The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I've been adopted by a sick kitten **Updated With Pics!!**

*sigh* I was out feeding the chickens this am and a little grey kitten popped out of a pile of brush. Very sweet, kind thing, but so so so snotty that it was having a hard time breathing. I picked its nose and that helped. Its really skinny and small, prob. about 10 weeks old. It MUST have been someone's pet, but I can't find its family. Can you tell tomorrow is pay day? I guess that I am going to have to take her (i assume) to the vet.

Hubby won't let me keep her in the house. But I don't think that the barn is the best place for her. I don't know what to do!

PICTURES!!!

Here is Polly with my Dad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29074050@N05/3335706618/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29074050@N05/3334869573/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29074050@N05/3334868129/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29074050@N05/3334866017/
    Last edited by Carrera; Mar. 7, 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Put her in a box with a blanket in the barn, or a shed if you have one, then take her to the vet or take her to the shelter.

I'm not sure it would HAVE to have been someone's pet--in my experience feral kittens tend to be less human-averse than adult ferals, and we've had a few just walk right up. It could also be dumped out of a car.

Animal Shelter right away.

If you have any other felines, do a lot of hand and clothes washing NOW.

Default If you have

If you have been adopted by a sick kitten, you are indeed special. I just lost the sick grey kitten that adopted me (at almost 7 due to kidney failure) and he told me I was special every day he was alive. Hope you find a way to bring her into the house. I'm sure she will repay you many times over. (mine was dumped by the way)

Sick kitty pictures and good cat quotes here:

http://web.centre.edu/dajones/

Congratulations on receiving such a special gift!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

She won't go to a shelter. If she is here, she is here to stay. She will just have to be a barn cat (for now). I have 2 other cats out there that are showing her the ropes and keeping her company

Please try.....yes, be religious about disinfecting and cleaning - but you are this little grey's chance - and for some reason, it chose YOU out of anybody else to ask for help.
    One little starfish and all that....
    Good on ya.
    ETA - just read your above post - I feel like doing a happy dance!!!!! I wonder if baby wipes might help clean the snots off...and am thinking about how some people use different products when kittehs have runny eyes so they don't get scald...any suggestions?
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Many years ago I found a sick kitty! Her Mother had been beating her up and the faimly who was caring for them was away! Sidney turned out to be one of my favorite cats. I still remember how sick she was and how i sat and cried about it!

Good luck with your new Kitty!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

Having lost a kitten to FIP, until you take her to the vet, please keep her isolated from your other kitties as you don't know what her snotty nose really is. We had a kitten seem to have an URI and it turned out to be FIP. Just advice here as we want to keep your current kitties safe and healthy.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I was adopted by a little tiny snot-nosed sick kitten 3 years ago. She screamed outside my house for 2 days and I finally coaxed her into the garage with food (she was a bit feral). I had other cats so after her vet visit she stayed in a small bathroom until she had finished her medicine. She's now a TANK and sits on my lap when I'm in bed watching TV. Good luck with your new baby!
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

I was adopted by a skinny, cold, and wet (but thankfully not sick) kitty 9.5 years ago. Best, most loving kitty I could have ever imagined. She'll have her 10th birthday this June.

Ditto the advice about keeping the sick one separate from your others if you can. Keep us posted on her progress.

Good for you Carrera, good for you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Uh-oh! join the club. I "blame" my horse vet for being a softie and taking this little guy when the dairy farmer asked her if she could find him an indoor home. He was a runt, 2 months old and just over a pound, with all kinds of worms and snots and snuffles. He even needed kitty PT because he was so delayed in motor skills from being undernourished. Today he's huge, 15+ lbs, with a motor that will drown out conversation and the only one of our cats that's allowed outside because he's too fat to climb out of the fenced yard!

I was going to post a picture but I can't figure out how. He was ugly. Now he's not.

She's more than likely got cat flu. The vet will quickly sort it and it won't cost too much

It will be fine in the barn. Put it in a box with a blanket to keep it warm and feed it twice a day and it won't give a damn where it is.

Oh and cats have a habit of doing this. You need to know that dogs have owners and cats have servants!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    She's more than likely got cat flu. The vet will quickly sort it and it won't cost too much

It will be fine in the barn. Put it in a box with a blanket to keep it warm and feed it twice a day and it won't give a damn where it is.

Oh and cats have a habit of doing this. You need to know that dogs have owners and cats have servants!
    You are so right... I've booked an appt. with the vet for friday. And hubby said she can stay in the house until she feels better

Default Hehehe

You are so right... I've booked an appt. with the vet for friday. And hubby said she can stay in the house until she feels better
    Yea!!!!
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Hubby sounds like me...... I swear I've got "MUG" tattooed on my forehead!

Thomas_1: Too funny!

But she (and that is now confirmed) must have a bath! She smells like pee. Its really gross actually... And I guess that once she is well enough she will be getting spayed too...

*sigh* I am trying to save up for a new dressage saddle. At least I have the funds to help this kitty

I was adopted by a 2 month old tabby back in October. I came in to feed one morning and she was at the back of the barn screaming at the top of her little lungs. She was cold, hungry, and injured. She's now my third house cat and just as sweet as can be. She loves to lay on my shoulder and neck when I'm sprawled on the couch or in bed. Good thing she's stayed small or I might be having issues with this!

I wouldn't recommend bathing her whilst she's ill...... stressful and she'll get cold.

Rather sling a load of talcolm powder on her for just now and just brush her. She'll like that and it will act as a dry shampoo.

Oh and stop smelling her!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I'd be a little worried about distemper, I'd be a lot worried about what she's got that the other cats might catch... BUT... I'd still do exactly as you're doing.

They tend to find me in my job(s). Usually when the time is right. For whatever reason. Good on'ya.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)