The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jingles needed for my pup--Update

My beautiful 5 yo Siberian Husky came down sick two days ago with a mysterious illness. She was bounding around the backyard, just hours before she became ill.

She's been at the vets since yesterday morning, and it's not looking great. Her liver enzymes are elevated, she has some signs of infection that she didn't yesterday and she won't eat or drink. Nakita has pain in her abdomen, and the xrays didn't show anything significant. I'm taking her in a little bit to a vet on referral for an ultra-sound of her liver and a liver biopsy. The vets and I are all at a loss, especially since my other dog isn't sick. They were literally romping around the backyard playing just a couple of hours before she became ill. Everything is pointing towards liver disease, but we just can't figure out the cause. The backyard has been scoured for all signs of dead animals, foreign objects, plants, etc. Nothing. I sent in soil samples and food samples (just to rule it out) yesterday, so we are waiting to see what those reveal. The vets seem to think that she injested a poison, but wouldn't the other dog be ill too? They eat the same food, drink the same water, and even share their kills.

This dog just means the world to me. She's just so sweet and caring, giving hugs and high-fives to anyone who is willing. They are great watch dogs in the sense that we always know when someone or something that is around that shouldn't be. Sheba is at such a loss without her best friend. She moped all night and stood at the gate all day, yesterday, waiting for her to come home.

Christina
    Last edited by Blkarab; Mar. 6, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Default No ideas but

I have not ideas or suggestions to help you but sending major jingles from KY! Here's hoping for a very positive outcome!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Could she have gotten into rat poison? That will make them very lethargic. Have them check her clotting time and pull a blood profile. Is her breathing rapid? The thin blood and lack of oxygenation can cause that -- get a profile and check for low hemaglobin and elevated white count. She would need Vitamin K and possibly an IV to keep her hydrated if she won't eat or drink -- also a symptom. Good luck!!
    PennyG

Any chance she ate anything with onions or garlic in it? It sounds rather like Hemolytic Anemia (HA).

Not all dogs get HA from ingesting onions or garlic. Some dogs have previously eaten them with no problem, but in a later instance, suddenly develop HA. That could account for your other dog not showing any symptoms (this time).

Or what about grapes or raisins? They can also cause severe liver failure.

Let us know how the dog is doing and what the vet says. Good luck!!

Any signs of a snake bite?
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Check for mushrooms, something similar happened to friend here in FL.

Jingles for your pup. Hope it turns out ok.

It could be she got into a toxin no one else did, or it could be that she's having an idiosyncratic reaction to something she ate, where some dogs are fine and some react quite severely. Was she on any other medication previously? The list of differentials is scary, and I don't want to mistakenly say something it might be that it isn't.

And for the record, raisins cause kidney failure, not liver failure. They cause acute renal failure, as does ingesting antifreeze.

Xylitol (sugarless chewing gum) causes acute liver failure.

Toxins causing acute liver failure include medications such as NSAIDs (ibuprofen, overdose of rimadyl/carprofen, tylenol), phenobarbital.
    Environmental things inclue mushrooms, aflatoxin (moldy corn or feed), cycad palm, sago palm.

Diseases include leptospirosis, hemangiosarcoma (which causes a big painful abdomen and happens almost exclusively to large breed dogs), and acute cholangiohepatits (i.e. gall bladder attack so severe it backs up into the liver). The abdominal ultrasound and biopsy would help tell if it's one of these things.

Good luck, I hope the vets can figure it out, and hang in there -- Sheba needs you to be strong. She sounds like a wonderful girl.

Please don't flame me for mentioning this, but I got an email today from a friend about Swifer products and liver failure in pets. I DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS TRUE OR NOT. Here it is:

Swiffer Wetjet
    THIS IS TRUE & VERIFIED ON SNOPES.COM
    Recently someone had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due
    to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they
    had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were
    unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got tothe Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals". He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients (actually, was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze). Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, thenlicking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.

Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on theirfloors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible sothey don't lose their animals. This is equally harmful to babies and small children that play on the floor a lot and put their fingers in their mouths a lot.

PLEASE, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE BABIES, SMALL CHILDREN OR OWN A PET; PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON! YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN OR PETS BUT SOME YOU HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY WITH PETS AND ALSO FAMILIES WITH GRANDCHILDREN AND GREAT GRANDCHILDREN
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Quote Originally Posted by CanterQueen View Post
    Please don't flame me for mentioning this, but I got an email today from a friend about Swifer products and liver failure in pets. I DO NOT KNOW IF IT IS TRUE OR NOT. Here it is:

Swiffer Wetjet
    unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got tothe Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated "may be harmful to small children and animals". He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients (actually, was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze). Therefore, just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, thenlicking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.

Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on theirfloors. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible sothey don't lose their animals. This is equally harmful to babies and small children that play on the floor a lot and put their fingers in their mouths a lot.

PLEASE, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE BABIES, SMALL CHILDREN OR OWN A PET; PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON! YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN OR PETS BUT SOME YOU HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY WITH PETS AND ALSO FAMILIES WITH GRANDCHILDREN AND GREAT GRANDCHILDREN
    This is NOT TRUE. I just looked it up on the VIN veterinary information network. RUMOR ONLY.

Swiffer Wetjet

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    This is NOT TRUE. I just looked it up on the VIN veterinary information network. RUMOR ONLY.
    Thanks. I was afraid of that!!! Sorry.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Thanks. I was afraid of that!!! Sorry.
    It's ok, I just don't want people freaking out unnecessarily! It was a rumor that started circa 2004, I believe. The toxicologists were all over it when it started. No need to worry

Jingles for your doggie!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Thanks everyone for the jingles and suggestions.

We did the ultrasound and the liver and all internal organs look great. So, her chances of recovery are looking better. Much better than I had initially thought. The x-rays came back negative as well.

The vets are just perplexed. The only organ affected is the liver. The enzymes were very high. They are running more tests today and she is on fluids and antibiotics. The vets ran blood tests for specific toxins (I'm not exactly sure which ones, but I know they checked for rat poison), so they have ruled that out. Usually when the dynamic duo decide to kill something, they usually don't eat it, especially rats. They will parade it around for us to see. Mice they will eat just a portion then leave the rest (sorry if this is too gross, it's just what they do). However, the mushroom is a distinct possibility. We haven't received the results of the soil samples or the pet food samples back yet. This has all been eerily similiar to what happened when I lost my cat in 2007 to the pet food recall. We had to put him to sleep, even before the recall was announced. The vets just didn't have any ideas what caused his illness, either. I'm more knowledgeable now, and know the signs, so we definitely got her in to the vet asap, and she has a chance.

The vet mentioned a parasite that can be harbored within the system for quite some time, that they can get from drinking stagnant water and it's passed by oppossum and raccoons. They have both been exposed to raccoons and oppossums, so it is a possibility. She's responding well to the treatment for that. Sorry, I don't know the name, I've had so much info thrown at me over the last 24 hrs, my head is spinning.

The good news is that yesterday, when I went and saw her, her eyes were brighter, and her appetite had returned. The vet hopes that Nakita will be able to go home either this afternoon or tomorrow, so keeping my fingers crossed that it will be today! I miss my sweet puppy and her friend does too. We have to take Sheba in today for shots, so we're going to have her visit her pal in the hospital. I know that will cheer miss Nakita up, big time!

Thank you all so very much for the jingles...they're working and have definitely made me feel much better.

Christina
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Thanks for the swifer suggestion and the good info that it is not toxic. I don't use one, just because my vacuum does a great job of sweeping the hard floors.

Good to know that it's not toxic to pets!

Christina
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    \
    The vet mentioned a parasite that can be harbored within the system for quite some time, that they can get from drinking stagnant water and it's passed by oppossum and raccoons. They have both been exposed to raccoons and oppossums, so it is a possibility. She's responding well to the treatment for that. Sorry, I don't know the name, I've had so much info thrown at me over the last 24 hrs, my head is spinning.

The good news is that yesterday, when I went and saw her, her eyes were brighter, and her appetite had returned. The vet hopes that Nakita will be able to go home either this afternoon or tomorrow, so keeping my fingers crossed that it will be today! I miss my sweet puppy and her friend does too. We have to take Sheba in today for shots, so we're going to have her visit her pal in the hospital. I know that will cheer miss Nakita up, big time!

Thank you all so very much for the jingles...they're working and have definitely made me feel much better.

Christina
    Leptospirosis is the bug? though technically a bacterium not a parasite -- I mentioned it in my post.
    I'm glad to hear she's doing well though, and Yes, seeing her buddy will cheer her up for sure! I hope the Lepto titers come back and give you something to treat...they seem to respond well to treatment!
    More jingles for you both!
    Last edited by Pancakes; Mar. 6, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

good news. continuing jingles for her recovery

We're sending jingles and so is Cash (our pup).
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Red face She's doing a bit better--she can go home tonight!!!

Thanks Pancakes, I believe the vet did say Lepto...they started treating her for it on Wednesday, after the CBC and the liver enzymes came back, just as a precaution, and she seems to be responding well to treatment. I may have been confused about the whole parasite/bacterium. So much info has been discussed in the last couple of days, I just can't keep it straight, and with Hubby sick too, I'm just worn out.

Hubby and I went by the vet clinic this am. They called and asked if I could come by and feed her as they were not having much luck. Typical picky Husky, if they don't want to eat, then they won't. She did finally decide that the vet treats tasted good, but was not interested in much else. We had a whole smorgasboard layed out, and she would only eat the bland dog treats. She's drinking plenty of water on her own. I'm going to check tonight and see about adding in electrolytes to her water when she gets home. She's keeping everything down, such a good sign and if she continues to keep it all down today, then she can go home tonight!

She seemed perkier and a little happier. She was so glad to see Sheba! We have both dogs there now, so I know that it will help a lot to have her buddy there today. Sheba was beside herself! Giving her friend kisses, barking at her to play. They are quite the pair and just the best dogs!

The vet is going to perform a bile acid test to make sure that the liver is still functioning well, and she has ordered in liver supporting supplements and we'll put her on a liver supportive diet until further notice. The whole clinic has just fallen in love with her, and pulling for her. Three vets have consulted on her condition and I think they have even involved the OSU vet school.

It has just been the strangest thing. One minute to have a perfectly happy and healthy pup, then the next to have her on her death bed. I wish we could rule out exactly what caused this, but just too many variables. If it is in fact, lepto, we are still not certain where she would have picked it up. We just don't know. Hubby did find a mushroom/toadstool in the backyard this am, that looked to be a couple of days old, so maybe that's it? It didn't appear to have been eaten, but who's to say that she didn't lick it, and decide it didn't taste well, and it was just enough to make her sick. I've pretty much ruled out a snake bite, as I believe we would have seen other evidence like a bite mark, or abscess to go along with it. Besides, it's been too cold for snakes until just a day or two ago. It was frigid here the first part of the week. However, that is something, we are going to have to be on the watch for at our new house when the weather warms up.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you guys so much for all the jingles.

Christina
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPHILE View Post
    We're sending jingles and so is Cash (our pup).
    Thanks HydroPHILE and Cash!
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle