The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking We got the SEVEN! Yeah!

Bonnie spent about 3 weeks in Florida with Erika, and work conspired to make lessons not do-able last week after she got back, so I hadn't seen nor ridden Bonnie in over a month until yesterday.

It's not often Bonnie and I have been separated, since she was an ovum.

I hardly recognize the critter I sat on yesterday! Wow, her very-very average trot has gotten all big and bouncy, and we have lateral work, oh my GOD, travers, renvers, even half pass if I can keep my sh*t together. Who is this animal? I've got DQ fantasies going through my head now. Second level? Third? Why not!?

But of course I want to JUMP the beast, so today we did one of my least-favorite exercises: how many little, bouncy strides can you squeeze in a 48 foot line? Today we got SEVEN, legitimately, multiple times. Normally we're lucky to get six. And naturally with this sitting-down, tail-swishing canter the jumps that followed were GRRRREAT. Whee! I'm walking on air!

(actually I'm hobbling like an old geezer as following the lesson I loaded the manure spreader by hand three times. OY!)

Just wanted to share . . . errr, brag. Wish I had some pictures of this pretty horse I seem to own now. Feel free to share stories of the progress your ponies have made this winter--we can all use a little as we look forward to show season!
    Click here before you buy.

You know what? We live for moments like that. Good on ya. it's such a heartbreak sport at times that the good times seem all the sweeter. Can you go with your horse next year? We took a week and visited Ocala and Aiken for the first time this year, without horses. If the Gods are willing we are going to do two weeks in Aiken next March because life is just too damn short. Ocala is warmer, but also farther. Aiken seems to be geared more to eventing anyway.

Congrats, Delta!

I have been working my butt off all winter to improve my Bugger boy's dressage. His jump is out of this world, but our dressge had a lot to improve. I have been working with Stacey Hastings (Grand Prix dressage rider/coach), and she has made a WORLD of difference in us!! We're heading to Jumping Branch this weekend for our first Prelim. I hope we can get ourselves a decent score!!
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."

It's not often Bonnie and I have been separated, since she was an ovum.
    That cracked me up!

Congrats on your great ride. I'm jealous and now want to go see if Vernon and I can even fit 3 or 4 in a a 48 foot line. Seven seems right out right now.

Well, we've improved our knowledge of anatomy of the front leg and we've improved our knowledge of the interactions between NSAIDs and renal function, and we've improved my stride length when handwalking a long-legged horse . . .

Seriously, congrats! That's awesome! Yay for both you and Bonnie!

Default Yay for better dressage in between fences!

I just want to say that my horse's canter in between fences has developed incredibly over the winter. We had an amazing lesson recently doing all sorts of crazy lines, angles, and turns. He's so much fun to jump!

I know my trainer reads these, so if you do LAZ... Thank You!!

Way to go, DW (or is it DQ now?)

Anyone up for EIGHT?
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Very cool! Hooray! Bonnie is going to be kicking some training level butt...!

It's been a rough winter for us, but I rode last night, and Harry was so good...and refreshed. This topic enthuses me. Spring is on the way...

"ovum" (ie 'egg')

"cracked me up"

well, I know I'm a shut in, but I laughed, yellowbriches!

good for you, D(Q) and Bonnie!!!

I have two big fillies who have done NOTHING all winter, and it's more than time for their vacation to end.

This week .....
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

My horses buck seems to have gotten more athletic. (I can't believe that was possible!!)
    I serioulsy can't wait for the weather to really break and get back into regular training!
    Good for you and Bonnie! It's motivating hearing about others' progress.
    Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground. ~Author Unknown

DW--How cool! Congrats on your *new* horse! Can't wait to see Bonnie in action this spring. Maybe we need to do a few dressage shows this summer? Might be fun to have a lazy show day (dressage shows always seem so danged easy--no courses to walk, no boots, studs, or multiple bridle/saddles to schlep around).

Very cool. Thanks for posting that, Delta.

I found myself wondering how Bonnie has been doing lately, because as a longtime COTHer, I feel like I've known Bonnie for so long, too.

Now how about some pictures?

Great job. But yes, my horse can beat it. He can do 8. I have a video clip somewhere of him doing this at a show. It's amazing how he can practically canter in place. Guess canter piroettes (sp?) won't be an issue in the future... like we'd ever make it that far! Our problem is actually getting him to go more forward! So I work on the opposite. Pushing him to actually make the 'big boy' striding. He always adds if given the option. And he's not a little guy (16.3hh). He just has that "Appendix, I used to show the QH circuit, slow/lopey canter" thing.