The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    OP is not a troll, we have not heard from her for awhile but she never made up any tall tales before. Has taken contructive criticism well and has been here a couple of years on and off.

DJ, hang in there. And you may want to take up Western if that is what is most available in your area-and I know you are rural midwest. give you something to think about.

This would also be a good time to catch up on some reading and maybe some good videos/dvds. If somebody wants to get you something, make up a list of horse videos you want and where they can be obtained.

Stay busy. Use the down time to learn more. You are young and will live to ride again.
    The OP is not a troll. I know that.

OW! Horrible memories...I broke my leg + ankle + foot (killed my horse too while doing it).

The leg was basically not a problem with riding...just time for it to heal. The ankle and foot were the problem. The ankle never got all it's pronation back, so I could still ride OK, the ankle just didn't bend well.

Years later now, no leg problem, but the foot/ankle will get me limping all of a sudden whenever they feel like it...plus I've not been able to go faster than a gimpy slow trot on my own feet since the accident...that kinda' sucks.

My best advice...take your time, let yourself heal correctly and get some good sports-based physical therapy...it all hurts, might as well hurt for a good reason.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs View Post
    Don't feed the troll.
    Who exactly are you calling a troll? Both Laurierace and DJ are well known long standing members of this board.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Don't feed the troll.
    Huh?

Both Laurierace & the OP are longtime members here.
    What smelled like troll to you?
    Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Mar. 5, 2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: to add: DJ: Get Well ASAP!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Poor thing! I hope you heal well, if I were closer I'd lend you my mare to drive while you're injured.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I broke both ankles about four years ago and have some hardware (thought nothign like yours) in both. I couldn't ride for five months and couldn't even walk at all for 3 months. It was amazing how fast it came back, thought it was a good 6 months before I started feeling normal again. It just feels so stiff and uncomfortable, but I didn't have any real pain when riding

The biggest thing I had to get over was my fear of falling off. Granted, I hurt myself falling in the first place, but your legs will feel really weak - like they'll snap again if you land to hard. It took a couple falls before I stopped worrying and being anxious.

Good luck to you for a quick recovery - at least your starting to get on your feet a bit.

Don't feed the troll.

You've called people trolls, who are obviously not trolls, on several different threads. Are you the troll?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I have seen jockey break just about every bone you can possibly break and come back to ride so it is possible. They tend to have a higher pain tolerance/lack of self preservation instinct than the rest of the planet so your recovery might take a little longer but hopefully you will get there in time.
    I must admit as a new EMT my first thought was I wish I was there to splint you up! We hardly ever get "good" calls like that!
    EMS actually called the day after and talked to my mom. He said I was the first ever patient that he has seen with this bad of breaks and who was not screaming in pain. I was never in bad pain most likely because of shock. I just remember looking down and seeing both legs dangling...it was a weird feeling. Once in the ambulance I was actually joking around with the EMT's about how it was my first time in an ambulance. I will say though the worst part was being left on the stretcher board for 4 hours with rubber splints and no access to water. My mom thought I was going to kill someone.

I am in PT three days a week with a real good therapist and am improving and getting my strength back.

Kimberlee, what is this alphabet exercise? I am most worried about my ankles as I lost a bunch of movement in them.

I did upload pictures of the truck after the wreck and two X-rays.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=643181325

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...7&id=643181325

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=643181325

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d&id=643181325

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5&id=643181325
    -Lindsey

Holy...OUCH!!! I can't imagine!! Thank goodness you're okay - it must be hard looking at those photos of the truck.

I'm guessing the alphabet exercise is pretending to spell out the alphabet with your toes, moving your ankles around - I did that in PT after I broke my ankles.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPonies View Post
    Holy...OUCH!!! I can't imagine!! Thank goodness you're okay - it must be hard looking at those photos of the truck.

I'm guessing the alphabet exercise is pretending to spell out the alphabet with your toes, moving your ankles around - I did that in PT after I broke my ankles.

Yes, that's exactly what the Alphabet excersise is.
    It also helps to reduce swelling..especially when you MUST elevate your foot higher than your heart.

Please, try to find an Ortho who rides.
    I got very, very lucky in the long run.

Because my break occurred right before the Holiday, and the Hospital told me to wait 5 days before seeing a Doctor, all the Ortho's on their recommended list had already closed their offices due to Holiday Travel Plans.

I sat in front of the computer with my Insurance Plan's list of providers and just started making calls.

By the 3rd call that informed me the Dr. is OUT, I stumbled on my New Best Friend.

He rode Jumpers with a VBNT, and knew precisely what I needed to be able to do, NOW to get back in the saddle later.

Crutches went bye-bye, as they were causing me way too much pain in my upper body, so he put me into a walking brace/boot that allowed me to stand upright and put the foot on the floor and bear weight without torqing it. It did cause me to walk with High-Knee action, but at least my weight and balance was distributed on both feet, NOT dependant on my shoulders, pelvis, and upper arms
    After 5 days of crawling, butt-scooting and all possible forms of alternative self-transport I realized how much we take for granted when we just walk.
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    Who exactly are you calling a troll? Both Laurierace and DJ are well known long standing members of this board.

But DJ *is* a known troll/trouble maker.

Not saying she's making *this* up, but the assumption that she *is* should show those who *do* pull crap how it messes up your reputation. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Just do what the PT people and the doctor tell you. You start screwing around and "trying" things and you can set back your recovery. They are the grown-up, paid professionals with the fancy degrees on the wall. Those don't come out of a Lucky Charms box for a reason.

Ok, I should *not* have looked at the x-rays. The tib-fib is just plain scary.

I am the troll he is referencing apparently. He and I don't see eye to eye, leave it at that for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post

Not saying she's making *this* up, but the assumption that she *is* should show those who *do* pull crap how it messes up your reputation. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Just do what the PT people and the doctor tell you. You start screwing around and "trying" things and you can set back your recovery. They are the grown-up, paid professionals with the fancy degrees on the wall. Those don't come out of a Lucky Charms box for a reason.
    How interesting you would reference professionals and degrees and where they don't come from. That gives you a little clue to our differences that a quick search of this very forum would make crystal clear.

I am having a hard time picturing the creating letters with my toes...is this done using both feet? ha.

My ortho is actually one of the best in the area, something I value over riding experience. He had me walking 2 days after surgery which is pretty amazing.

I will say that it is a miracle that I am alive today, I was being the normal "invincible" teen and sitting in the center of the front of the truck with no seatbelt. Not something I am proud to share but I hope what happened to me will cause other teens or even adults to think. The truck I was in struck a tree head on going 60 mph. I definetly believe I am here for a reason now.

On an interesting note--Because the fibula is not a weight baring bone, it is not secured with a rod like the tibia. It just "floats" till it will heal on its own. Soon after the surgery I could use my hand and move the bone...very weird feeling!

I think me and my family are debating about selling Sheza, my Saddlebred mare very soon since I won't be riding her for quiet awhile and unfortunatly my mom is losing her job because of this economy so the less horse expenses the better.

Texas might be free leased to a friend who needs a horse to ride. While I would miss being able to see him I would love for him to have a job again.

So while this is a horrible thing to have happened...everything is working out and I believe this will just make me stronger in the long run.

Thanks everyone for the best wishes.
    -Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post

No, she's really not. And even if she is, WHY would you do anything but express sympathy or keep your keyboard put away when she has an injury of this magnitude? Being in the medical profession now myself, I'm not terribly impressed with all of your "grown-up paid professionals with the fancy degrees on the wall".....

DJ, WOW those x-rays look impressive! Please just keep your hopes up, and don't hesitate to talk to a therapist or someone just to help you cope with your injuries, inability to ride, and all the frustration that is most likely causing you. I feel confident that you'll ride again, just keep telling your therapists and doctors exactly what positions and muscles you need to be able to get into and use, and maybe see if you can join a water aerobics class when your doctors say it's okay. That helped me out a LOT after my surgeries.
    Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Default Been there!!

Wow your tib/fib xray looks frighteningly like mine did when I did it in high school. I chose to not have the rods put in and was casted and on crutches for ~10 months... it sucked big time!! I still definitely have issues because of it but it's not pain at the fracture site or anything like that. My tibia healed 12 degrees off so that's mostly the reason for my issues. My biggest problem is the decreased flexibility in my ankle and some issues with my knee. For the life of me I can't get my right heel down to save my life. I feel like its to the floor until my trainer says that it's barely level! ha! I personally hated PT and stopped going to rehab it myself. Maybe if I stayed with it I would have better flexibility, maybe not. Just take your time with rehab and learn how to safely push yourself and you'll be surprised at how quickly things come back.

Congrats on all your progess so far! I ride almost everyday and while I have some issues riding as well as playing other sports it certainly doesn't keep me from doing anything. I just have to deal with the minor issues as they come up!

Follow the directions of the Dr.s and in time it will be over with.
    We all have learning experiences and I think you have had one of your own.
    If you have a permanent part of this injury there are lots of ways to keep riding.
    Some snicker at Sidesaddle riding but I have several clients and friends who can not ride any other way. One jumps and one does do dressage. Others are just pleasure riders but can not ride astride a horse.
    Where there is a will there is a way.
    With so many styles of Sidesaddle available these days you can almost do anything in a sidesaddle. But for now just concentrate on getting healed and follow the PT's directions.
    You sound like a young person so you will probably heal alright.
    My best wishes and hope you can still keep your horses.
    Regards, L.

Yikes DJ!!!

You've received lots of good advice here. Please listen to it. It will take time, but you'll heal. A dear friend of mine had both legs broken when she tried to slip past a horse in a standing stall and was nailed and stomped. Re-hab was a long time, but she returned to a successful jr career in the show ring.

Jingles for a speedy recovery!
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

All I can say is OW...and double OW. Those xrays were scarey. Was the bone poking out of leg?

And don't feel bad about being a invincible teenager, we all go through that stage of life. When we mess up, it just teaches us life lessons.