The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nutrena Vitality ULTRA

I posted this on horse care thread but thought I'd try here also...anyone have a horse go completely CRAZY,NUTS on this feed??? Our BO/trainer just switched (cold turkey, no mixing of old with new)the show horses from Nutrena XTN to the Vitality, 4 days ago,and our normally calm show horse has been a freak!!I turned her out in the indoor yesterday AFTER being ridden and Lunged for 45 minutes and she ran around with tail in the air, bunny hopping and snorting like a stallion with a herd of mares in heat waiting for him!!! She's on Regumate so I know she's not comming into heat.Then today she hacked better(almost her old self) but when we went to jump a little 2 foot vertical she jumped about 6' over it and bucked in mid air, landed and took off ,flipping her head like a maniac.She's a 4' schoolmaster showhunter/Big Eq for a Junior rider and we've owned her almost 2 years now and I have NEVER seen anything like this before!We tried to jump her some more but she only jumped harder and got worse!She injured her knee last week with a shallow puncture and had vet out who put her on SMZ's and a pressure wrap for a couple of days, but she was handwalked everyday, she is perfectly sound, puncture healled well, no heat swelling, finished 5 days of SMZ's.I guess she could be hurting somewhere else, but this definetely seems like a brain thing to me...anyone have any thoughts before I call the vet tomorrow.She's suppose to head to the shows down south next week but I can't send her like Tthis!

Quote Originally Posted by Equsrider View Post
    I posted this on horse care thread but thought I'd try here also...anyone have a horse go completely CRAZY,NUTS on this feed??? Our BO/trainer just switched (cold turkey, no mixing of old with new)the show horses from Nutrena XTN to the Vitality, 4 days ago,and our normally calm show horse has been a freak!!I turned her out in the indoor yesterday AFTER being ridden and Lunged for 45 minutes and she ran around with tail in the air, bunny hopping and snorting like a stallion with a herd of mares in heat waiting for him!!! She's on Regumate so I know she's not comming into heat.Then today she hacked better(almost her old self) but when we went to jump a little 2 foot vertical she jumped about 6' over it and bucked in mid air, landed and took off ,flipping her head like a maniac.She's a 4' schoolmaster showhunter/Big Eq for a Junior rider and we've owned her almost 2 years now and I have NEVER seen anything like this before!We tried to jump her some more but she only jumped harder and got worse!She injured her knee last week with a shallow puncture and had vet out who put her on SMZ's and a pressure wrap for a couple of days, but she was handwalked everyday, she is perfectly sound, puncture healled well, no heat swelling, finished 5 days of SMZ's.I guess she could be hurting somewhere else, but this definetely seems like a brain thing to me...anyone have any thoughts before I call the vet tomorrow.She's suppose to head to the shows down south next week but I can't send her like Tthis!
    I don't have any personal experience w/ Nutrena but lots of posters on here have said that it made their horses hot? ....maybe an adverse reaction to something in that feed? or maybe its way higher in starch/sugar than the XTN? those would be my first thoughts....keep in mind though that hand walking probably isn't going to exude the same kind of exercise and mobility that they'd have when turned out....it is alot colder than last week-maybe that has something to do w/ it as well....and she might also still be anticipating the pain from her knee.

that's what I was wondering...about the hotness?Its just she's more than fresh,as in a horse whose been laid up for a few days...I researched the feed nutritional differences between XTN and the Ultra the Ultra has 75 mg/lb of vitamin C in it and also the "smart grain technology" whatever THAT is.Apparantaly its suppose to maintain their glucose levels...It also has Theonine .45% which is not in the XTN, I have no idea what that is for, or does? I have decieded to bring her home today to turn her out outside,,, and I'm taking her off the Ultra ASAP and see if that makes a difference

I have fed Nutrena Ultra with no problems with my horses being hot. I had 3 TB's on it and they were all fine with it. I actually switched my horses off of it due to them being too plump on it. Ultra is 12% protein, 12% fat. Is it possible your horse is getting way too much? I know with the XTN that you don't feed near as much as other feeds but I wonder if your barn is feeding too much of the Ultra.

Its certainly possible...she is getting the same amount of the Ultra as she was the XTN as she was the custom oat mix I had her on at home before we went to trainers barn for the winter.She's a very Hard keeper, to maintain show horse type weight...and she usually eats like a cat.Put it in her bowl and she'll pick at it all day.Right now, on 2 scoops grain 2x day and all the alfalfa mix hay she can eat you can still feel her ribs.*I know feed should be weighed for accuracy, but trainer won't do it*She was treated for ulcers in November with 3 weeks of Ulcerguard and began to eat like a normal horse...afterwards I put her on the aloe vera juice and papaya puree daily maintance with Ulcerguard in times of shipping and shows. I also put her on 1/4 day dose of the ulcerguard again last week while she was on the banamine and SMZ's because she seemed like her belly was bothering her.Yesterday however,I noticed she is eating like a normal horse again, must be the ulcerguard... and so perhaps she has bombarded her systems with all these nutrients all at once rather than her typical grazing her grain method. She is truly a PITA to feed.I do know her very well and can tell long before anyone else if she has an issue, and I try to do the best for her.Its hard though when they're at another barn and I cannot observe her behavior as I do when she is home, and no one at the barn she is at really pays that much attention...as long as shes standing and breathing she is fine!Definetely time to bring her home!

Default XTN to Ultra

I had my guys, 2 TBs and a QH, on XTN and switched them to Ultra as our Nutrena rep said it is basically the same thing and XTN is being phased out in my area. I haven't noticed any change at all in their temperament or behaviour.

I feed Nutrena for my TB hunter, however I don't have any experience with the Ultra or XTN. I feed Safe Choice with is the low sugar/starch formula and my guy is actually calmer on it than any other grain!!! I don't think that it's the grain at all. It's probably just the weather changes and being laid up for a while. Try just chasing her before you ride instead of lunging... I feel that it does more for the horse anyways.

Default Dreams of being a hunter

Said horse was ridden for 40 minutes,then lunged for 15 minutes, and still being wild, then turned out for another 10.She was so bad at turn out I came out of the ring in fear of my life, she was stalking me!!This is extreme atypical behavior for this horse even after stall rest!
    And I'm not one to force them to run.I've had 2 friends loose 2 very nice show horses in the last 2 years who broke a leg in the indoor being chased to run and get their yeha's out!I figure if they want to run or need to run they will on their own!
    I've brought her home and turned her outside with her pasture mate, if she's just fresh, she should be better tonight for her ride.If not, I'm thinking she hurts or its the grain!

Wow, that's just terrible if she's normally very laid back. It's possible that the Ultra has something in there that is causing this. I would think about switching grains as well.

Maybe being turned out more with her buddy will be what she needs.

sierrams1123 Guest

Exclamation I have and Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Equsrider View Post

Althought there may not be much of a difference in the two feeds there is still a difference or they would be the same feed! and the horse knows the difference and always acts in a different way to each feed
    change could be mental or physical
    if the horse is usually very laid back and chill and bucking and being hot is a very odd thing i would think it would have something to do with major change being stalled or injured would not be my first thought i would link it more to being cold and new feed
    if you ask me I would go back to old feed and after a week if she is still acting different then i would worry about hurting
    but if she is hurting she would not be doing more she would be doing less
    but I highly recommend the nutrena feed SafeChoice I love that feed and have seen so many different kinds of horses on that feed that its not even funny and all have kept great weight and have seemed to calmed down and are very healthy
    I feed my 19 year old barrel horse only half a scoop once a day and dont have to worry about his weight and he is pastured 24/7
    when i got him the people told me he was a "hard keeper" and that they had to feed him 2 scoops twice a day of just a sweet feed to keep weight on him as well as pasture so when i got him i was feeding him two scoops of the safe twice a day when i notice how much weigt he was putting on in the matter of a week i knew i had to cut back, he looked like he was in foal
    so i then started to cut down to one scoop twice a day then to half a scoop twice a day then to half a scoop once a day and finally have him right in weight
    also if you are trying to keep weight on a horse i would think someone would have told you to try some beet pulp or you could try Empower by nutrena
    if you like the empower i wouldnt feed it as a main feed because of the price but it is nice with keeping weight as well as giving your horse more stamina not making them hot just a little more energy after a long day of work
    but making your main feed the safe choice and to top it of with about 1/4 a scoop of the empower works aswell
    i love nutrena its awsome feed
    i have not used the vitality but i have used both the safe choice and empower
    and am now using the EnergX on my younger barrel horse
    a freind of mine bought some vitality 12 horse feed today to feed her 4 year old that is in training so i will let her know what you have seen and watch how her horse starts to act and let you know what i notice
    i hope this was of help
    sorry it was so long
    -Sierra

sierrams1123 Guest

i just noticed the date on you post so i am hoping you have figured what is going on with her now but i would still give the safe choice a try!

We feed Ultra....our horses do great on it.....fat, shiney, calm and dappled.

Default Update

Wanted to let you know how things turned out...
    Fortunately horse was NOT sore!(from her knee injury) yea!! I brought her home and turned her out for 3 days, and switched her back to her custom Oat mix and Alfalfa pellets, and have continued on 1/4 tube of the Ulcerguard.She left 2/22/09 to head south to show for a couple of weeks and has been absolutley Amazing, probably the Best she has ever been...If I was to guess I would say that her symptoms were all related to her stomach issues...and that the combo of new feed,injury, stall confinement and meds were just too much!