The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I took in two little ones when they were dumped into a dumpster (by mom, or human...don't know). They were about 3 weeks old....VERY sick and skinny. I bottle fed them every 2 hours for the first week and until I could convince them to lap the formula from a bowl. I employed one of my dogs for grooming! Grizzly Bear is now 8 months old and my love bug....Unfortunatly, his little sister Koala Bear passed away at 14 weeks. She was always tiny, and vet thinks that something was wrong internaly that we could not have corrected. Grizzy is my little love and one of the best kittens ever. If I had taken him to the shleter, he would have been tossed out with the trash that very day.

Here is a before and after of Grizz....my little grey kitten

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...2&id=735246878 - after, at 7 months
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...8&id=735246878 - Before with his little sister

If the kitten gets crusty eyes...make sure to clean them with a hot, damp rag...don't scrub, just hold it there for a few secconds till the crud comes off...same thing for its nose. If you have any Neo Poly bac (opthalmic and NON steroid) for the horses...you could use that for kittens eyes to keep them moisturized. Also, NO milk products. If the kitten wont eat dry food, try soaking it in a bit of hot water. Or you can sprinkle a bit of kitten formula over it to tempt kitten. I agree that I would try and isolate her from your other kitties. Although, if you cats are UTD on their vaccinations, they should be fairly well protected...except for FIP, FIV, and Feluk (the last two can be vaccinated against, but its not as common). As long as she stays warm, and her tummy is full, she should do OK. Make sure she's drinking though. You could also put a hot water bottle in her bed to give her something to snuggle with. Kinda like mom. I always put a stuffed animal in there too.

THANK YOU for taking her in! and THANK YOU for NOT taking her to the shelter.....she would most likely be euthanized there due to her being sickly. Welcome to the bleeding heart club! The ones that adopt you are often the best ones.

GOOD LUCK! keep us posted!

Johanna
    Last edited by QHEventr; Mar. 5, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: adding photo link
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

We had a sick kitten dropped in our front yard on Christmas Eve 11 years ago. She has always appeared to me to be brain damaged but she is also my most loyal cat. Perhaps there is a connection. I can't advise on its illness.

Found a little tortie kitten in the middle of a road one cold rainy night. We were leaving my husband's uncles house in Dillon and she was just sitting there in the headlights and wouldn't move. I got out and picked her up and discovered her little eyes were sealed shut with crust. I brought her back to the truck and wrapped her in a shirt and dried her in front of the heater. Poor thing was scrawny, sick and half dead, but she snuggled up to me and purred.
    Took her to my Mom's house and cleaned her up, and promptly called my aunt down the road, who had just lost her beloved old dog. She came up to the house and I said "Here, she needs you!" My aunt took her in the next day, and after some antibiotics and other stuff she perked up. She did turn out to be blind in one eye from being sick, but she is the sweetest little kitty. My aunt calls her Mary Dill (she's a bit eccentric) and that little kitty is her best friend.
    Little homeless kittens are the best! I've taken in several over the years, and they have been the best barn cats. They've all passed on now, but each one is still special to me.
    Hope your little grey gets better and thrives!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    Hubby sounds like me...... I swear I've got "MUG" tattooed on my forehead!
    too funny! my husband swears he has "sucker" on his forehead and only strays can see it.
    we were leaving a h.s. football game with about 300 other people when my dh stops and says "do you hear that?"
    dh climbs down into a ravine, comes back covered in mud holding the tiniest little kitten in his palm. bloody and covered in burrs, we brought him home. dh took him to the vet the next day and 300.00 later we have a black cat who dh names luke bc "the force is stong with this one".
    luke now weighs 19 lbs(and is always on a diet) and is very sure that we were the lucky ones.
    good for you for helping this little one. keep us posted.

Default Awww!

These sick kitten stories are heartbreaking but also so hopeful that they were found. My sick kitty used to have nightmares (saw mom and siblings get hit by a car but was also starving so who knows what he dreamed). When he was little he used to sleep in the crook of my arm. He'd start whimpering and twitching in his sleep which would wake me up. When I'd start to pet him, he'd wake up and purr his little heart out and then eventually purr himself back to sleep. When he got older and I would have trouble sleeping, he would curl up against me and purr ME to sleep. Man I miss that cat!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I am so very, very glad that there are so many people like the posters in this thread....every single one of you ROCKS.
    If anybody has a weak or too-young-for-solids kitteh, KMR is incredible stuff. It isn't the cheapest thing around, but dang, it WORKS. I had great experience with the powdered version, and it does come in ready-to-serve as well.
    http://www.petco.com/product/5863/Pe...l-Animals.aspx
    A heating pad is also a wonderful thing for little ones who are too small to keep themselves warm.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Good for you for being this little kitty's angel There are way too many cats in the animal shelters...

I took in a stray skinny cat recently and he seemed sickly to me - he had to be put down a week or so later with kidney failure.

I do think it is smart to keep it separated from your other cats until the vet visit though, before it's tested for diseases. The stray might be fine, but you never know, and it's not worth the risk to your other cats.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Awww, another heartwarming thread. I hope the kitty gets well! Did you name her yet?

I've got 5 kitties and 2 of them came to me in similar ways as yours. Little Oscar was literally thrown out of a car onto our driveway (has the scars from the embedded tar to prove it) and was starving and filthy to boot. Took us 3 days to catch him and we were frantic that he would not make it.
    Before of Oscar:
    http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=100_0131.jpg

later and now:
    http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=1f9f3854.jpg
    http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=IMG_2251.jpg

Here's our newest edition, Peaches:
    http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...urrent=080.jpg

Good luck with your kitten. I always keep the new ones separated in one of our 2 bathrooms until I can get them tested at the vet. Once they are proven negative for FIV, I introduce them to the rest of the "herd".

My sick kitten is now 5 years old and has been ruling the household since the day I found her .

Quote Originally Posted by 3horsemom View Post
    too funny! my husband swears he has "sucker" on his forehead and only strays can see it.
    we were leaving a h.s. football game with about 300 other people when my dh stops and says "do you hear that?"
    dh climbs down into a ravine, comes back covered in mud holding the tiniest little kitten in his palm. bloody and covered in burrs, we brought him home. dh took him to the vet the next day and 300.00 later we have a black cat who dh names luke bc "the force is stong with this one".
    luke now weighs 19 lbs(and is always on a diet) and is very sure that we were the lucky ones.
    good for you for helping this little one. keep us posted.
    Been there! Done that!

Many years ago we were coming home having been to vets with a couple of dogs for vaccinations and came across a cat on the road that had obviously been hit by a car. It was a big well cared for cat and even had a collar and bell on but no name tag. So we picked it up and took it straight back into the vets........ which was actually just a few yards down the road. The cat had to have surgery and a leg amputated so was at the vets for some time. The vet had cards up in the practice to see if anyone knew whose it was. Nothing! They arranged for the local RSPCA and cat protection league to be informed to see if they could find the owner. Nothing! The cat recovered so we brought it home to recouperate rather than having it put to stress in a big welfare cattery. We paid for supplementary advertising in the local newspaper. Nothing! We ended up with an £800 vet bill and a cat called Tripod!!!!

Our current compliment is 4/5 cats!!

We're in the process of trying to trap number 5 who just turned up about 2 months ago: and to have him/her neutered! To date that one is just having food put out so it starts to come regularly and eventually it will be trapped and neutered and either re-homed elsewhere ...... I've a chance of persuading one of the girls who works for me to have it for her parents farm. Or else we'll end up with 5!

Each and every one was 'homed' to us and 3 from feral colonies.

Having said that all but Sid Viscious, has decided in time that the farm house is much more preferable to the barn and they only venture down to the stables and barn when they want to.

Sid's the only one we have that decided he didn't want servants and feed on demand. He was an older un-neutered Tom cat when we first acquired him. My wife went to see him at the vets after he'd just been trapped as part of a huge feral colony clear-out. Our vet (some friend he is!) said come and see them, no obligation. Sid had a sign on his cage that said "euthanase or neuter after Susan has viewed"

Needless to say he got neutered and came to Flodden Edge! He's not sociable - indeed he's a total wild thug! Huge! Bigger than a lot of small terrier dogs and twice as fierce! We often don't see him for weeks on end. We put dry food down for him but I'm convinced he doesn't touch it and it feeds the mice! He copes perfectly well each winter. He normally gets himself in the hay barn and somewhere between and in the middle of the stacks of round bales.

We have all tested for feline leukaemia and aids once they've been trapped. Anything that has been positive over the years has been put down. Anything feral that is negative is neutered, has an ear tip clipped (so we/others/vets etc know it's been done) and is either rehomed to another farm or if all else we tend to get stuck with it.

you big softy tom,,
    mind you i have had loads of cats the same way, i found tootsie mum and her brother in a bag in the road after seeing a mate, the bag moved and it wasnt windy, curiousity got the better of me, i had mum done and paid heaps out for her and the kittys
    pelham the mother was my 1st barn cat rescue her son snaffles was huge dirty big cat
    hes still about and comes and goes hes been done, normally catches me off guard and when i least expect it ie when i am mucking out he appears from nowhere and jumps on my neck
    and bites my head and hair,, hes like a litttle black panther his sister tootsie is the one that died last year after 28yrs together there mum got knocked down in the lane 2yrs after i brought her home, since then i was given a pair of tabbies socks and tom

socks died one week before fogi, shes 20yrs old tom her brother is still here and her son
    cuddles of whom is also long haired but smokey grey, then have 2 nieces from her other son
    balze or kara as wasnt quick enought to catch them , that mated to a rescue cat poppy
    of whom we got cause someone didnt want her and dumped her outside my gate
    all i have left are snap and crackle tootsie kittens which are about 20yrs
    tom hes about 20 cuddles 15 poppy kittens as pop died last year, sky and star
    and new rescue due to be done-- quick as in hes quick so thats hes name

i would rrather have a dozen cats than a dozen rats- i odnt have rats well not ones i can see anyways

So we just got back from the vet...The only thing wrong with the little one is that she is skinny and has a bit of a runny nose. Its cleared up on its own rather well! Vet gave her the all clear to be introduced to my boys and to live a long and happy life here.

Now I need a name! She's a keeper...

Carrera, I'm so pleased for you and even more so for young kitten. I still have Baby who moved with me from the small farm to the big farm to the city. She's 20 this year and going strong. Old Cat came from the farm with me and she's probably around 17. There's nothing like a stray!

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Quote Originally Posted by Carrera View Post

Now I need a name! She's a keeper...
    Now comes the fun part - A NAME! Since she was found amongst the chickens, how about:

Chick (or Chicky)
    Scratch
    Hen (or Henny)
    Roo (for roost)
    Brush (found in brush pile, and for horse brushes!)

So glad she's yours!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Carrera View Post
    And hubby said she can stay in the house until she feels better

I had a wild, hurt kitty adopt me about 5 years ago. He was so small he fit in the palm of my hand, his eyes were still blue and he had to be bottle fed by hand every two hours for almost two weeks. He was missing the paw part of one hind leg. Don't know if he was born that way or if he was injured shortly after being born.

Hubby said he could stay in the house until he was done being bottle fed, then he had to move to the tack room. Yeah, like that happened!!!!

Cujo is 5 now, weighs in at 25 pounds and still lives in the house. Once they're in, they're in!!!
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Ok, I have to ask. Is it just mine or do these poor little sick kittens have the ability to purr louder then any other cats known to man? When my little October (I named her after the month I found her in) gets rolling, you need earplugs to drown her out. My other two, not so much. Heck, my Himalayan I don't think knows how to purr!

Quote Originally Posted by smid2 View Post
    Ok, I have to ask. Is it just mine or do these poor little sick kittens have the ability to purr louder then any other cats known to man? When my little October (I named her after the month I found her in) gets rolling, you need earplugs to drown her out. My other two, not so much. Heck, my Himalayan I don't think knows how to purr!
    Nope!!! It's not just yours!!!!

Cujo has been affectionately dubbed the "NASCAT" because when he purrs he sounds like a NASCAR stock car!!!!
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdiamondracing View Post
    Nope!!! It's not just yours!!!!

Cujo has been affectionately dubbed the "NASCAT" because when he purrs he sounds like a NASCAR stock car!!!!

Yeah Carrera!! Hmmm.... now a name... How 'bout a pic or two to help us out?
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by smid2 View Post
    Both of mine purr loud enough to all but rattle the windows