The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You could even call her "Keeper".....because of her origin, and, well....tack has keepers on it too, right?
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

oh YAY! I was quite worried the little one might have distemper or something awful. YAY!

What a fabulous thread. Suckers, all, aren't we? I've come home with two from work 'accidentally' that were found in traffic... and my last barn kitty and the current pair were from the kill shelter.

Sid had a sign on his cage that said "euthanase or neuter after Susan has viewed"

Needless to say he got neutered and came to Flodden Edge
    Awww.... That was deliberate, of course. Your vet KNOWS you.

Nothing really to add, I love "Keeper" as a name. I just love the stories here. I might have to save this thread for bad-day-reading-to-make-me-smile.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

So hubby took pictures last night and they didn't turn out, but I promise some today. I really think that she was a house cat because she spent dinner time tying to break into the house. Because she was given the all clear by the vet DH won't let her stay inside he's too allergic.

As for a name... I think I'm going to call her Polly. When I hold her she wants to sit on my shoulder like a parrot! She is very charming

Quote Originally Posted by Carrera View Post
    So hubby took pictures last night and they didn't turn out, but I promise some today. I really think that she was a house cat because she spent dinner time tying to break into the house. Because she was given the all clear by the vet DH won't let her stay inside he's too allergic.

As for a name... I think I'm going to call her Polly. When I hold her she wants to sit on my shoulder like a parrot! She is very charming
    Awwwwwwweeeeeee! My current barn kitten does that. I've been calling her Ethel .

One of mine accompanies me when I do riding lessons. At the end of a busy day when he gets tired he hangs round my neck and over my shoulders like a fur stole!

Polly and your father are so cute together! You've found a real gem. Best wishes for many, many happy, snuggly years together.

nice to see i'm not the only sucker! and it's not just 1, but 4out of my 5!

#1 was found in the barn aisle, no mom to be found, the vet estimated him to be all of 2 days old, eyes weren't even open yet. he's going to be 8 in june.

#2 was dumped at 4 weeks or so in the back seat of a friend's car, (parked at the grocery store) along with his littermates. he just turned 5

#3 had been dumped at a friend's barn, was doing fine there, but she 'adopted' me, and i basically got sick of tripping over her all day while i was here, so i brought her home.

#4 & 5 i found in the middle of the road at 4:30 am this past october, no momma cat to be found, no nearby houses or farms. i guessed them to be about 8 weeks old. they are adorable, and once they start purring, i can't hear anything else!

I met the feline love of my life while training in Germany - he was laying in the road and I thought he was dead - still went to investigate and poked him - he started to purr !!! Off we went to the vet's. This was not a kitten, he was an older, very, very sick cat. He did recover and went on to accompany us (the horses, dogs and I) throughout Germany, back to the US, then from TN to TX, back to KY and finally to my farm in SC, always snuggled up against the greyhounds.

While in TX, I pulled off the road to let the dogs out - after they were done, I took JJ out of the car and he followed my voice and also did his 'business'. While we were walking, a road grater came by. The driver almost fell out of the cab when he saw the cat walking next to me - too funny !

JJ was the first of a number of cats, but he was by far the most special one which ever owned me.
    Perfection is not attainable, but when we chase perfection, we can catch excellence - Vince Lombardi

www.thehomestedt.com

On May 1, 1990, I heard a loud wailing as I approached the barn. The source was a tiny kitten, no bigger than my thumb. She still had an umbilical cord, and was estimated at a day old.

We bottle fed her without much hope of success, but she had determination, and pulled through, in spite of several set backs. She was the runt of the litter and is quite small.

Annie will be 19 soon, and has mild kidney problems which are kept under control by sub cu fluids.

There is no question that she is the ruler of the house, and especially the bedroom. All she has to do is LOOK at the dogs (they are BIG dogs) and they move away.

But most importantly, she gave her seal of approval to my husband, Tim, the first time he came to the house.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Polly and your father are so cute together! You've found a real gem. Best wishes for many, many happy, snuggly years together.
    I was looking at those LOLing..so your dad has a cat!

ALL of ours have "adopted" us, except one of my indoors (the other is one of our barn kittens who just was not meant to be a barn cat.) We've had...eleven, of which Mom and Dad still have four (including Kitty #1, who's eight) and I have one. I swear somewhere at my parents' is a tiny kitty hobo sign that means "Soft Touches Live Here."

Well today my DH decided that it would be too mean to let poor Polly live in the barn in the rain.

So she is sitting on my shoulder right now purring her little heart out. Yep...IN the house! DH is too much of a softy to let her be outside in the rain with a cold... Gotta love him

He even went out to get kitty litter for her!

Good thing the kitty only had a runny nose. Seriously, there are pretty horrible diseases that are very contagious that strays tend to have.

Oh! She looks like a little love-bug! Congratulations on your new family member!!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Ok new question....

How does one deal with a deaf cat? Or how does one test for deafness?

I just had all the flooring replaced in the house and Polly didn't bat an eye when the air compressor went off... nothing...

All she wanted to do is snuggle up with the installers!

What a beautiful cat she is!! Those pictures with your dad are way too cute
    -Jessica

So happy to hear she found you.

Add me to the list to lost kittens.Ours found me at a festival with 500 people. She kept coming up to me and wrapping herself around my ankles. She weigh 2 lbs and was very pregnant, truly was all fur and bones and a kitten herself .I bought her home and gave her a bath with dawn to get ready of the fleas and gave her a birthing suite in our guest bedroom with a basket for her kittens.Feed her as much as I could hoping to get some fat on those skinny bones before kittens arrived. Two days later she had 6 kittens very quietly on the oriental rug.She also had respiratory infection and passed on to two of the kittens who at 2 weeks old I had to put down. Mom and the 4 kittens did great even when vet said I would lose everyone with the infection including Mom.It was 24/7 care for 4 weeks and they survived. We kept the Mom and one kitten and the 3 others were placed in wonderful homes also. Happy to say two years later Mom weighs 8 lbs and her son is 10 lbs .I'm their servant and they live well.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrera View Post
    Ok new question....

How does one deal with a deaf cat? Or how does one test for deafness?

I just had all the flooring replaced in the house and Polly didn't bat an eye when the air compressor went off... nothing...
    :
    You may have to find her an indoor home if she is deaf. As for testing, she have someone make loud noises behind her and see if she reacts, but I know I always jump if I dont know an air compressor is going off.

How to test her hearing? Rattle the bag of kitty crunchies.

I love the pics - she looks like a sweet heart
    proud owner of a crazy dutch warmblood

Wink ...

Quote Originally Posted by lesson junkie View Post
    How to test her hearing? Rattle the bag of kitty crunchies.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

Brilliant !!!

Yours in sport,

Lynn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
    Suerte Hostage Crisis Survivor
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~