The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prices Then vs Prices Now / What Would They Sell For Today

Just a fun thread/comparison game that may have some educational value.

Horse prices have changed dramatically over years. You can attribute it to any number of causes - inflation, more imports, more 'new money' entering the sport, etc.

Many returning Adult Amateurs get hit with a large dose of sticker-shock when comparing today's prices to what they once knew. "Back in -my- day..." is becoming an all too common refrain out of my own mouth.

So lets take a trip in our magic time machine and collect old horses from days of yore, or even some of our elderly steeds in their finest hours and price them for today's market. YouTube videos are ideal, photos will do if it's all you have. A quick description of the horse (the info you'd include in a sale ad) and a notation of what year the horse is coming from is also important. Hold off on what the horse was bought for/sold for/priced at until after you get a few "2007-2009" prices.

When pricing our time-travelling equines with contemporary-money, be sure to note your part of the country as well as sometimes that has a profound impact on price.

Please do not post any horses that are currently for sale or that you are trying to get a price-tag for. This is a just-for-fun kind of thing, not an actual sale thread!

First out of our time-machine, for your consideration is a Children's Hunter from 1994. 8 years old, 15.2hh, Dark Bay/Black, no chrome. Easy but not quite auto-changes. Kick-and-go, no quit, takes you to the fences. Low-prep at shows, no special shoeing needs, no 'mare management' issues. Some miles in the 3' Equitation and medals as well. Could also work in the Jumper ring.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...oeyhunters.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9zJd08Qg5U

Don't be afraid of offending me with "today" prices, I know she's not a top-o-the-line Children's Hunter and she was a steal initially.

The time machine will be returning soon with a Children's Jumper as well as some 'First Pony' types. Post yours too.
    Last edited by ef80; Mar. 4, 2009 at 01:55 AM.

Well I'm just going to throw this out there: 20-30k. Gets around safely, cute jump, but small and has to hurry to make the lines.

Wow, that's a big price-jump! She was a $3k bargain-buy in 1990 or so. We priced her at $10k in 94 or 95, ended up taking 7500 if I remember right.

Another couple out of the time machine - A first pony type, no video yet unfortunately. I think the VHS tapes with this one are buried in the back of my storage unit.
    From 1989, a 12 year old mare. Quarter/Arab cross. Liver chestnut, with small star, measures 14.1 and 3/4. As safe as they come. Clips, shoes, ties, trailers, trail-rides alone or in a group, etc. Solid to 2'6-2'9", but not quite enough for the regular pony divisions. No lead changes, but will always land correct if you ask. Zero prep or management issues. Could also event. Has won some local year-end awards.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...f80/faylah.jpg

cute jump on that pony!

I remember way back when there was a horse in my barn that was priced at 30k. That sounded like so much money!! Now, 30k doesn't get you much in a show barn!!

Ok I have one (don't worry he is already sold so I am not advertising him!)

5yr 3/4 TB gelding schooled up to Training level eventing, shown local un rated hunters as a 3yr. Quiet, sweet, but did not have his changes. Purchased as an unbroke 3yr and sold as a 5yr. Any guess on purchase price and sale price?

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...evertical4.jpg

I'll bite, I like this game 15k

Quote Originally Posted by GaellentQuest View Post
    Ok I have one (don't worry he is already sold so I am not advertising him!)

5yr 3/4 TB gelding schooled up to Training level eventing, shown local un rated hunters as a 3yr. Quiet, sweet, but did not have his changes. Purchased as an unbroke 3yr and sold as a 5yr. Any guess on purchase price and sale price?

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...evertical4.jpg
    I bet I know the answer!
    Things Take Time

are you going to share?

Hehe well that is all up to Kmp

Well on the other end of the Children's hunter spectrum from "back in the day..." I had a 16 hh difficult horse, change was certainly not automatic, but he jumped a 10++. He also had a stop in him due to a peek, which made him jump so nicely. In 1998 Priced at 25k, sold easily for 20.

GQ- I would GUESS: 1,500 purchase as 3yr old( OTTB type) 10,000 Sale as 5yr old. This is just a guess I don't buy and sale alot- BUT very NICE horse- maybe I should up my guess.....

kmp-

hehe I heard you got quite the deal on a big black TB gelding that did eventing, jumpers, and dressage

This is fun!

Another 16h, difficult type that jumped and moved with the best of them. Could only afford him because of all that lovely difficulty Bought him as a 6 y.o. Pregreen horse in '94 for 15K, was Horse of the Year in our state, took me to numerous Year End awards, was 3rd in the Zone in the First Years, took me to Maclay Regionals, got good 4ths and 5ths in the AOs at Indio.

We tried to sell him for 40K in 1998, but just couldn't get anyone to bite at that adorable, albeit nutso, little mind of his. Also had a peek and a great set of brakes. TB of course.

Indio 1998: http://www.exchangehj.com/images/about/casey.jpg

He never sold. This is my visit with him two weeks ago, first time I'd seen him in 3 years (he's in california still, I'm freezing in Chicago). He's 24 now
    http://www.exchangehj.com/images/misc/casey09_sm.jpg
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Shop our 50+ sale horses available at 2014 WEF, Thermal, Ocala & Gulfport here.

I heard something on here once: "It used to be that a new saab, a year's tuition at an ivy league school, and a nice hunt horse all cost the same amount". Well, field hunters haven't caught up, but I think the ratio stands for a nice useful horse.
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    I heard something on here once: "It used to be that a new saab, a year's tuition at an ivy league school, and a nice hunt horse all cost the same amount". Well, field hunters haven't caught up, but I think the ratio stands for a nice useful horse.
    Where can you find a nice A-circuit hunter for a year's tuition at an ivy league school???

You can get a good useful 3' horse for 50k, or the rare 3'6 horse. Not a world beater, but one who you can go have fun with and get a ribbon.
    -Grace

Ok this is interesting, here's mine, curious as to his today's value (not that you would likely even find a horse like him in this day of big warmbloods!):

TB cross gelding, no papers, owned by me, from age 5 to 10. Chestnut with blaze and stockings, 15.3 1/2 (perm card), 6/10 mover, 7 or 8/10 jumper (very good knees but not round). Successful 3 ft hunter locally in competitive area, in the ribbons at As. Shown one year in the 3'6" eq and first year greens, qualified and competed successfully at the Medal finals and Maclay regionals (just missed cut off to go to finals), as well as local eq finals. Showed in the eq at Devon and all the northeast big A shows. Still eligible 2nd year green. LOTS of experience, been there done that attitude for the most part. Pretty much a known quantity amongst the local trainers (in the NY metro area)

Not an easy ride, needs an actual rider...not a passenger because he's somewhat looky. Counter canter needs work, auto changes. Very catty, athletic, and extremely adjustable over fences as well as very easy to sit. No stop whatsover. No problems with walk and trot fences, bending lines, long lines, short lines etc. Could have gone jumpers too. 100% sound but wouldn't pass a vet with flying colors. Has an old bow and probably other issues...but again sound with no maintenance.

His pic is in my profile....so what would he be worth today? The year he was sold was.....1988.

^^From the window shopping I've done, the lower-end of similar horses out west seems to be around 60-80k for something like that these days. You could probably push it up a little more for east-coast pricing