The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Ain't this some S@%$T, (pardon my French)...

Ok, so I'm mainly venting but kind of want some advice. I just recently rented my home to two people who are going into foreclosure. When I spoke with them about the house they said they had 9 dogs. Ok, so that's a lot of dogs and most people would turn them away. But I agreed to let them rent the property with the understanding that two of the dogs were to be rehomed leaving them with 7. We get to the lease signing and I am told, "oh by the way we have 12 cats." Well my jaw about hit the floor. I felt I was being very generous in allowing 7 dogs onto my property. I said absolutely not. You will have to find homes for them. So we sign the lease and they begin to move in. Then I come to find out they do in fact still have 9 dogs. The lease says 7. So I have ammended the lease to include no more than the 9 original dogs on the property. Then I wake up this morning, grab the newspaper and find this article:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...3022009/449171

Tell me what you think. Am I crazy?
    Sailing the high seas but secretly wishing to be on the back of a horse.

Oh my! That is an insane amount of cats! I am not sure I would be really thrilled to have them as tenants!

I think you have a very big heart to take the 9 dogs. It is ok to say no. I think you were very wise to say no to the cats. I know it says they are all housebroken but I would think you would have to put a lot of work into your house once the tenants moved out--if you let them bring 46 cats!

You are very generous, amending the lease for 9 dogs, when you originally agreed on 7. They signed the lease for the dogs, and did not disclose the cats, so that is their problem.

The article does not make the landlord of their rental property look like a mean person - it looks more to be an appeal for people to adopt some of their 46 cats rather than see them starve.

So, if you are worried about looking like a bad person - don't.

You are kind of crazy to allow those people into your house and watch them carefully, they look to be the type to...um...not disclose or stretch the truth.

Kind of like that kid that is told they aren't allowed any pets and next thing you know he's hiding a hamster in his room....

I am beginning to think I have stepped in a big pile of doo doo, no pun intended. I have however contacted the county to discuss my legal rights and am pretty confident that I will be able to evict if it comes to that. I understand wanting to help animals, but come on, if it means the difference between keeping your house... I think it may be a sickness. Like hoarding. We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    You are kind of crazy to allow those people into your house and watch them carefully, they look to be the type to...um...not disclose or stretch the truth.

Kind of like that kid that is told they aren't allowed any pets and next thing you know he's hiding a hamster in his room....
    You are right, the truth has been streched on a few occasions with these two. The amendment is very clear. Hopefully it will be a deterent.

Let me get this straight...you are renting your place to a couple who is in foreclosure and has 9 dogs...and 12 cats, and this news article surprises you?
    I see nothing but a headache for you.
    Run as fast as you can....

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Pardon my French, but.... Merde!!! et Zut Alors!!!!!

So those are your tenants featured in that article?
    They have breached your lease agreement and you are justified in giving them notice to vacate.
    Of course, speaking as a former landlord (and depending on the law in your state) that could take months.

Please don't tell me they keep this menagerie inside your house.
    I would tell them to take their bleeding hearts to a Home Depot ASAP and buy some kennel materials to get those dogs outside.
    As for the cats - no fruitbattin' way would I allow tenants to keep that many cats inside my rental property!
    I hope you at least collected a hefty damage deposit as you will most likely be needing it.

Live & learn - I could tell you some horror stories involving tenants. It appears to be part of the game.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

It is A LOT like hoarding - while they are taking in strays, and my grandma had 20 cats in her house at one point. There is a major difference. My grandma worked with the local animal shelter. She was retired, so she had time to nurse the babies until they could eat on their own, at which time they would be sent back for adoption. She also agreed to take in many unadoptables and give them a home rather than having to put them down. These were older cats, cats with behavior issues that made them unappealing for people with young kids (such as fear of people making them hide or tend to scratch and bite).

She also took in cats on temporary basis when they were sick and needed just time and medication to heal.

She also took them to the vet and had them euthanized, if deemed necessary (we won't mention that she's stolen neglected dogs and cats from neighbors, taken them to the vet and some were euthanized on the spot due to unfixable problems that resulted from neglect).

These people are taking in strays, but not rehoming them, just collecting. I would not want to buy that foreclosed home and you will have to do a lot to your home when they are done renting. I hope you asked for a pet deposit!

I guess I can identify to some degree as a cat lover who has rescued quite a few and have about 15. I also have rescued alot of dogs. I worry about all these animals that are the "silent victims" of this economic mess and lose homes along with their caregivers. It's just too sad. I fully understand your position regarding renting your house as I have a mobile home on my farm I rent (or try to keep rented). It's a real headache. I don't have a solution. I hope the article in the paper might help on placing the cats, but there are just so many pets needing help and so many people who are no longer able to take them. Maybe a rescue group could help out or a pet store could have an adoption day for them. I know some of the rescues here use pet stores or other venues to get animals adopted. The fosters are full and the shelters don't keep them long. It is really tragic for the animals as much as the people involved, whether you are the owner of the rental property of the one getting evicted. I hope this can be resolved in the cats' best interest as well as yours.
    PennyG

If anyone needs some barn cats, let me know. Or contact the paper. Most of them are already neutered.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I'm all for rescuing animals--if you have your own place! If you have to rely on the kindness of strangers to rent to you then you have to rethink your position.

I would never expect someone who rents me a place to live to take in my animals.... I know things can change in a blink of an eye, but these folks are being foreclosed on--it doesn't happen that fast, does it? Generally people have some kind of notice they are going into foreclosure, even if it's a month or two.

It's kind of you to take in those dogs (personally I would not have). Yes, that sounds cruel but I have had animals and I know what kind of damage can be done--I would not be interested in that as a lessor. Humans create enough problems when they rent without dragging animals into the mix.

Just the fact that they weren't upfront with you about their entire situation would be enough to turn me off. I would rather people tell me the truth about something--no matter how bad it might be--than for me to read about it in a newspaper or hear about it from someone else! It doesn't do much as far as instilling trust in my mind about them.

Even I don't have 46 cats! I don't know how they could have provided care for that many adequately. These folks should have started re-homing them after the first couple of cats--the fact that they have 46 is a testament to how difficult it is to rehome a cat in this society....

The fact that they were not upfront with you about their situation could probably be considered fraud on their part.

Just remember--no good deed goes unpunished!

Good luck!
    "Marriage is like a deck of cards--it starts with two hearts and a diamond and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade." ~seen on an anniversary card~

I have not read all of the other replies but I do think you are nuts to allow all those pets unless you don't mind having your property absolutely destroyed. I don't care how well behaved those pets are, that many in a residence is a health issue and is going to pose substantially more than the ordinary amount of wear and tear on the place. I have tenants and no longer permit remodeling projects, numerous animals, etc because I am tired of having to repeatedly redo my very nice house just to get it back to where it was when turned over to tenants.

In addition, I would be very concerned that these people obviously like media attention and are trying to gain public support / empathy by whining to the newspaper about their predicament (and btw, I noticed in the article that the represented they were permitted to bring NINE dogs to the rental property, when apparently the agreement was that they could only take seven). So, if you do end up having to evict them, be prepared to see "their side" splashed all over the papers also. It is sad that the animals are helpless in all of this, but I don't see why that means you have to foot the bill for damage that will inevitably occur if these people move their menagerie in.

FWIW, I just bought a condo where the former owner had a Sharpei and two cats, and the place absolutely reaked from the animals (and yes she did walk the dog / clean the cat litter). I also had to spend $$$$ having all the ducts cleaned out as they were clogged with pet hair, and we had to replace the HVAC because the former owner never bothered to change the filters in the 5 years she was there. We also have to replace the wood flooring as it is rotted in places from pet urine as a result of accidents over the years.

I would want photos of the condition of the house they are leaving. If it looks like I suspect it will look, I'd be very hardcore about the pets.

They were very dishonest with you. That tells me they know they have a problem but are in some level of denial.

Quote Originally Posted by PONY751 View Post
    We get to the lease signing and I am told, "oh by the way we have 12 cats." Well my jaw about hit the floor. I felt I was being very generous in allowing 7 dogs onto my property. I said absolutely not. You will have to find homes for them. So we sign the lease and they begin to move in.

Tell me what you think. Am I crazy?

I don't know you well enough to make that diagnosis...

BUT...I would say that, if I were you, I never would have signed a lease agreement with people who waited until the lease signing to give me a "BTW..." statement. They would seem sneaky to me...a BIG red flag that would have been a deal-breaker for me.

Good luck!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

One wonders if they would have been able to pay their mortage if they had fewer animals. God knows my 7 cats and 2 dogs cost a LOT every month. I can't imagine what their feed bill and vets bills look like.

Not really pertaining to YOUR situation but: My heart goes out to those people. Lets try not to fall into condemnation...we don't KNOW these folks!! You just need to make a decision that you feel comfortable with and stick to it.

And as a person that was NOT formerly a cat person...I now have 6...(oh my) Cats just seem to happen. All of mine but one were rescued as tiny kittens ...who knew they were so hard to rehome!!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
    Not really pertaining to YOUR situation but: My heart goes out to those people. Lets try not to fall into condemnation...we don't KNOW these folks!! You just need to make a decision that you feel comfortable with and stick to it.

And as a person that was NOT formerly a cat person...I now have 6...(oh my) Cats just seem to happen. All of mine but one were rescued as tiny kittens ...who knew they were so hard to rehome!!
    birdsong:
    6 kittens is a far cry from 46 cats!

That many animals & losing their home to foreclosure smacks of a Hoarding Syndrome.
    Not healthy for the people or animals involved.
    There is some Major Denial going on here and OP does not need to get sucked into it.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    One wonders if they would have been able to pay their mortage if they had fewer animals. God knows my 7 cats and 2 dogs cost a LOT every month. I can't imagine what their feed bill and vets bills look like.
    Conversely if times are that hard on them, what care have they neglected for these dogs and cats, and is it really a situation those animals should be in/deserve?

Just because you take animals from a bad place does not mean you can cut corners and not do what you are supposed to do for them.
    If you were a horse rescue, for example and took in so many horse [say 40-50] but then could not afford their vaccinations, farrier care or dental care [who could with that many?]... how is that better for the horses than the neglect you may have taken them out of?

These folks have not used the best judgement in the world and maybe they haven't tried very hard to re-home the cats. However, the article in the paper did state he lost his construction job and has a much lower-paying job now, which probably led to the foreclosure.

I know cats are hard to re-home and alot of people have an "attitude" about cats, but guess what -- they are victims, have feelings and deserve a home -- even though it is not the OP's problem! Instead of condeming their kind hearts -- and hoarders don't usually take the initiative to neuter or even feed them very well -- maybe some help and good ideas in placing these cats would be time better spent. No one knows how the news story came about, but it could be useful in a positive way. Maybe the newspaper would help with making an adoption venue public information.

If I were closer I'd take one -- helping animals is not about "needing" another --
    (as I tell my sister all the time) -- which I certainly don't, it's the fact that they need help and you might be their last hope. Every cat placed is a positive step. Compassion is as free as criticism.
    PennyG