The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Western Hunt Challenge Tour 2009

I've been asked by the Western Challenge organizers to post this year's schedule for any and all interested:

Thursday April 2nd Red Rock Hounds, Reno, Nevada
    Saturday April 4th Grand Canyon Hounds, Flagstaff, Arizona
    Sunday April 5th Paradise Valley Beagles & Kingsbury Harriers, Flagstaff, Arizona
    Tuesday April 7th Caza Ladron, Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Wednesday April 8th Arapahoe Hunt, 2:00 PM, Parker, Colorado
    Saturday April 11th Coal Valley, McCune, Kansas

This year's judges are Rob Karnacki from Fort Leavenworth, and Susan Gentry from Cloudline Hounds. If anyone needs contact info for the meets, PM me and I'll forward Paul's email to you.

Default Wow, runs late this year

I know that Bridlespur opted out. I tried to volunteer to help to make it happen but they were afraid it would be really late in the year. Guess it would be.

Wonder how far it is to Coal Valley for me.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Coal Valley, cool. Going to check my work schedule and get myself off the clinic books that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    I know that Bridlespur opted out. I tried to volunteer to help to make it happen but they were afraid it would be really late in the year. Guess it would be.

Wonder how far it is to Coal Valley for me.
    It is close to Pittsburgh, KS (south east area) which is 2 1/2 hours south of KC. Think "Joplin, MO" area then west. I haven't hunted down there though folks from my hunt regularly go there and say it is a good day.

Just noticed I've got good Friday off so I could travel Friday, Hunt Saturday and return on Sunday. Hmmmm.
    -Painted Wings

All I can say is, thank heavens GCH & PVB/KH are on the weekend. So much more realistic. Maybe I'll make it there this year!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I wish I could go to all the hunts on the Challenge! What fun! My MFH and huntsman, Susan Gentry, is a judge! Too bad work will prevent me from going too! Might try to go to at least one...maybe Coal Valley.

russgriechen@gmail.com Guest

Default The new revised site in now...

The new revised site in now online.
    at http://westernchallenge.org
    The 2009 schedule is posted and all the sites are posted or placeholders for needed data.
    click on the links in the left column to or send ane email to
    webmaster@westernchallenge.org.

The process of adding all past years is in progress.

Thanks,
    Russ Griechen

Thanks Russ, I've been watching the web site closely for some action.

I'll post the link in our club newletter which comes out soon.
    -Painted Wings

wow, thanks for posting that site. I will update it now!

Mr. Blondie is pleased to announce that he is taking The Short Bus to Flagstaff for the PVB/KH day of hunting.

At this point, we only have 2 Short Bus'ers, but who knows what might happen?

RAR is trying really hard to remember to charge her GPS and be sure that she knows how to use the "track-back" feature
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Default RAR don't worry!

We'll be hunting at the ranch house! you will always be one hill from the trailers!!

i'm glad you are coming (taking the short bus?) !

oh yes, come to the Saturday night dinner at the Parkers.

Quote Originally Posted by PVBZoE View Post
    We'll be hunting at the ranch house! you will always be one hill from the trailers!!
    As opposed to the only other time I've hunted in Flagstaff, when rivenoak and I stopped for some photo ops, lost the hunt, and spent 47 days (seemed like it at the time) wandering lost in the forest?

ok well yes, but that was Boot Hill fixture, i was lost there too!

But we are hunting at the Ranch House. You remember? Cold and windy?

WHC

Talking please share!

OK, somebody share.....what is "the short bus".....I smell a hunting yarn here!!!

I heard some members of the Snobbington might be coming? Just to spread their love!!

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    OK, somebody share.....what is "the short bus".....I smell a hunting yarn here!!!
    "The Short Bus" consists of those of us who are not (and may never be) ready to ride on the real bus with the big kids who go to "normal" school. We trundle along behind at a safe pace and do our best to keep the field more or less in sight--or at least remember where we left the trailers so we can get back when we completely lose track of the field.

I got info on Coal Valley from Wes. Now I need to decide whether to go. Looks like a five hour haul.
    -Painted Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    I got info on Coal Valley from Wes. Now I need to decide whether to go. Looks like a five hour haul.
    Leslie,
    You've probably met at least a couple of Coal Valley members as they're active eventers. The roads down to McCune are good (pretty much I-44 all the way). If you do go, post some of your excellent photos.
    Last edited by ksbadger; Apr. 2, 2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: To correct my bad geography
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

Leslie: go to Coal. If not for the Western Challenge, then do it some time next season. The country is open enough to get to see some great hound work and get in some serious runs. Lots of game. The old coal mine area means there are lots of little ponds that hold water for game. And there is a LOT of country. I didn't make it down this season, but have hunted there several times over the years and always had a great time. They know how to host a party, too.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.