The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Non-poll poll: Woof EXO vest at lower levels

Okay, I've been thinking a lot about this lately, especially with the currency rates between the pound and dollar being decent again.

If you rode below the Prelim (or even Training) level and had the money/desire to buy an EXO vest, would you?

I feel like the weight and "extra" protection the EXO provides might be overkill for someone going, say, Novice. (Statistically speaking, the chance of a rotational fall is supposedly less at the lower levels... but not 0%.)

On the other hand, I'd hate to be the 9,999th person out of 10,000 that has the misfortune of a rotational fall over a simple 2' log and the added misfortune of landing right under my horse... as improbable as it may seem.

I don't really want to open a can of worms and turn the discussion to rotational falls due to rider readiness, horse fitness, footing, El Nino, yadda yadda yadda, but the question is simple: Would you or wouldn't you?
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I would.

When it comes to safety equipment, so long as it has been tested and proven to WORK (which the EXO has), I think it's better to ask, "Why not?"
    Proud member of the EDRF

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Buy it if you can afford it and you are comfortable with it.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I wear mine at BN

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Buy it if you can afford it and you are comfortable with it.
    (this is stated 2nd hand from my friend who just bought one)

This is a biggy: If you are not used to a Beta 3 then the EXO will whoop up on you.

They only fit certain structures and are not easy to get into. In fact, Rayers and Gnep had to alter theirs so I've been told. And apparently there is a claim on the vest that if it is altered in any way you're on your own and the company is not liable. They also have a little pouch on the side with instructions for the EMTs. The EMT has to know to open the pouch, read the instructions, and cut out the little wrenches that are included to get it off of you.

So no, I would not think it worth it. But that is just MO.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I might, BUT I would have to try it on first and see how I felt about the 8-pound weight and the fit. I actually think the 8-pound weight could be an asset to the fit--most BETA 3 vests ride up around my shoulders due to my waist curvature, and if the vest was sufficiently heavy, it might ameliorate that effect.

For reference, I currently ride in a Casel-Equi because it's the only thing on the market that I can find to accommodate my short torso and high, curvy waist.

i wouldn't. i think they are a good product, my friend has one, but she did have to spend some time getting riding in it, because when you only weigh around 115 pounds (like both of us do) it can put your balance off a bit. she actually worked out in it as well, which helped.
    for me, i just can't quite force myself to spend to money on it, although I compete at Interm. and Prelim.
    but if you have the money, and it makes you comfortable, go for it!

I would.

If funds permit & the EXO fits me, I'd certainly invest in one. I'm committed to wearing as safe equipment as I can.

I have a new Beta 3. I was lucky to find it on sale, but was thrilled to have an approved vest.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

And your opinion is very valid indeed Kristen. I've heard complaints that those women who are well endowed have all sorts of difficulty with the product. Perhaps they will refine the design into something more friendly for those who could benefit from it but cannot wear it comfortably. From my own POV, it does not appear to be very difficult to remove if you are familiar with the procedure but I can see how someone with no knowledge about the design would have to read the instructions and possibly flub under pressure. I think that if I were someone that would have to deal with removing the vest, I would replace the Allen key with something less awkward and faster/easier to use.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    (this is stated 2nd hand from my friend who just bought one)

This is a biggy: If you are not used to a Beta 3 then the EXO will whoop up on you.

They only fit certain structures and are not easy to get into. In fact, Rayers and Gnep had to alter theirs so I've been told. And apparently there is a claim on the vest that if it is altered in any way you're on your own and the company is not liable. They also have a little pouch on the side with instructions for the EMTs. The EMT has to know to open the pouch, read the instructions, and cut out the little wrenches that are included to get it off of you.

So no, I would not think it worth it. But that is just MO.
    I REALLY REALLY want one and can make the funds available for it, as I need a new vest, but I am concerned with how it fits. I am large chested and am curious how it would fit me.

Purp- do you know if anyone here in TX carries them to try on or am I going to have to order from BOB and ship back and forth to get the sizing right and then order from the UK?

Cuonxc- how does it fit you? Were you able to try it on before you bought it?
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Hell, there are days I need to wear mine around the house.

Yes, in general if you are Kate Moss, the EXOs fit great. If at any time you were a lifter or developed an upper body, then it gets tough.

You CAN modify the vest without liability. The hinges and latches are made to slide to you can adjust the fit to a point. Then you run into guys like me and Gnep. There was some machining necessary. Luckly, I have access to a magnesium casting furnace so I can make new parts, if needed.

My vest became a design problem for a bunch of grad students but it fits great now!!

Reed

So how did you contain the wild beast that is Gnep? Weld steel plates onto the thing?

Remember that the body cage is designed not to bend when a horse falls on you. So it won't bend to fit your body, if you are not the body shape it was designed for. However, if you are planning to have your horse fall on you it's the only vest that offers any protection.

It all depends on your risk awareness and aversion.

In my case the question doesn't arise, because:
    1. they don't make one big enough to fit me.
    2. I don't compete at the levels at which most rotational falls occur.
    3. my horse is much heavier than was assumed in their tests, so the vest would have a higher risk of failure.
    Your mileage may vary.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

I wear one and I ride training in my dreams!

I am 100lbs soaking wet and I don't notice the weight. Despite being well over the age of majority my parents bought me one as soon as they heard about it, so I wear it. I'm an EMT and I do volunteer at events, and I know to look for the keys.

I hope the cost comes down so more people can wear them, and demand will increase for more sizing options.

Quote Originally Posted by tx3dayeventer View Post
    '

Cuonxc- how does it fit you? Were you able to try it on before you bought it?
    Mine fits great but I am not that well endowed (read I shop in the training bra section at Walmart!)

I did not get to try it on....I worked with Button Saddlery in the UK and gave them measurements...and luckily the vest fit perfectly.

So how did you contain the wild beast that is Gnep? Weld steel plates onto the thing?

To answer the question though, if it was at all humanly possible to fit and I could afford it, I would do it without a doubt. I'm not riding at the moment so I don't have to worry, but were I to start competing, I would absolutely invest in one.

Lex, you suck as a metallurgist. EVERYONE knows you can't weld steel to magnesium. It oxidizes like crazy in the arc. Boy, my opinion of you just dropped. We both ended up notching the slides. I then locked the latches and hinges to the frame to keep the rigidity for the compessive forces from a horse landing on you. I think Gnep had problems with burrs in the catch for the latch so he had to mill those off.

Lex, The Nutty Woman and the Ugly Bitch take care of that.

I pump every morning iron, but am not realy heavy, so I had in the beginning a little problem with the latches, after aligning them they closed nicely, I did a few other adjustments at the latches. It is a snug fit for me, I have a little rubbing were I broke my ribs a few years ago ( got rold over by a stupid TB ) and they are not 100% aligned.
    When the foam is warm the vest closes better.
    Geting used to it, well, I put mine on when I put new trusses on my addition and than the next day when I had to load hay, 350 bails. After that I did not feel the vest at all and only remebert when I did not fit into my truck cab.
    Oh, one more advantage, if you have a XXXL Bomber Jacket und you put it over the vest and go into a real hardcore biker bar, with girly pants and hooker boots on, you look so impresive, that you get a chair at bar and can flirt with the girls without any problems, and that is priceless.
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

For the gals out there, try an Enell Last Resort bra if you haven't yet, to try to flatten into a vest-containable shape. Kind of like a girdle for "the girls."

Guys, you're on your own for this one. I don't think there's a sports "bro" yet.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Is the fall less severe at lower levels - I think not!