The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Update: Miracle Kitten - HE'S GONE :(

My friend called me at 6pm tonight after the ultrasound. She had been given a 96% certainty from the second vet and radiologist that is was, indeed, FIP. She took him back to the first vet and euthanized him. She feels as do I that she did everything she could for him and feels confident in the decision that she gave him a good life and did not prolong his life only to see him decline and suffer. A bright little light extinquished too soon, for sure, but he brought a lot of joy while he was here. Our little Speedbump, AKA Heathcliff, is now where he feels no pain. Thanks for all the ideas.

Original Post: I'm hoping for a COTH miracle and I'm a bit desperate too......Posting for a friend.....let me give a brief synopsis.

Found this kitten literally in the middle of the road near the barn, half dead. Middle of December. Friend took him home, vetted him, quarantined him for several weeks and introduced him to her household. Everything was great.

Kitten spiked a fever earlier in the week. Vet can't definitely say what it is, we were ready to put him down with fever of 106 degrees, but the kitten rallied and has been holding steady for long enough for vet to 1. question what he had and 2. agree we shouldn't put him to sleep.

Kitten is literally the sweetest thing ever. So affectionate, and he already survived so much. However, vet does not recommend him going back to a household with other cats, nor having a primarily outdoor home. He gets along great with dogs. Most of the people we know around here already have cats.

Friend is running out of options and may have to euthanize kitten. We do NOT want to do this. I'm looking for ideas or suggestions for places for him/options to try....we're desperate. The worst part is, we have a home for him come April and would only need something temporary. What a sad thing. The kitten is in the greater Philly area, if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions...
    Last edited by AlternaPony; Mar. 5, 2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: sad ending

Why can't he be around other cats?

Probably because the vet thinks kitten has something infectious that he hasn't managed to identify, fears that whatever it is, he will give the other cats in house. (my guess).
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

He originally tested very low on a titre that could be communicated to other cats. However, that is the part the vet is questioning now that he responded to medication, dropped his fever and presents no other symptoms. That's how it was explained to me, and the not being with other cats, although he loves other cats, is just a precaution but is the very thing that is making this so much harder.

If we hadn't literally pulled him out of the middle of the road, and he wasn't so darn sweet and loving.....it makes it harder. My friend is just sick at heart about this. We're both such die-hard animal lovers and its hard to believe we might have to euth him and there's no other option.

You said the kitten has already been exposed to the household. Are any of them sick? Remember, it is so much easier to isolate a kitten than a horse. How about a garage? Or a shed? Or a trailer, etc? You can keep the location warm with extension cords or even straw and blankets. Put the kitten in a large dog crate with a litter box. It's only until April, right? Your problem is not as desperate as you think it is. Best wishes.

Melzy -- those are not bad ideas. I am sending everything to my friend to see what she thinks. To answer your question, no the other animals at the home are not sick. I believe she has to keep an eye on them but its possible that 1. he never had what the vet thought or 2. he had exposure to it but not symptoms and that the other cats won't ever get it either.

Default a suggestion

i did volunteering for the local SPCA during kitten season. of course all of the moms had horrible respiratory infections. anyway, i used my spare bathroom as an isolation ward for the sickies and it worked out really well. put a litterbox, food and water in there for them along with a bed and then was able to store meds in the medicine cabinet. worked great! good luck to you with said kitten - I hope things work out for you and him/her!

Quote Originally Posted by AlternaPony View Post
    He originally tested very low on a titre that could be communicated to other cats. However, that is the part the vet is questioning now that he responded to medication, dropped his fever and presents no other symptoms. That's how it was explained to me, and the not being with other cats, although he loves other cats, is just a precaution but is the very thing that is making this so much harder.
    DOn't know if this could be the least bit related but we have a cat here that is sick sick sick ALL the time unless he is on antibotics. He has been tested for everything there is to test a cat for and it shows nothing. The vet thinks he is allergic to "something". We give him a low dose of antibotics once daily and he is fine. We can go about a week between dosing this cat. I know this is a bad thing for him but guess we keep doing it until we can't. The alternative is euth. Makes me wonder about your kitten since it did respond to meds. OH, we've started him (our cat) on missing link for cats and that seems to help him go a bit longer without his daily antibotics.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

This is so frustrating. I appreciate all ideas so far. I've told my friend to ask the vet if she has any suggestions of rescues or foster homes, etc. that may help. She herself has contacted all the people who have a garage/no cat home and so far, nobody will help. And it turns out the person who could rehome him in April will not be moving until summer now. I also posted to friends on Facebook and am really trying EVERYTHING I can think of! Thanks for all the suggestions, we really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoustip View Post
    i did volunteering for the local SPCA during kitten season. of course all of the moms had horrible respiratory infections. anyway, i used my spare bathroom as an isolation ward for the sickies and it worked out really well. put a litterbox, food and water in there for them along with a bed and then was able to store meds in the medicine cabinet. worked great! good luck to you with said kitten - I hope things work out for you and him/her!
    I'll ditto this. Master bathroom was a kitty convalescent ward for a month. Water to hand, easy to clean washable surfaces, floor mats all launderable, master bedroom for a buffer from rest of house.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I have fostered kittens for years for local shelter. Sometimes ones who have been in distress have low immune systems and poor nutrition capability. One of the best strategies we've found is a daily dose of a probiotic, some are so starved that they have no beneficial bacteria in their gut.

I kept all my street kitties in the bathroom while I was making sure they were healthy enough to have the run of the house. It's the perfect kitty isolation ward, and easy to make comfortable for them. Ditto ReSomething on all points.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

It sounds like the kitten has FIP. If this is the case, the right think to do is what your friend does not want to do. I have had a kitten with FIP. It was heart-wrenching but it's a deadly disease.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+2134&aid=212
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

If it is FIP.....euthanasia is the kindest thing...I have watched itty bitties suffer from it trying to figure out what was wrong with them. It is hard to diagnose, but if kitty has any fluid build up in belly, that is a tell tale sign.....Good luck...

Johanna
    "Animals can sometimes take us to a place that we cannot reach ourself"

** Support the classic Three Day Event! Ride a Long Format **

Kitten goes for ultrasound this evening -- one more test to see if they see anything that would indicate FIP. Since he tested SO low on the titre, they are not convinced what it is....and the ultrasound should show more. Kitten gets more healthy looking and lively every time we have visited.... its confusing.

This is exactly what our kitten did. Rebounded when on antibotics, playful, seemed fine then it woudl get another gooky eye so we'd take him back in. Did this for about a month till finally we got the diagnosis. I have all my body parts crossed that it's not FIP. Please keep us posted.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Get a second opinion ASAP. Maybe this Vet is overlooking something.

I updated my first post with the sad news.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I'm so sorry for your loss, at least the kitty had a loving home for the past 3 months.