The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jeremy Steinberg opinions?

He is giving a clinic, and it's only $20 to audit. Is it worth it?

Lovely rider, did a great job with two young riders I've seen him coach, and he's good eye candy. Totally worth it!

Jeremy has been in dressage for a very long time and is a very, very decent chap. 20 bucks is nothing to audit a clinic these days. most charge much more.

Jeremy has been in dressage for a very long time and is a very, very decent chap.
    I believe that sort of comment is called 'damning with faint praise' especially in reply to a question asking about his value as a clinician.

Whether it is based on any actual knowledge of the man,however, is hard to say.

And I believe you are starting another one of your campaigns to stir up trouble.

I meant exactly what I said. To elaborate, he's got decades of experience riding wonderful horses and is a very, very decent person, I've admired his skill for a very, very long time and have a lot of respect for his abilities, classical (he was with Deitrich von Hopfgarten for a very, very long time and so has the best of classical background), traditional methods, ability to communicate in a clinic situation and he has a great seat. He was a demo rider in the Isabel Werth clinic, and to top it off, he is a quiet, gentle, patient rider, he will work with any breed and loves them all, he has everything from quarter horses to warmbloods to children's ponies at his barn.

And 20 dollars IS a very reasonable audit fee ESPECIALLY to see someone like him work, they must be charging such a reasonable fee just to encourage people to attend and allow others to share his knowledge. I would jump at the chance to audit a clinic with him, or ride in one.

"actual knowledge of the man "

No, I don't 'know' him in the Biblical sense.

But it is not difficult to be aware of of someone of that quality who's ridden, competed, clinic'd, taught, shown and instructed for so long and been that generous with his knowledge with the riding community. And I'm sure I've forgotten much of his history and some others can fill in more details. I do know he has worked with and continues to work with the best there are and he is very, very good.

The ONLY thing I don't like about him is he mostly clinics in the pacific northwest and not in my area.
    Last edited by slc2; Mar. 4, 2009 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    Jeremy has been in dressage for a very long time

To elaborate, he's got decades of experience riding wonderful horses

(he was with Deitrich von Hopfgarten for a very, very long time and so has the best of classical background),
    I find this rather funny, given that Jeremy is in his early 30s!

ZIL, I have never seen him but hear good things. I think auditing (anyone) is nearly always worth it!

http://www.jeremysteinbergdressage.c.../Mainpage.html

I would definately go! I have not personally worked with Jeremy, but know one of his students well, and she highly recommends him ~ and that's good enough for me!

Have fun, maybe write a clinic report!!

since it is only $20.00 to go for the day...it is worth the trip just for that and to make up your own mind. He would seem to be busy teaching clinics most weekends which would go some way in telling you that he is certainly popular.

Spend the $20 and a day, whether the clinician is good, bad or ugly...or not.

You may discover a master...

or the one guy on earth who has some novel solution to a problem you are having with your horse...

or a new way of explaining something quite standard yet endlessly described and debated like the half-halt or swing....

or you may learn exactly what NOT to do and an understanding about why not to ride or train that way.

Knowledge bases grow slowly and by accretion. And you would be hard pressed to find another "lesson" so cheap.

Where is the clinic?

Absolutely go. I've been riding with Jeremy for several years now and have benefitted greatly from his help. He's been able to make a profound change for every horse I've ridden for him - which says a lot as I've taken the pony, a Mustang, a wonderfully clever schoolmaster, and several "retrains" that needed some creativity to bring out their best :-). He has a very easy to understand style of teaching and is a nice person - sometimes hard to find that.. You'll get plenty of information to take home, regardless of your level. It'll be well worth your day and your $20...

Quote Originally Posted by Capriole View Post
    I find this rather funny, given that Jeremy is in his early 30s!

!
    Yes, I found those comments rather entertaining as well. I've always thought of Jeremy as a "kid" coming up through the ranks, certainly gaining experience, but not yet "seasoned". When he was in my area, I saw some things that I didn't like and some things that I did like. He had a decent but not huge clientele, now that he's moved out of the area but comes back for clinics, suddenly he's rather popular. For $20.00, go see for yourself.

where is the audit? would love to attend? never mind, went to his web page, i guess i havent had a lot of coffee this morning

Quote Originally Posted by ZIL View Post
    He is giving a clinic, and it's only $20 to audit. Is it worth it?
    Absolutely.

I'm biased though - I was a long time client, and now clinic with him when he's back in my area.

And he'll be on the Dressage Cruise ! Yea !!!

Not sure which clinic the OP is referring to, but he'll be in San Diego March 20-21.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

He has a very quiet seat and aids. He is a soft rider that I enjoy to watch. He trained several horses to GP already. He seems to be humble and has a cense of humor. He worked with Dietrich Von Hopffgarten.

He rides a very sensitive chestnut mare international quality as per Jan Brink words at the FEI trainers symposium.

I would enjoy riding and auditing him.

MVP gave good advice, $20 is good value for what you might learn. Have to agree with Dune also. JS is a good clinician/teacher, but would I send him a horse to ride - mmm,no. IMO, he's definitely a good teacher, go to the clinic.

I clinic with Jeremy regularly. Definitely go audit!! I think of him as an old soul when it comes to horsemanship and he is classical in his training. But he does not get so caught up in theory that he doesn't have real world solutions to every day problems. Always in the best interest of the horse. He is the only clinician I trust to help me with my challenging mare. I have learned a ton from him and he is a great instructor/person and makes learning fun! I am surprised that some people on this board don't seem to be able to accept that trainer/instructors evolve in their abilities over time. I'm sure most of us don't train just like we did years ago, I hope we all strive to be better. He is young (I'm old), but with loads of experience and what I like is he is still willing to learn from other great trainers. The two I know he rides with are Gunter Seidel and Debbie Macdonald. So go audit and enjoy!!