The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Pee Scald Gunk : - P

Everyone finished with lunch?

Good:
    My TWH needs a sheath cleaning but the weather has been too cold to do more than swipe a damp towel up there...when I remember to bring one down to the barn...
    As a result he has been accumulating some nasty patches of {for lack of a better, more scientific term} gunk on the insides of his back legs.

Does anyone have a Majik solution for cleaning him up without leaving him wet? Or for something that will prevent the buildup?

My horses are out 24/7 so keeping him in until he's dry is not an option unless I wait until the weekend when I don't have to rush off to work.

P.S.
    our forecast is for near 60 this weekend so guess what I'll be up to my elbows in.....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I've been using a soft jelly curry thingie religiously on my guy's nasty patches this winter, and it's been successful on one leg at least (the other leg can't seem to grow the hair back for some reason). Gotta do it pretty regularly, otherwise the scurf comes back. May be worth a try for you... good luck!

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...eCategory=true
    (this is the kind of thing I use - usually the small-bristle side)
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Getting the stuff off the legs does seem to take some currying, but for the gunk inside, I would suggest mineral loil liberally applied as much as you can squirt up in there, or some use KY jelly. The idea is to get things to slide around and start coming off more easily on their own until you can actually get up in there with water ?

For the gunk stuck to the legs...try a light spray with olive oil...like Pam Olive Oil Spray. Let it sit a few minutes and then curry gently. The very light spritz of oil loosens it so when you curry it off it doesn't rip out those fine hairs on the insides of the legs.
    For sheath cleaning...I never use lots of water. I just squirt a huge glob of KY Gel (not the liquid) into both hands and then slather the penis and around inside the sheath with it and then walk away. (to wash my hands, LOL) 24 hours later I have clean washclothes in the barn ready to use and when the horse drops again, I swipe everything clean and then run another cloth around the inside of the sheath. Letting the KY sit for 24 hours softens everything up and it wipes right off. No muss, no fuss. And no picking at crunchy grunge...blech. I also do a quick bean check.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Thanks all - I have been using a stiff brush but not too briskly as it does rip at those fine hairs.

MistyBlue U R my hero(ine) - the oil spray spounds like a great idea and I'll try the KY.
    24h, huh?
    That actually would work for me as I could shmear him on a Friday, go to work as usual and then de-gunk the next day when I have time.
    He's not so much crunchy as gooey - yeah, I know - thanks for sharing... - inside his sheath but if I could get the KY to loosen the mess it could make my life a tad bit easier.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

KY jelly, then work horse so he gets warm. Then wipe with soft cotton or gauze.

Default Hay

You know he might have a large bean that's causing and irregular stream causing the pee to spray on his legs. I would use the KY or whatever everyone else suggested and reach in there and see if you can get that thing out. You won't need water... Good luck!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Mayonnaise. Really.

Someone told me to use benzoyl peroxide foaming wash

used it once and it cleared up the hind leg yuckies right away!

(on white legs yet!)

granted, I had a mild, beginnings of pee scald, but it worked.

Pines: this horse lets me reach right in...right up to my armpit if I wanted... and I found no bean when I checked him.
    His stream is forceful & solid, so I don't think that's the problem.
    He is my Good Boy who pees outside the stalls and I think he's getting backsplash rather than drippage from the rockhard frozen ground.

I KYd him this morning and will see how it "comes out" tonight.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

KY seems to have worked by itself - when I cleaned him there was a lot less gunk than before I lubed him.
    So a lot of it must have come off during the day as he walked around.
    YAY!
    I did find a couple small beans and that was it.

If he builds up any more goo on his legs I'll be trying the cooking spray - cheaper than the foaming wash stuff.

MistyBlue - once again you are the Guru of Gadgets
    I'll be adding KY to my arsenal along with the Thermacare clone for abcess.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

Yup, the KY works wonders on grungy parts! Plus it's easier on the horse and human because there isn't any scrubbing or picking or long washes. Just slather it on and leave it for a while, the heat inside their bodies loosens all the gunk and many times the big pieces just fall out. A quick swipe clean next time he drops and squeaky clean horsie! And the KY doesn't need to be rinsed and won't leave a build up or scum in there or irritate anything.
    Now wouldn't the makers of KY be shocked at what us horse folks use it for? Here they think they're making a sezy product...the way we use it ain't so sexy, LMAO!
    The oil also works to take pine sap off the horse's coat. You can also use just plain cooking oil (corn, canola, etc) wiped on with a cloth but I prefer the spray on because you use less and the dirt doesn't then stick to the clean area.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Default Hay

Mistyblue said: "Now wouldn't the makers of KY be shocked at what us horse folks use it for? Here they think they're making a sezy product..."

Hay, I smell sponsorship on the lapel of an Olympic level rider!!!! Or you know who the natural horseman have a whole list of logos after their name...include KY in on that!!! Now that's an arh, arh!

You know the Wahl Clinton Anderson tour?!?! The KY Jelly Clinton Anderson tour....arh, arh, arh!!!!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Default Read that KY label....

Now remember my dear friend Pines, and others...READ THE LABEL! Don't pick-up that fancy new stuff or you'll have a horse really in love with you! This is funny, but good information.
    Trail Rider Alert! Best kept secret in the northeast Stewart State Forest, 7,700+ acres/50+ miles of single track trails. www.HorseFarmstoHouses.com
    Click on neighborhood...