The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying a Devoucoux in France

We are planning a trip to Europe this summer and will be in Biarritz visiting friends. The Devoucoux factory is there and I was wondering if anyone had gotten a saddle from them in France. Our friends could take delivery of it and then ship it to the US for us if necessary.

Has anyone done this? I was wondering what type of price we could get. I have no idea what they retail for in France. Any input would be great.

Hi,
    I'm not sure buying one here (I'm french) would be interesting for you. Taxes are very expensive here and the euro is quite strong.
    A Devoucoux Malika is sold 2700 euros (3413,88 US dollars). Shipping such a heavy item from France to the US should be expensive too.

"Calme, en avant, droit et léger".

I don't know what a Malika is but we are looking at the Biarritz and in the US it is $4,200 Grained Leather, $4,600 all Calfskin, $5,200 all Buffalo. So that $3400 looks like quite a bargain. Shipping isn't a ton and I could also subtract the 17% VAT tax as long as I proved that it left France which is similar to buying watches etc. You pay the VAT if they don't directly ship it or else you get the refund once it is in the States.

Then, I think you shouldn't have it delivered and ship to your friends, but buy it directly and bring it back with you.
    I had no idea it was so expensive in the US. It's not always the case and you can sometimes find french items cheaper outside of EU.
    Enjoy your trip in Europe.

The biarritz is the first saddle in the list : 3413,88 US dollars for the standard one.

Thank you for the information. I am going to contact Devoucoux in France and see what they say. I think that with those prices it seems to be much cheaper to buy in France. I have no idea why it is so much more in the US AND we don't pay the VAT taxes which are 19.6%. I stand corrected I googled VAT in France and got that number. It would be about the same price as buying a used saddle here.

Minus VAT the price is 2166 euro or approximately $2750 USD.

If you hold your reciept, you may be able to get the VAT returned to you at customs on the way out. I have done this before with expensive handbags.

Why exactly is everything so much cheaper in europe? GPA's, sergios, saddles...what's different? Is just that they have to be shipped over here b/c that should only be a few hundred right?

Shipping from France and Germany is very expensive - I've had many items shipped from there. Don't forget, while you may not have to pay VAT - you will have to pay duty when the saddle goes through customs.

And what if the saddle doesn't fit right...

Quote Originally Posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post
    Why exactly is everything so much cheaper in europe? GPA's, sergios, saddles...what's different? Is just that they have to be shipped over here b/c that should only be a few hundred right?
    My guess would be import tariffs on leather goods. If a saddle is made in france and the leather is tanned in france, that isn't subject to french tariffs, but when it's sent here, it is, so it gets taxed on its composition as well as value. Plus adjustments for the value of the dollar, and demand (seems we're willing to actually pay $5000 for a saddle, so, why not charge that?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    My guess would be import tariffs on leather goods. If a saddle is made in france and the leather is tanned in france, that isn't subject to french tariffs, but when it's sent here, it is, so it gets taxed on its composition as well as value. Plus adjustments for the value of the dollar, and demand (seems we're willing to actually pay $5000 for a saddle, so, why not charge that?!)
    That's unfortunate. I always buy used or demo saddles b/c I can't stomach the idea of dropping $5k on a saddle. Sure would be nice if there was an American made saddle of comparable quality....or even just some production of the current saddles in America. Are Tad Coffin's made in the US? They're pretty pricey so I suppose it is what the buyers are willing to pay more then anything else if they are.

Not to derail but does anyone know if Christan got her situation with Devoucoux resolved?

We are getting a normal width tree and wouldn't have to do a custom saddle except we need a long flap that I can't find used anywhere. So, it isn't a truly "custom" saddle except for a 4 flap on a 17" seat. I'm not really that worried about it fitting. She's sat in that size before.

Has anyone paid the duty on a saddle like this? I can't find it online anywhere. I guess I'll have to talk to the customs agent before we leave to make sure it is worth it.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    Not to derail but does anyone know if Christan got her situation with Devoucoux resolved?
    Yes. She certainly did.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by hype View Post
    We are getting a normal width tree and wouldn't have to do a custom saddle except we need a long flap that I can't find used anywhere. So, it isn't a truly "custom" saddle except for a 4 flap on a 17" seat. I'm not really that worried about it fitting. She's sat in that size before.

Has anyone paid the duty on a saddle like this? I can't find it online anywhere. I guess I'll have to talk to the customs agent before we leave to make sure it is worth it.
    Make sure you get a quote for insured shipping first as well. France to U.S. (more expensive than the other way, I believe) Don't forget that they charge by parcel dimensions in addition to weight.

The duty would be less if you were bringing back with you due to the traveller's exemption. I haven't had to pay duty lately, but I recall it being in the 5-10% range. I wouldn't doubt it if the percentage has increased in the last couple of years.

Forgot to mention the penalty for a false customs declaration is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by WorthTheWait95 View Post

So sorry to hijack- how much less do those items run abroad?

If you can "use" the saddle, the duty would be less. Many people who go to Germany to buy cars will take them for a spin before having them shipped over so they are considered used when the ship over.

When I was living in England my mother sent me over a box of stuff I figured out I needed. My full chaps and soccer cleats and shin gaurds. Before they would release the box to me I had to pay a heft duty charge (like around $200!) because where she had marked "USED" on the form had been covered up by another layer of forms and they considered the items to be new. I can only imagine what the charge would have been on a high ticket item like a saddle. We finally did get the situation straightened out and I got my money back, but obviously had they been new, I would not have.

Quote Originally Posted by maclaydreams View Post
    So sorry to hijack- how much less do those items run abroad?
    You can get GPA's b/t $200 and $300 US through some european sites (some models are even under $200) and sergios for around $400-500 US. Apparently you can get saddles much cheaper too which I learned from this thread. HUGE difference from the US prices.