The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    These folks have not used the best judgement in the world and maybe they haven't tried very hard to re-home the cats. However, the article in the paper did state he lost his construction job and has a much lower-paying job now, which probably led to the foreclosure.

I know cats are hard to re-home and alot of people have an "attitude" about cats, but guess what -- they are victims, have feelings and deserve a home -- even though it is not the OP's problem! Instead of condeming their kind hearts -- and hoarders don't usually take the initiative to neuter or even feed them very well -- maybe some help and good ideas in placing these cats would be time better spent. No one knows how the news story came about, but it could be useful in a positive way. Maybe the newspaper would help with making an adoption venue public information.

If I were closer I'd take one -- helping animals is not about "needing" another --
    (as I tell my sister all the time) -- which I certainly don't, it's the fact that they need help and you might be their last hope. Every cat placed is a positive step. Compassion is as free as criticism.
    PennyG
    My point exactly.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

This is bad. I hope you can get out of the lease. What about calling the reporter who did the story and seeing if she saw the old house. There is a photo of the dogs (at least they look small!) I'm sorry, but kind heart or not, noone can adequately care for 46 cats. There is something really wrong with these people. And the fact that they have lied to you about the number of cats.... I'm sure they were thinking they could possibly get the number down to 12 before they moved. But they were clearly not up front with you. Check ordinances and start eviction proceedings. Have you seen the movie Pacific Heights? They already have the media angle....

Hoarder.... These people may need help, they may have been able to keep there home had it not been for all the animals, I wonder how much they spend a month on food and supplies for these animals.The joys of being a landlord. These people are in violation of your lease agreement if they have'nt moved in dont let them if they have and brought the cats along evict them. It may sound hard hearted but being a property owner I know what happens to homes with multiple pet tenents its not theres so they dont care(ie. in the article it said that one of them just likes to squat).

Maybe they are forcing foreclosure because all of their money is going towards caring for the animals......instead of caring for themselves.

Really now, you are truly wonderful for allowing them 7 dog...then amend the lease for 9. Most of us with dogs that have rented before have trouble finding rentals for ONE well-behaved titled dog let alone 7 + dogs. (When renting, I had my first S&R K-9: a titled 4 year old male. Before I moved into my rental, I got letters of recommendation from the SAR leader, my veterinarian, and a dog trainer and created a resumé for my pet )

I remember going to a woman's home a couple of years ago that was renting her basement apartment. She had 29 visible cats (not including the ones outside, etc.). While they were all spayed and neutered, and I didn't see any urine or feces in the numerous litterboxes, her house had the aroma of kitty stench (litter and urine).

It is, indeed as others have said, okay to say, "sorry, but no." Once those tenants move out, you'll have to (at least) repaint the entire house if not replace floors, etc. even with the most well-behaved animals.

It's not the fact that they have all of these animals that bothers me (as long as the animals are well cared for), it's the fact that they lied (agreeing to 7 dogs but bringing the original 9......mentioning at the signing they have 12 cats.....and now they have 46). When do the lies stop?
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by PONY751 View Post
    ... I think it may be a sickness. Like hoarding. We shall see...
    I don't think there is an "like" about it. They may call themselves a rescue, but it sure smells like hoarding, when you talk about those numbers of animals. And if you have lost your house to foreclosure, you have some serious issues to deal with. Compounding your financial woes with trying to adequately care for that number of animals is not a mentally stable place to be.

OP, you are not a bad person for not wanting anything to do with these folks. I would gently suggest that there is a lesson to be learned in this. Renting to people with even 7 dogs is a risky business.

Good luck to you!

Edited to add: I don't lack compassion for the cats. However, the OP is dealing with the value of her property. In my world, making sure your very valuable assets don't lose their value is pretty important. These nice hoarding folks have a problem; but it's not the OPs place to solve it for them.

Get a good lawyer! When (not if, but when) there's a problem, want to guess who the authorities are going to come after?
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Sounds like hoarders, and the fact that their home went into forclosure doesn't sound good for them paying the rent on time.

So you found out they have 9 dogs after reading this article and you went ahead and allowed it? I think you're crazy to think your rent will be paid on time and that they will not acquire more dogs and cats.

Did you see this part?

"If we can't find a home for all of them, one of us will stay here until they are gone," Tim said in an interview at their old home last week.

If their home is in forclosure I don't see how they can stay in it until those cats are gone and I bet you that they will sneak some cats in then acquire more. I will guess that at minimum you will have to replace your carpets with that many pets when they move.

Holy crap. That is just a LOT of cats. For what it's worth, OP, when I was looking for a place to rent, I wouldn't even consider something that smelled like cat or cat urine. On at least one occasion I walked in, smelled that distinctive smell, and walked out with a "thanks, but no thanks." And I'm an animal person and have owned cats! If you ever want to rent your place out in the future, you would need to do some MAJOR remodel once these tenants are out.

I have one VERY well behaved dog. No barking, chewing, scratching, accidents, and I ALWAYS pick up after him. But you know, the other day he was not feeling good and he vomited on the carpet. I scrubbed that thing for an hour but there's still a small stain. That's just what happens with pets. Before I leave I'll have a carpet cleaner come to get that out, but this is the best case scenario and I work really hard to keep this place as nice as I found it.

I simply cannot imagine 9 dogs. 7 would be too many. I would raise a brow at 3. 46 cats is way off the crazy scale. 12 cats is off the crazy scale. For renting, really, more than 3-4 animals total is not cool. Don't enable their crazy!!! I guarantee YOU will be the one to pay for it. Financially, emotionally, and physically.

They've already lied to you at least 3 times in trying to form a contract. That alone would have me kicking them to the curb, even if there weren't 46 cats involved. I do wish you the best of luck - you are not a bad person!!!

Not only have they lied, but they have shown some really odd judgement in lying and THEN giving interviews for a newspaper article confirming the lie. Did they think they were above being caught?

When do they move in? Can you do anything to stop them from ever moving in? If not, I would be doing weekly checks on that property to look for any evidence of cats, and I would be taking a camera.

I looked at a property before I bought my farm. The owners had 4 large dogs that spent all day outside in the sand/dirt and then apparently came in at some point. That house smelled so horrible that we turned right around and left. Didn't even make it thru the front door. There was no way that smell could have been removed. And that was only 4 dogs! Maybe a couple cats or something, but nothing like 9 dogs and 46 cats!!

I would be contacting the county housing department or whatever they call it to find out your options. Even if you decide to "wait and see", being informed ahead of time will be a huge help.

Default lock your doors!

You need to get them outta there! I rent a house (farmette) and I have 2 cats and 1 dog. I worry a lot about damage they might cause on the house. Even the best behaved and house trained animals have accidents, hair balls, etc. The smell of urine is HARD to get out of carpet and you're going to be left with that. Also if you ever rent the house again all the dander will be left making it hard for anyone with allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    I guess I can identify to some degree as a cat lover who has rescued quite a few and have about 15. I also have rescued alot of dogs. I worry about all these animals that are the "silent victims" of this economic mess and lose homes along with their caregivers. It's just too sad. I fully understand your position regarding renting your house as I have a mobile home on my farm I rent (or try to keep rented). It's a real headache. I don't have a solution. I hope the article in the paper might help on placing the cats, but there are just so many pets needing help and so many people who are no longer able to take them. Maybe a rescue group could help out or a pet store could have an adoption day for them. I know some of the rescues here use pet stores or other venues to get animals adopted. The fosters are full and the shelters don't keep them long. It is really tragic for the animals as much as the people involved, whether you are the owner of the rental property of the one getting evicted. I hope this can be resolved in the cats' best interest as well as yours.
    PennyG
    I agree. There are too many animals and not enough homes, and the people who thought they could take care of so many are losing their jobs. Sad for all. But, they should have mentioned the 9 dogs and 46 cats before signing a lease. Bad for the cats but OP isn't at fault. Someone with an old house or trailer should rent to them.

Looks like some footage inside the current house along with some of the cats available for adoption here:

http://meowbarkblog.com/2009/03/02/c...their-46-cats/

Lots of buffering issues even on my cable internet connection, so I haven't watched all of it.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

My landlord charges a $350 non-refundable pet fee and $100 per additional pet. City ordinance limits us to 3 pets total. I hope you have collected the same, especially if they are bringing in un-neutered male cats.

These people have already manipulated you into changing the terms from 7-9 and the conveniently failed to mention the cats. Find other renters, you are on the road to trouble here.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Yikes...watched the video. Now I know why she's got 46 cats...she's introducing a bunch trying to find homes for them and many are 8 months and older and "not fixed yet." Many sibling cats, males and females, etc. Could be why she has so many kittens. She also has been taking them from local shelters? Why?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

This is not like me, I usually side with animals. However in this case I would consider do you want to take on tenants who might have a mental/psychological condition? Animals aside if they have issues are you up to dealing with them in all other aspects (other than the animals)? Some people can take this in stride. Just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Yikes...watched the video. Now I know why she's got 46 cats...she's introducing a bunch trying to find homes for them and many are 8 months and older and "not fixed yet." Many sibling cats, males and females, etc. Could be why she has so many kittens. She also has been taking them from local shelters? Why?
    I KNOW. My lord, when she said one of them had 'come out of the shelter' my first thought was what the hell kind of shelter adopts to someone with forty-odd cats? Also, two seven-month-old females in a house with an eight-month old intact male?

They seem like basically nice people. Their house at least doesn't look like the 120-cat nightmare on "Animal Cops Detroit". HOWEVER. I would not rent to these people until I had PROOF, as in before my own eyes, all but maybe two dogs and two cats were gone, and all of those animals were neutered and I would want it in writing that acquiring any other pets would be grounds for immediate termination of their lease. That would be incredibly generous compared to most landlords.

Pony-the background of the video shows stacks of junk and cat beds all over the kitchen counters! I know they're getting ready to move but trust me on this-those cats are coming too, and I bet they have more than nine dogs by the time you go by to inspect too.

A rental house up the street from me was rented by a nice young couple who only had three dogs. First night they moved in (after dark) the neighbors wondered what all of the noise was. There were actually ten dogs, and they were only permitted three according to the lease, several of us called the rental agents and complained. The next thing you know there were more dogs moving in and out but staying at about ten-she had run a pet rescue (at $400+ per puppy she was charging as much as that stupid pet store here) where she lived before and she was back at it again (evidence was on petfinder.com and she signed a lease that prohibited businesses in the house) after lying to the agent and saying she wasn't going to do rescue in the house. All of the neighbors were sick of the barking, traffic and sheer arrogance of these people-next thing you know the local codes enforcement and animal control showed up and she was fined for her violations (she also kept most of them caged in kennels in the kitchen I found out later). She did reduce the number of dogs (and the price) but the rental people never did anything about her-and they still can't rerent the house. I suspect the accidents from the rug rose back to the top, and now the lease prohibits pets. Fortunately since they were military they can go after them for damages, but people like that ruin it for other pet owners who need to rent.

The renters have already lied, and appear to think they can increase the number of animals and you'll be nice and allow it. Since they already moved in you're screwed-you can't get them out in time to prevent damage to your property. You might have enough evidence from the newspaper article and video to prove they broke their side of the agreement, and if not you will soon when move the cats in. Since they moved in already you need to arrange regular visits -unfortunately most inspections require advanced notice (at least around here). You need to check the local ordnances about renter's rights and follow all the rules exactly so you don't end up in the wrong. I truly believe that if you drive by you'll see a whole bunch of little furry faces looking out the window too, and a lot more than you ever agreed to. Are you friends with any of the neighbors? If you are make sure they have your contact information so they call you first. And I wonder if the tenants will pay you when they didn't pay the bills before. Make sure the utility bills are all in their names or you'll be on the hook for that too.

Housebroken animals can have accidents too, and when she moves the cats in (you know she will) there's not way all of them are litter box trained and never have any accidents. The intact ones will cause a mess too. Don't intact male cats mark? That will sink right into the baseboards and whatever they mark.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Crazy people. I'm wishing you the best of luck in dealing with this situation... this is one of the reasons I would never consider renting out a house to anyone. They don't care if they destroy everything. They have nothing to lose and you will never get back what you lost. That's not even taking into consideration the stress of dealing with it!! I don't know how landlords do it!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I finally got through the video - with all the intact younger cats, they're not going to 'just' have 46 cats - they'll soon have 92 and then 120 and then ... I caught the part about the shelter adoptee too. And it sounded like they let a lot of the cats be indoor/outdoor which is not going to go over well with a lot of the neighbors.

I don't think these are bad people. Their intentions were good, but have gotten way out of hand. I do think that there is some sort of issue there with saving as many as possible and apparently not adopting any out until now when forced to do so. I certainly would not want them in a house I owned, nor would I want them as next door neighbors.

You can't save all of them. Cold hard truth.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Default Update on my renters

I have been reading all of your posts, and thank you all for your advice. They moved in on Sunday, the article was published today. I sat her down this afternoon with a lease amendment that is very clear on the fact that no more than the nine dogs are to be in or around the property period. I also confronted her about the lying. She seemed to be taken aback. I made it very clear that they will be evicted if one other animal is found on the property. No hamsters, parakeets, turtles, what have you... My house sits on 10 acres in the country, so I think people just assume that the more the merrier when it comes to animals. I have ripped all the carpets out from a previous tenant who neglected to let their dogs out to relieve themselves. Now the entire house consists of a heavy duty flooring that can be sanitized between renters. I've had it for three years now, and it holds up really well. I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I have a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach... I will let you all know how it turns out...
    Sailing the high seas but secretly wishing to be on the back of a horse.