The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Good luck and have fun!
    I don't see the white breeches at schooling shows that often, but I do see them. I prefer the tan as well. White shows dirt, and I think my butt looks bigger.

I trotted my first xc course last year as well. So nice to see others out there as well.
    AND I missed a fence. So walk your course more than once!

But it was great fun.
    "A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what a ship is for."

Default Thank for the tip retread...

But I think we have it covered. She's been out schooling lots of times, and done many a hunter pace, sometimes leading, sometimes following. She looks at me kind of funny when we hit an arena, so stadium is what we need to school more. I think logs and coops make more "sense" to her than flowers and colored poles.

And Minuet - I will be walking my course...and maybe drawing it. I draw bridge and road plans for a living so I"m VERY into maps.

Have fun Mrs. Cowboy!!

Two years ago I did several events at Elementary with my mare and we trotted the entire XC course (and were 2nd twice ).

Have fun and relax and you soon will be totally hooked like the rest of us .

When did people start calling a horse trials a "horse trial"? It is not a trial. It is a horse trials. Horses compete in more than one phase. Ergo, trials plural.

Grammar perfectionist here plus traditionalist.

Default Good Question Well Spotted...

I have no idea! (I only started calling it a Horse trial after being told is wasn't a three-day!)

I think the differences are also largely regional, as Many folks here call any combination of dressage, stadium and XC a "3-day" even if it's not the proper verbiage. I get more confused looks when I call is a Horse trial(s).

Damn Lazy Californians.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Cowboy View Post
    I have no idea! (I only started calling it a Horse trial after being told is wasn't a three-day!)

I think the differences are also largely regional, as Many folks here call any combination of dressage, stadium and XC a "3-day" even if it's not the proper verbiage. I get more confused looks when I call is a Horse trial(s).

Damn Lazy Californians.
    Don't let anyone make you stress about it -- you are not the only one confused. There has always been a challenge with eventing nomenclature.

First, everything other than a long format starred event (one star, two star, three star, four star) is a "Horse Trials". That means Beginner Novice through Advanced -- if there are no "stars" associated with it, it is a "Horse Trials" (yes, there is an "s" but I'm pretty sure we all knew what you were talking about without it!). Most of the time a "Three Day Event" is held within a "Horse Trials" as there are both starred classes and regular classes. A notable exception would be Rolex Kentucky which only has the CCI**** and has no "Horse Trials" component.

The long format starred events were true "Three Day Events". Now, the short format starred events are also (I believe) called "Three Day Events" even though there is no roads and tracks/steeplechase, which in my mind is what made them true "Three Day Events" but that's a whole other conversation.

For a long time Horse Trials and Three Day Events were all under the umbrella term of "Combined Training" back when USEA was called "United States Combined Training Association (USCTA)". Our own organization thought it was confusing so changed the name to United States Eventing Association (USEA).

Putting all that aside -- forget the nomenclature and go have some fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    When did people start calling a horse trials a "horse trial"? It is not a trial. It is a horse trials. Horses compete in more than one phase. Ergo, trials plural.

It seems both are used.

Badminton is "Badminton Horse Trials".

But the USEF rules for Eventing use "Horse Trial" (no s) to refer to a single competition, and only use "Horse Trials" when refering to multiple competitions.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    For a long time Horse Trials and Three Day Events were all under the umbrella term of "Combined Training" back when USEA was called "United States Combined Training Association (USCTA)". Our own organization thought it was confusing so changed the name to United States Eventing Association (USEA).
    I am pretty sure that "our organization" was simply following the lead of the FEI in changing from "Combined Training" to "Eventing". Not initiated here!.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    It seems both are used.

Badminton is "Badminton Horse Trials".

But the USEF rules for Eventing use "Horse Trial" (no s) to refer to a single competition, and only use "Horse Trials" when refering to multiple competitions.
    Interesting. Would multiple competitions mean multiple venues or just multiple levels offered at one show? For example, If only Advanced is offered is it a Horse Trial but if Prelim through Advanced is offered is it a Horse Trials?

Interesting. Would multiple competitions mean multiple venues or just multiple levels offered at one show? For example, If only Advanced is offered is it a Horse Trial but if Prelim through Advanced is offered is it a Horse Trials?
    It seems to mean the entire competition. For instance EV122
    2. ORGANIZATION. Tests may be offered as separate competitions, or may be organized in conjunction with a Horse Trial or an Event. They usually take place on one day.
    Not necesarily "different venues", just different competitions.
    For instance SPHT1 would be "a Horse Trial", but "SPHT1 and 2" would be "Horse Trials".

Generally the usage is "...a Horse Trial or an Event" or "...(multiple) Horse Trials or Events"

But the rule book is not 100 % consistent in its usage.
    Janet

I am pretty sure that "our organization" was simply following the lead of the FEI in changing from "Combined Training" to "Eventing". Not initiated here!.
    Ahhh... another point for the FEI. I stand corrected. I remember there being a fairly big marketing campaign about the new name better describing our sport from USEA, so maybe that is why I assumed it originated there.

I confess that USCTA still slips out of my mouth from time to time.... not as frequently as it did for the first couple of years but still makes it way. Didn't both USCTA (now USEA) AND AHSA (now USEF) both changes their names the same year? I was always calling one (or both!) of them by the wrong name!

Just goes to show -- what's in a name?

It seems to mean the entire competition. For instance EV122

Not necesarily "different venues", just different competitions.
    For instance SPHT1 would be "a Horse Trial", but "SPHT1 and 2" would be "Horse Trials".

Generally the usage is "...a Horse Trial or an Event" or "...(multiple) Horse Trials or Events"

But the rule book is not 100 % consistent in its usage.
    So, see.... Mrs. Cowboy -- you were ahead of your time!

Didn't both USCTA (now USEA) AND AHSA (now USEF) both changes their names the same year? I was always calling one (or both!) of them by the wrong name!
    Even worse. AHSA -> USAEq (aka USAE) -> USEF

Having USEA and USAE at the same time was REALLY confusing.
    Janet

Even worse. AHSA -> USAEq (aka USAE) -> USEF

Having USEA and USAE at the same time was REALLY confusing.
    I had forgotten all about USAE! That was bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post

I think that it's because it's so hard to think singular but speak plural.

"I am going to a horse trial" sounds more reasonable than "I am going to a horse trials".