The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Does your age (older) ever stop you from purchasing (Update - He's mine! Pics! pg4)

So I have almost made up my mind to purchase another. Well...adopt one actually. I will fill in the details later on (for those of my BB pals who have read my previous posts ). It is through an off the track organization so I don't want to really talk about it publicly yet.

He is 5. I am 37. So that means, when he is 30, I will be....ummm...67.

So I think about that...a lot...because I am a keep-them-forever kind of gal. It almost seems a little overwhelming.

Has anyone else went through this? With Lou, she was already mine and I was ready to do the next 15 years without a hitch....and I bought her when I was 29, so I was still thinking that I was "so young". But a new one makes me kinda...I dunno...nervous.

Any advice out there?
    Last edited by LouLove; Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Update Post
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    LouLove - OTTB - 1992-2008...miss you my pretty red girl...
    Wilde! NEW - OTTSTB - 2004 Gelding...my heart's new journey...

Ummmm....buy it anyway and worry about that in 30 years????

Yup, I find it very scary that at 53 I am now the proud owner of an 8 year old and a 5 year old. I'm praying that at some point 20 year old DD will take the younger one off my hands, expecially as I selected him for her and I do tend towards keeping them for life! DH warns that I will never be able to retire.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Bought a 5 yr old when I was 50. I just figure it gives me a hunt horse until I'm 65.

OP: I wouldn't worry. By the time your horse would be older, your life will be different, and you will have plenty of time for contingency planning. I thought, when I read the title, that you were 60 and getting a 3 year old. No worries. (I'm 44, w/ a 7 year old.)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Default I knew you guys would make me feel better

You all rock - very much.
    Last edited by LouLove; Mar. 4, 2009 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    LouLove - OTTB - 1992-2008...miss you my pretty red girl...
    Wilde! NEW - OTTSTB - 2004 Gelding...my heart's new journey...

I bought a weanling when I was 49.
    Last edited by Janet; Mar. 4, 2009 at 04:26 PM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I bought an unstarted 2.5 year old Ara/App when I was....62. I'm almost 64. Still among the living. It's been interesting. He's about 16.2 and still growing/filling out. Going to a show - first for this year - third in his life - and doing Intro 2 on Sunday, at about 8:00 A.M., which means getting up at 5:00 A.M. Groooaaaaannnn......

Default Do it-- you both will benefit

You are not to old to adopt a baby/project at 37!

You will also not be too old to ride your finished horse.

Plan as best you can for his/her retirement (as it sounds like you already do for your horses), and you will have at least one more great relationship with a horse.

Who knows? This horse may help you stay young later on!

Please. You're 37. As Jill Conner Browne would say, at your age you are still a larva.

I bought a recently gelded rising 4 yr old for my first horse, when I was 40. What the heck - I did worse at picking my first three husbands. We live and learn.

But I digress.
    Bought a 5 yr old when I was 50. I just figure it gives me a hunt horse until I'm 65.
    Elghund2, you made my day.

Talking your just a sprout yet!

Currently 47 and adopted my first "wild one" in 2007. She's 2 this summer...and also have a 2 yr rescue, a 4 yr a 5 yr and a 6 yr (greenbroke)...my tried and true 13 yr trail horse and a gentled but never really started under saddle 11 yr mustang mare =)
    I'm gonna fill the arena with pillows this summer (just in case ) cause my goal is get 2 started and 1 restarted!!

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    Please. You're 37. As Jill Conner Browne would say, at your age you are still a larva.

LOL.

Yes, I think when you ARE 65 things may look a bit different to you.

For sure, take the horse. Maybe start him a little "college fund" and put away a few dollars a month in a special account to take care of him should you pass away untimely.

I guess you can't name a horse a beneficiary of life insurance.
    Last edited by MelantheLLC; Mar. 4, 2009 at 05:46 PM.

Take the horse, and when you are 60 years old you will have the most awesome dead-broke trail horse to pal around on !
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

If Baby Belgian lives as long as His Greyness, I will be 87 at that point. I just hope Baby Belgian's thoroughbred paranoia will have subsided by then.

What was the question?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    But all the finest horsemen out—the men to Beat the Band—
    You’ll find amongst the crowd that ride their races in the Stand

I bought a yearling when I was 60! He's coming 3 and I will be backing him in late summer or fall. Should be interesting!

Bought my "last horse" Dec 07. I will be 50 when I get to start riding him.
    I too did think , gee just buried my 32 yr old mare. If this guy lives that long he may just outlive me.
    No worries though, cross that bridge when you come to it.

Oh you younguns'. I have friends riding in their 70's. I'm still the kid at 55. My friend, same age, just bought a 2 year old for me to break. I don't plan on hanging up my spurs anytime soon. 39? You got plenty of time!
    Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    LOL.

Yes, I think when you ARE 65 things may look a bit different to you.

For sure, take the horse. Maybe start him a little "college fun" and put away a few dollars a month in a special account to take care of him should you pass away untimely.

I guess you can't name a horse a beneficiary of life insurance.
    I am "coming 62" in a few months, so ditto that, and yes you surely CAN name a horse as a beneficiary. I have all four of my horses named as the beneficiaries of a 40K policy.

That way if I want to change their caregiver, I will do it in my Will, it's much easier than changing the beneficiary on the insurance policy.

When I called the insurance company to ask that question, I was surprised that I only got about 10 seconds of silence on the other end, and then she said she had to check to be sure but thought I could.

When we wrote all this into our Will, the attorney never bat an eye because I live in horse country. His comment was that my request was nothing compared to some others he's had to write into Wills

To answer the OP's original question, yes I do think about outliving them. My four range in age from 12-1/2 to 23, so I think I can make it.

This is my second crew of Keeper Horses in my lifetime. There will be no replacements when this last crew of Keeper Horses starts crossing over.

I think that sometimes. I am 52. But the thing is that alot can happen in 30 years. Up until last year my Abi was going to be my terminal horse. She was 8 when she had to be euthanized. So then I decided that Andy who is 13 would be my terminal horse. He had emergency colic surgery on Friday night. So.... I am not so worried about 30 years from now any more. We just go one day at a time.

I think it is admirable for you to worry, just shows you are a true horse owner.

Certainly one option would be to set aside money for a fund that could pay for a retirement endowment at one of the TB sanctuaries.
    Maybe you and a friend could draw up an agreement to be each other's horse guardian, in case of death or emergency?
    And certainly you can make a horse a beneficiary of a will or insurance with an (human) executor. Leona Helmsley did it, left her dog millions - or was it billions?