The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Jingles for Nakita from SC!

And some words of hope: We had a Tervuren bitch who developed a mysterious, very-sudden-onset liver issue. Some sort of hard-hitting infection that the vets (very good vets at a huge hospital with resources out the wazoo) just couldn't definitively identify. Maddie got very sick, very fast ... we feared the worst. But she DID recover (took about a week and included a couple of days in the hospital) with broad-spectrum antibiotics and supportive care and had no problems afterward.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Sorry to hear about your girl. I almost lost my Husky many years ago (when she was 9, she died when she was 14) from being poisoned (someone's idea of a cruel joke.)

She was an outside dog that immediately became an inside dog again. It wasn't until she turned around and was getting better that the figured she'd been poisoned so it was hard to treat. All she did was lay around and sleep and it was like pulling teeth just to get her outside to potty.

Getting her to eat was a challenge, but I knew what she liked. I got her to eat to regain her strength by fixing her scrambled eggs and hamburger twice a day, as much as I could get her to eat. She ate that for a over month until she was well enough and started eating dog food again. The extra protein helped w/ the anemia she had.

She made a full recovery. I hope this happens for your girl. They are very special dogs for sure. I miss my girl. She's been gone 5 years now. Her name was Sasha. Give your girls a pet for me.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

amdfarm--

That's terrible about your girl!!!! People who poison other people's dogs should just be shot!

It's going to be a challenge in the eating department. The trick with our two is having a variety in their diet. So, I'm prepared to make a trip to PetCo tonight and pick up some different goodies for her to eat (all with vet approval). I feel like she won't be in the free and clear for awhile, not until I see her big white tail wagging again and high-fives and hugs. She's doing better, but still not her old self, which I know will take awhile. Thank goodness she's in good shape and strong.

She's going to be inside a lot more now. I want to keep a careful watch on her while she's recovering.

Huskies are special dogs indeed. I don't believe I could have another breed. (well, maybe a dobie, nah, huskies all the way).

Thanks coloredhorse for the encouraging words. We're going on 3 full days in the vet hospital, and if everything stays the same today or improves, then she'll come home. I'm nervous about her recovery. I just hope she doesn't relapse once she's home and I can't watch her 24/7 while we're at work. She will have Sheba with her, but that's not the same. I may see about bringing her in on Monday, and having the vet just look at her to make sure she's not rebounding. Poor girl. It's hard to watch a husky that's not bubbly and hyper. Even my husband can't believe how sick she's been.

The vet's office hasn't called me today, so I'm guessing that everything is okay. I will give them a shout later to find out about the bile acid test. I'm hoping it's good news.

Christina
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Just a side note, I don't want to panic you or anything, but if she turns out to be positive for Lepto it is zoonotic, meaning you can get it as well. It is more rare in people, and most only devlop mild flu symptoms and then recover. However it can cause kidney damage in some people, so if you or your hubby starts to feel ill in the next few weeks you should probably give your doc a call. It is contagous to people through contact with blood or urine from a sick dog, so be careful when she comes home if she has accidents.

Hope she's still improving, and your other dog is doing well.

Katherine, Vet Technician

Sending good wishes for your Husky girl.

If you want to make some healthy treats that dogs love, you can easily make home made chicken jerky.

Preheat oven to 180.

Use a nonstick cookie sheet or grease a cookie sheet.

Cut chicken in thin strips. (I froze the chicken first, then partially defrosted, and cut with a serrated knife).

Lay on cookie sheet.

Bake 2 hrs at 180, then turn pieces over and bake another hour. Sore in Ziplock bag.

Very healthy and all my dogs LOVE them.

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    amdfarm--

That's terrible about your girl!!!! People who poison other people's dogs should just be shot!

It's going to be a challenge in the eating department. The trick with our two is having a variety in their diet. So, I'm prepared to make a trip to PetCo tonight and pick up some different goodies for her to eat (all with vet approval). I feel like she won't be in the free and clear for awhile, not until I see her big white tail wagging again and high-fives and hugs. She's doing better, but still not her old self, which I know will take awhile. Thank goodness she's in good shape and strong.

She's going to be inside a lot more now. I want to keep a careful watch on her while she's recovering.

Huskies are special dogs indeed. I don't believe I could have another breed. (well, maybe a dobie, nah, huskies all the way).
    That's what I kinda thought, too, but of course couldn't prove who did it. We only found out because the Fire Chief and friend that lived down the road from us had two dogs come down the same symptoms, but both of them died (both well trained Labs, hunting dogs and their kid's best buds.) Then another neighbor lost his dog, too. Mine was the only dog out of 4 that we found out about that lived. Husky's are tough, no doubt about it. I spend a ton of money trying to figure out what was making her sick (University, local vets, etc... and nobody could tell me so we treated the symptoms.)

Vets said to give her anything she'll eat that's high in protein. So eggs, scrambled and a tiny bit raw mixed w/ browned hamburger. She didn't eat a whole lot at first, but it worked. She had to eat something and it didn't interfere w/ her sensitive tummy. When she regained more strength, I was able to start adding her dog food in w/ the mixture and eventually back off all together.

She never had one accident in the house either. If I couldn't get her to walk out, I carried her. She was an inside dog before she became an outside dog, so she still remembered that going in the house was not a good thing. I wouldn't have been mad at her if she did.

My girl was obedience trained through Advanced and had her CGC. She also knew how to "high five". Such a cool dog. I will have another Husky again. They're cool dogs. Getting teary just typing about her now. I so miss my Pooter Newter. Her nickname was Newt (from the Alien movie.) She was the first dog I ever bought. Got her when she was 8 weeks.

Jingles for Nakita. Do you have a pic of your girl so we can see who you're talking about and Sheba, too?

Here's one of my girl doing what she loved to do in her pool. Yep, she had her own pool, but had to share it w/ the lab and GSD, too. Do your girls love water, too? She would go nuts in the hose biting the water and chasing it.
    http://www.geocities.com/rljoutdoors/images/pool1.jpg

I raised three litters of pups w/ her, too. They were so much fun!!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm

amdfarm--

What a beautiful girl!!!

Sheba hates water, however, she was adopted from Animal Rescue Foundation when she was little, and the litter was found in a ditch, soaked. I have always wondered if she nearly drowned, because she is terrified of water. Nakita, you could do anything to. I think she would be a great therapy dog, and I'm going to check into this with her (I have a friend who trains them). She is just so sweet and loving. Kids and those with disabilities, really seem to love her. I'm going to get new pictures this week and post. My others are old, and they still have their winter coats right now, so they are at their most beautiful.

Naktia is home now and doing well. She was running around the backyard on Friday like nothing ever happened. She's still very picky about her food, and will eat mainly if I give it to her like treats. She goes back on Monday for a check-up and to have the catheter removed. (they left it in, just in case). We have truckload of meds that we're giving her to help support her liver function and antibiotics that we are treating in case this is lepto. The vet won't receive the results from the Lepto test until next week. I'm still not entirely convinced it's that, but who knows. I'm leaning more towards the mushroom theory, since we found one in the backyard.

Horsegal-thanks for the FYI on the lepto being contagious. I wasn't sure, but it's good to know. We were being careful anyway, because Hubby has been sick with a really bad respiratory cold for a couple of weeks.

The chicken jerky sounds awesome!! I'll try that. I'm heading to the pet store today to pick up some different flavors of dog food to tempt the finickies. They both left their food yesterday. They were so happy to see each other, that they played all day, then slept right next to one another. We may have to take both dogs with us to the vet on Monday, just to eliminate doggie panic.

Thank you guys for all of the jingles!!!

Christina
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

That's great news! Thanks for the update.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Thanks, Christina! She was a good egg. Sounds like your Nakita, very sweet and loving. She loved everybody. The neighbor kids would call her "White Fang" and were scared of her, but I showed them that had nothing to fear.

Poor Sheba, I bet you're right.

Glad to hear your girl is back home and doing well. Will continue to jingle for her and look forward to pics. They have the best coats don't they?
    A Merrick N Dream Farm

Unhappy We've had a bit of a set-back.

My husband took Nakita into the vet today to have the catheter removed and she had a seizure!

I'm just beside myself. She's at the vet's now for observation. Nakita had a fabulous weekend, bounding around the backyard, playing with Sheba, hyper, hyper, hyper. Completely back to her old self, even begging for treats.

We will hopefully have the Lepto titer results back today along with the bile acid test. They are going to recheck her liver enzymes today, just to see where we are at. I hope something conclusive comes back. Ughh.

Hubby and I are at a complete loss about what's wrong and just beside ourselves with worry. He had to help Nakita during her seizure, and is just so upset about the whole ordeal.

Hopefully, the vets can figure this out. In the meantime, Sheba is just so worried about her pal and confused about what is going on. Sheba would follow Nakita all over the backyard this weekend.

Thanks for all of the jingles and supportive words.

Christina
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Oh no, Christina!! Sorry to hear that! I hope they figure things out when the test results come back. Poor girl.

(((HUGS))) to you, your husband and Sheba.

JINGLING LIKE MAD!!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm

Sending get well wishes from TX.

Default Nakita's home

We brought Nakita home last night, and so far, so good.

She seems a little tired and maybe a little worn out from her ordeal. It's also pretty hot here right now for March (80's), so that may have a little to do with it too.

We are going to change the routine up a little bit with her food, and hopefully once she finishes the antibiotics, she'll be better. I guess, it's just wait and see. I was so hoping that she would be completely better after yesterday's visit, but we now know that's not the case, so the focus has become management instead. The vet seemed hopeful that the epilepsy may subside after her liver heals. The ultra-sound apparently did show a shunt, close to the liver that was small, and the vets feel that once the liver recovers, the shunt should close. We are still waiting for the lepto titers to come back, and the bile acid test results. I'm hopeful that we will receive those today.

I hated to leave her home today, unsupervised, but I have to work (especially now to pay off the vet bill). She didn't seem stressed or anxious this morning and Sheba is there with her too.

Hopefully, after a day or two of normal routine, she'll stabilize.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle