The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Slipping Saddle

Hello,

My saddle lives to migrate back a good 4" during the ride. I have tried hunting breast collars, polo breastplates and finally both together! What a sight. Than I resorted to western breast plate with double tugs. Any other ideas to try on this Tb with large laid back shoulder and a long sloping shark fin for a wither? He is well muscled alongside the wither so no hollow to slip into, we just slip back and back.... not where that saddle belongs!

Have you tried an anti-slip pad like: http://www.valleyvet.com/ZoomImage.a...es/37502_A.jpg

You can even use the anti-slip rug mats from Wal-Mart
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

My first thought is that your saddle does not fit properly. I can't tell if it's too wide or too narrow from your description, but it seems you have a fitting issue.

My second thought is this.....and don't get offended because I don't know you at all....I've seen enough English riders who put their saddles on WAY too far forward to say this with confidence. Maybe your saddle fits, but you're putting it on way too far forward, and it's simply slipping back into the correct position for you.

When you place the saddle on your horse's back, is the tree well behind the scapula so the horse's shoulders can move freely? Or are the points of the tree sitting up on the withers? Not only does this make the horse terribly uncomfortable and could cause him great pain, but if the saddle is in the wrong place, many times it will "slip back" to correctly seat itself. Correct saddle position must be accomplished in order to determine if your saddle fits. If you don't know if you're doing it right or not, ask someone at your barn to help you who knows alot about saddle fitting.
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

I was also wondering about the fit issue. I just had the horse chiro out last weekend and we took a look at the saddle I was using on my horse last fall and it doesn't fit at all. It would definately slip back if I used it because it is too tight in the shoulder.

Can you post pictures of the horse...
    1. nekked in profile
    2. with the saddle only-no pad-on his back - where you'd like it to be.

Default Hay

Ditto this and have been way guilty of this..."My second thought is this.....and don't get offended because I don't know you at all....I've seen enough English riders who put their saddles on WAY too far forward to say this with confidence."
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Hello

Thanks for the thoughts and comments. Saddle fit is not generally an issue with this Ansur KK. The saddle sits well and is padded well. No soreness anywhere under the saddle or up the wither that either I or the vet can find. Spine is just fine too. Acutally I tried the treed saddles (custom and Hermes on him, fit varied from snug to ok and both migrated) If we progress out of the walk, that big shoulder starts moving the saddles back. I marked the placment with magic marker lines on him initially and measured where we ended up. Since he is "short backed" it may be more of a confirmation issue for him than others. I'll work on the pictues although I am not sure how I would post on this site as attachments are not allowed? Any ideas

Yup we have the anti slip type pads, both the rug/Dixie Midnight style and the Nunn Finer ones (like these much better). They provide some hold, but not for more aggresive work.

Jill

What kind of girth are you using? Mohair is usually considered to be one of the better anti-slip materials.

This mohair girth is shaped similar to the roping cinches which gives more surface area for grip without binding behind the elbows.

http://www.actionridertack.com/catal...roducts_id=805

Also, Nunn Finer makes an English double tug breastplate: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Fin...late_p/854.htm

Regarding posting pictures, the best way for non-premium members to post pictures is to host them on a site like photobucket and provide the link.

Absent some unusual circumstances a saddle that slips is a saddle that doesn't fit.

The OP needs to have some photos/video taken and then re-evaluate the fit of the saddle.

G.

you just provide a link like this one...meaning post the pics on flickr, or webshots, or whatever photo hosting site you prefer. Then, right click on the pic and select properties. Copy the photo's properties (their location online) and paste it here..like this one of Chippy, play dead!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3533/...d95685.jpg?v=0

good Chippy!

Hello again,

re girth: humane/equalizer girth. (works best with treeless saddles I have found so far) I have used a mohair girth with the regular saddle but it didn't seem to be any different. The action rider girth is lovely but too short. My saddles have regular billets. The Nunn Finer breast collar is lovely, although a bit pricey.

I'll work on the pictures. Thanks for the insights on posting. Jill

I agree with those who mentioned fit. You may also want to look at how you are padding the saddle, and the horse's girth line. Girth line — including the type of girth you use and rigging placement can be a factor. If you don't have it already, pick up a copy of Dr. Joyce Harman's pain free fit books. There is one for english, and one for western. Both have very useful information on these things... like how to determine your horse's girth line, what kinds of products and billets/rigging to help combat. Good luck.

I had a similar issue w/my husband's TWH and both a Bob Marshall and an Ansur saddle. I also tried several treed saddles with this horse, and ran into the same problem with all of them.

What worked for us was a Skito pad with custom inserts - with his conformation he needed more padding right behind the shoulders. I sent photos of the horse to Tom at Skito, and he was able to put a set of inserts together.

I still use the non-slip pad and breastplate, but the Skito inserts made a huge difference.