The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's the best value joint suppliment for multiple horses?

I have many horses, so in these days of cost cuttings, don't need to be ADDING to my feed bills. However, I've found a feed that says it has Glucosomine and Chrondrotin Sulfate IN IT......that sounds interesting (a cheaper way to feed..It's $$1.25 per bag more than the same feed without it.........and I fiture I'd feed six bags per month to each horse.....costing $7.50 per horse for about 10000 MG of Glucosomine and 8400 of CS per day. Of course, I've ready the molicular structure of these suppliments can effect their absorption in to the bloodstream...????

Is this a good "cost"/value? or is there a better suppliment for effectiveness and cost?

I'd love to feed the big names (recently loved platnium performance CJ and Cosaquin ASU) but can't afford it for the many I'd like to protect...........

Comments/suggestions????
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I used a variety of glucosamine (sulfate) supps over the years at varying costs.
    Can't say I noticed a radical difference in any of the 3 horses I fed them to over a span of some 5 years.
    Due to cost I cut out the supplement completely for about a year.

I recently - say maybe a year ago - switched to plain MSM and I have to say it appears to be doing a bangup job of keeping both my 27yo TB and 15yo TWH in good condition.
    Both have spent some of the coldest days this Winter playfighting outside like a couple of yearlings.

A month's supply of 99.9% pure MSM runs me about $20 for both horses.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Dr. Eleanor Kellon's book, "Horse Journal Guide to Equine Supplements And Nutraceuticals" says Grand Flex from Grand Meadows is a top economical choice.

I totally second the MSM!!! I have also used a variety of glucosamine and chrondrotin supps over the years.... some were OK, others didn't do much.

Best results I have seen were from 10,000 mg MSM! My gelding looks great and it is $9 and change per month. I use the SmartMSM pellets from Smartpak.

I don't use one now, but when I had my old horse I tried a variety of supplements and the only one I saw any difference with at all was Cosequin. I haven't tried the Grand Flex so that might be a good option, but I did try MSM and it did nothing. The best remedy I found was actually Adequan injections, but it was pricey. The horse I used it on had problems though - it wasn't just for general "maintenance." Good luck, and I'll be interested to check back and see what you decide on.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Another fan of MSM. I have fed Cosequin, hoof supplements and done Adequan and Legend. I think MSM has the most bang for the buck.

I like this one: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/Prod...flexsenior.htm
    I give it to our mare even though she's not considered 'senior' I like the added probiotic in it. They also have it in a non-senior formula.

I just ordered the MSM, and have been using Adequan for a few of them that are in a lot of work and will continue to do that ..........I'm still toying with the Tribute Feed with Glucosomine and Chrondrotin Sulfate in it........wish it had a little more fat (only 6 %.....and I like a minimum of 8, and prefer ten%).....they have another feed with 10/10/10 and the suppliments, but it's pretty pricey......
    Yea, I know we get what we pay for, right???
    thanks for the opinions......
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

I recently switched to Total Joint Care from Ramard. At half the recommended dosage, it contains 100 mg HA, 3000 mg glucosamine, 1500 mg chondroitin but only 1500 mg MSM. I can't do the supplement added grain b/c everyone here gets varying amounts(a few easy keepers). You could add supplemental MSM to get to 10,000 mg/day. I will say the Total Joint is a fine powder, so if you're feeding with pellets, you may need to add something to make it stick. Still, at .87 per day per horse, it's an inexpensive HA source for 100 mg HA/day (it's billed as being pharmaceutical grade high molecular weight HA) and you get the added benefit or chondroitin and glucosamine. If you order through KV vet, you don't have to pay shipping, either.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I have had both of my senior horses on Fluid Action HA from Finish Line with good results. The older mare also gets B-L Solution which helps her sore feet.

You can also do some price comparisons (and amounts of each ingredient) on the SmartPakEquine website.

Generic Adaquon! I pay $100/bottle for a very large bottle with enough to dose quite a few horses for less then having everyone on MSM

The Smart Pak website has some good comparison charts that break it down by exactly what is in different joint supplements and the cost per day - check them out:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Charts/JointCompare.html

Their own brand of joint supplements seem like a good deal... I am also a fan of MSM, especially as far as value and I saw very good results from Corta-Flex.

Animed Pureflex. Great product. Good price.

http://www.horsehealthusa.com/detail...ex/593-71.html

What is the generic Adequan? Where do you get it? Is it EXACTLY the same?////yeah!!!

What it is is injectable glucosamine. I actually find some horses do better on it then the regular Adaquon. It is so cost effective that I have EVERY horse that is in work on it. What is great is that you can really does them before a show to help the older ones get through without joint soreness (no it does not show up on tests, at least it didn't use to). I get it from my vet.

Actiflex and Chondroflex have both proven to work for my horses. SmartPaks joint supplements work well too, but they don't come in large enough containers to make them economical if you really have a lot of horses.