairly high, yes she has a shorter neck, but I like where it is placed.

Further, you can say she has a straight shoulder, but it does not mean anything, what matters is the angle of the shoulder from wither to point of shoulder to elbow, and her angle is very nice. Meaning she probably can pull those knees right up over fences.

I surmise if you do a lot of transitions to keep her from getting heavy in front, you might have a cool powerful mare in front of you.

Since this is the active conformation thread on SHB, I posting a shameless bump for Taking (Great) Conformation Pictures

It seems like only about 1 in 20 conformation photos on this BB are really good for critique, a lot are OK, and about as many are really awful (this is no comment on the photos posted by the OP).

When I searched the archives, I couldn't find a reference tread collecting all the wisdom which is scattered (and sometimes repeated) over all the conformation critque threads.

If you've got wisdom to share, do.

Centuree said:
    Well I am going to Disagree with HOrsegal and Fantastic,

I do not think she is wasp waisted,

I did not say she is wasp waisted, Centuree, so please read my post in it's entirety. My post is centered around the way the horse is standing and how that stance gives the impression of certain conformation traits.

What I said regarding being WW was, "the hind leg standing out behind like that gives the impression and illusion of" a wasp waist, etc.

I agree that she appears to be light on the forehand. i also think she would have good scope over fences.

Sorry but I don't think the LS is that good based on what I saw when I turned the photo upside down. She appears to have some ridging of the muscles along the spine in front of the loin which goes with a weaker LS.

JMHO

What has she done or is she doing?

Thumbs down

I personaly think she very corse and not put together well at all... The FIRST thing I noticed was her not so pretty clunky unfemine head, short neck, flat coupe that drops off, and appears to be heavy in the front and light in the rear. I hope you aren't going to breed her???
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Looks to me like a draft crossed on TB that inherited the TB legs. She's TALL!
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Wow, what a variety of opinions! Just goes to show that everyone does for different types. Not perfect, but personally, I like her!!
    Work - feed - ride - shovel poop - repeat.

I'm going to start off by saying, "you don't ride the head" - so as long as she has room in her mouth for comfortable bit(s) placement, and a decent throatlatch, and a neck that can support the head, I think you are fine! Of course, for a hunter horse, she might not do so well, but for dressage and jumpers, the "beauty" of the head is less important.

I'd like to see her more uphill - that is what jumps out at me first - she gives an immediate impression of being downhill, which of course, makes it harder to collect for dressage, and harder to get up in front for the big jumps.

Then next think I see is a hind end that isn't quite large enough to power a heavy front end. I don't think the shape and angles are bad, I just think she's got a fairly heavy shoulder and neck, and could use a bit more balance (size) behind.

Yeah, she's a bit long in the back - but most mares are - nature gives them more room for baby to mature I think she's a bit light in the bone and her joints are kind of small for such a big girl.

If she was a dressage horse, I'd probably like to see a more laid back shoulder - to allow more reach in front. But I like the leg angles, front legs are straight, pasterns are nice, feet look good. And I think if she was set up a bit different - not looking so tightly held up in the head (reaching just a bit more forward in the neck), her shoulder might look a bit better too.
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry